question about a 'sleeper' pistol....

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Would having the slide stop flush cut and slightly counter sunk defeat the 'sleeper' idea?
The gun is gonna get run. A lot. Not as hard as some, but likely harder than most. Lots of reading and I have come across mention of accidentally pushing the slide stop out of position during some drills.
Thoughts, opinions, internet lore, rumors?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Would having the slide stop flush cut and slightly counter sunk defeat the 'sleeper' idea?
The gun is gonna get run. A lot. Not as hard as some, but likely harder than most. Lots of reading and I have come across mention of accidentally pushing the slide stop out of position during some drills.
Thoughts, opinions, internet lore, rumors?
I've done it at a sanctioned match back before I knew you could do that. It locked the slide back on a garden variety Springfield, and I couldn't push the slide stop back in on the spot (didn't even know that's what had happened) without futzing with the gun later that day. Fortunately it was at the end of a stage when it occurred and the Match Director allowed me to switch guns, so I didn't miss anything.

Even my $700 Fusion has a recessed hole for the slide stop pin.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the feature. I was concerned about it on the 1st pistol I owned that had it. I spoke with a Master Smith that builds heirloom pistols. He stated there were no perceived negative issues with the mod. Since then, I do prefer the mod.

As far as breaking the "sleeper barrier", I really don't think it would be an issue for me.

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
I too prefer this feature on any gun.. Sleeper doesn't have to mean it doesn't have just a touch of Flare imho.. I think for me a sleeper is more of a off the shelf cheaper version pistol.. that is bumped up supremely under the hood so to speak. And just about any avg. 1911 could qualify.. I think back to a couple sleeper cars that my Cousin had when I was a teen. One was a Maverick, and the other was a vega. Heck one guy I knew even done up an old Gremlin, now you want to talk about a sleeper lol. And another one time did a pacer. I do myself prefer the flat pin over the rounded having done both a bunch quite recently not that one is easier than another I just find the flat is usually easier to push out with your finger still some times. If the recess is a little deeper and the ball is actually flush it's harder for me to get my finger to push it out. Jmo..

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
What I have, what I want, and what I can afford don't always come into alignment.
A test run of what I think I want, is kinda like the Hudson's Bay start of an expedition of the 19th century.
A half day's journey of a two year trip to see what I've forgotten, do or do not need, and what I cannot live without.
Hence, the question.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I've bought and sold a shiOt load of 1911s over the last ten years. I've sold a bunch of other guns to get what I have now. I've been blessed over the last decade or do. I've met a stellar master pistolsmith, wonderful friends and the chance to own some damn nice pistols.

Im truly greatful, thank you......you know who you are. :)

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
The one's I've been dealing with aren't looking for fluff and buff. New Kart fit barrels, tightening of slide and frame, new GS fit barrel bushing, New HD ignition sets, new MS housings, New retro tool steel hammers, and TS.. What's under the hood not what's outside. That is a sleeper. Surely you guys are old enough to remember the days of the muscle car, when you could just look at a car and tell it was bad ass by the way it looked and sounded. Well there were also a lot of sleepers during that era, hopped up Vegas, Mavericks, and the like. That's the idea behind the sleeper gun, looks plain on the outside but fit as a fiddle inside with the ability to shoot circles around most other guns that look the same. But, don't have the guts.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Or guns that look all fancy shamnsy and cant shoot.

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
Aesthetics are nice, but just like construction if the foundation is no good what's sitting on top will just fail. Seen plenty of nice looking guns that just shoot okay. Heck some major manufacturers build a bunch of those lol

Latest posts