Post RIA build

PhenomX

Fanatic
After moving on from the ria upgrade I decided it was time for the 80% All In. Stainless steel 1911 builders frame, Fusion slide and chalk full of good parts. Pretty proud of this one as well. This one I did and 9 mm Clark/para and ordered everything I could that needed fitting. Really wasn't interested in any"drop in" parts. It's a miracle, but it actually works, and works pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_145802950~5.jpg
    IMG_20220603_145802950~5.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220604_210120156.jpg
    IMG_20220604_210120156.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Really like what you're doing. Long as they function 100% they are GtG, they all look great

So some advice? When loading pics, post direct to fanatics "attach files" and click on fullsize prior to posting. That way I (and others) can really appreciate your work. Just my .02 and not by any means intended as criticism.

PhenomX

Fanatic
Really like what you're doing. Long as they function 100% they are GtG, they all look great

So some advice? When loading pics, post direct to fanatics "attach files" and click on fullsize prior to posting. That way I (and others) can really appreciate your work. Just my .02 and not by any means intended as criticism.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll do that.

PhenomX

Fanatic

I noticed the resolution wasn't that great the way I did it. Now I know.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Ha, well I'm no expert on anything tech related, as most here can attest too. But did get taught that little trick. Hope it helps.
Good work. I may do the RIA super that I have. Been thinking about a small build or just a sale? Recently stepped in to a hard chrome ACW commander super. I'm conflicted about direction, so I still have both

PhenomX

Fanatic
Ha, well I'm no expert on anything tech related, as most here can attest too. But did get taught that little trick. Hope it helps.
Good work. I may do the RIA super that I have. Been thinking about a small build or just a sale? Recently stepped in to a hard chrome ACW commander super. I'm conflicted about direction, so I still have both
What blows my mind about this RIA is it's like people are afraid of something you've worked on. I was gonna sell it just to put parts together to build a Caspian. You can buy it new for like 435.00 + tax etc. I put a whole LIST of high quality parts in it and it's a fantastic gun that I can't sell for 650.00. I've got close to that in parts and that's not taking any of the time into account. Offered to sell with original box, accys. And all original parts. Had about a million people asking but can't sell it. It's weird. I'm about to take all the good stuff out of it, keep the good parts for the Caspian build. That would include the 139.00 set of sights that would have to stay on it. Nothing I can do about that now. Idprobably get my original purchase$ out of it, and have a close to 400.00 pile of parts left to use. I'm pretty confused by the whole thing.

Last edited:

PhenomX

Fanatic
The ONLY thing about This gun is I did the re-parkerize myself. It's really not bad at all but it's not perfect. Looks about as good as it did new which wasn't that great!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
What blows my mind about this RIA is it's like people are afraid of something you've worked on. I was gonna sell it just to put parts together to build a Caspian. You can buy it new for like 435.00 + tax etc. I put a whole LIST of high quality parts in it and it's a fantastic gun that I can't sell for 650.00. I've got close to that in parts and that's not taking any of the time into account. Offered to sell with original box, accys. And all original parts. Had about a million people asking but can't sell it. It's weird. I'm about to take all the good stuff out of it, keep the good parts for the Caspian build. That would include the 139.00 set of sights that would have to stay on it. Nothing I can do about that now. Idprobably get my original purchase$ out of it, and have a close to 400.00 pile of parts left to use. I'm pretty confused by the whole thing.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe folks are just trying to hold on to what money they have left after bills, groceries, and gas? I hate to say it, but there are a lot of folks who just ask questions, get your hopes up, and never follow through. Been there, done that too many times, with too many people. Doesn't matter what you are trying to sell everybody wants something for nothing it seems.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
You can never expect to receive any compensation for your time , just like like working on hotrods . As far as changing parts there is no way for anyone to know what kind of capabilities you possess , for all they know you worked the reliability out of it with your tinkering . [ just saying ] .

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe be unfortunate, but I agree with DPM... based on my experience.
You may have superior workmanship skills, but a purchaser has no way of knowing that.. too many firearms have been messed up by amateur "gunsmiths."
I've even had poor workmanship done on a 1911 by an established gunshop in the past.
As far as all the $ spent on high quality parts...you may as well remove them & save 'em for other 1911's you own..(or will own in the future)
It's pretty rare for someone that even knows the quality of the parts that you used, ..and almost no one is willing to pay that added cost
to the price of a used firearm.

Any mods done to a firearm may detract from it's value over a stock, oem model..to many purchasers.
This is why any expensive mods done to an inexpensive gun should be only be made by someone planning to keep that gun,
as you'll (almost ) never get the $ spent on a pistol back out of it in a sale...

I have "invested" as much $ in a modded RIA 9mm Govt model I bought new, ( then modified) as I spent on used, (but like new)
Springfield Loaded Target 9mm several years later.
The Springfield is all SS (which I prefer) but I couldn't find one anywhere for sale, when I bought the RIA.
I know I'll never get the $ out of the RIA that I put in it..lesson learned.
RIA 9mm 5 L.JPGSpringfield Armory Loaded Target 9mm L.JPG

since the Springfield is a "keeper", I had the front strap checkered & the top of the slide milled flat....it's one of my "Not for sale" guns

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
You may have superior workmanship skills, but a purchaser has no way of knowing that.. too many firearms have been messed up by amateur "gunsmiths."
I've even had poor workmanship done on a 1911 by an established gunshop in the past.
As far as all the $ spent on high quality parts...you may as well remove them & save 'em for other 1911's you own..(or will own in the future)
It's pretty rare for someone that even knows the quality of the parts that you used, ..and almost no one is willing to pay that added cost

Any mods done to a firearm may detract from it's value over a stock, oem model..to many purchasers.
This is why any expensive mods done to an inexpensive gun should be only be made by someone planning to keep that gun,
as you'll (almost ) never get the $ spent on a pistol back out of it in a sale...

I have "invested" as much $ in a modded RIA 9mm Govt model I bought new, ( then modified) as I spent on used, (but like new)
The Springfield is all SS (which I prefer) but I couldn't find one anywhere for sale, when I bought the RIA.
View attachment 26863View attachment 26864

since the Springfield is a "keeper", I had the front strap checkered & the top of the slide milled flat....it's one of my "Not for sale" guns
You know, when I first started with 1911's I'd read pretty much every article about them, and of course I spent a GOATLOAD of money on having them modified. Lost my ass when I sold them too. I still have my some of my guns slightly modified, but mostly just leave them as the came to me. This does not apply to HiPowers tho (haha) I still love the pre mk111 ones, and most of the time they end up with 1911 retro rear sights dovetailed front sights, and extended thumb safeties. I may or may not remove the stupid mag disconnect depending on how I feel. That's money well spent and those will go no where as long as I still breathe.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

View attachment 26863View attachment 26864

By the way, those are some beautiful 1911's Joe. I'm envious.