Petition to End TSA

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
I think we should just privatize the TSA. Let each airline choose their own security measures. Then people can compare which one they want to put up with and fly on that airline.

Oh, and I don't think the TSA are all that great. Here's Adam Savage (Mythbusters) talking about his experience. Warning: some language.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yaqq9Jjb4[/youtube]

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I got to recently fly for my job several times in the past few months. Since I have not flown since 9/11 I was a bit worried. I had a carry on backpack and I checked my larger suitcase. My average experience was:

Charleston International - Sunday 7:00am - Had to take my shoes and belt off. Empty everything into trays. Removed my laptop to be scanned separately. No issues and was done in about 15 minutes from the time I got to the airport. I was surprised as my carry on backpack contained tools (Screwdrivers, jewelers tools, cables, external electronics (hard drive flash drive) and other metals. Now I was bored because I had allowed for 2 hours from the horror stories I had heard. TSA agents were very polite.

Nashville International - Initial surprise as I did not know Nashville had an International airport. - Friday 5:00pm - Much longer time needed for security (90 minutes) as line was HUGE. Nashville was much more thorough than Charleston was on Sunday. Had too many "Liquids" in my carry on bag. I'd bought two soda's for the flight and wait. These were confiscated. No other problem and I went into the airport where I bought two sodas for the flight and wait.

No big deal for me. Other then a longer wait in Nashville, it all went smooth. I DID learn some interesting things though.

1) When checking in my bag in Nashville, I found that they DO scan some of them. I saw an older guy refusing to allow the airline (Not TSA) to open his bag. They told him they saw something suspicious in the bag. He said "He was American and wasn't gonna take this crap anymore". During the argument, airport security showed up with a dog and they took charge. They told him they WILL have the dog sniff his bags, if the dog signaled, they WILL open the bag. The dog didn't signal and the guy was told that since the dog did not signal, they would not open his bags . . . but they would not allow the bag on the plane either unless he allowed them to search it. He finally complied and the suspect product turned out to be a bag of pipe tobacco. They thanked the man profusely, and allowed him to go on. It was funny to watch everyone in line backup when they said "Suspicious material in the bag".

2) After my drinks were confiscated at Nashville, I bought two more drinks from at a store in the airport "Mall". In chatting up the young lady, I said, "It must suck having to go through security everyday." She said she didn't, she comes in the back door. What about all the sodas on the shelf? Nope, no security check on those either other than maybe a truck x-ray and sniff. So why take them from me at Security?

Not wanting to further draw attention to myself, I paid and left. But still, I pondered about it. Apparently the security check is simply to catch the idiot terrorists who carry bombs or guns in their pockets. The 9/11 hijackers didn't carry the box cutters onto the plane, an employee placed them under their seats prior to them boarding, and it seems that the procedure for employees at the airport has not changed. At least from a travelers point of view. At least I can defend myself with my phillips screwdriver in my carry on back (and don't think I don't know it).

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
Opt out. Every person who refuses to stand in the "surrender stance" in the scanner increases their workload, slows the process, increases the manning requirement, and creates a public scene of some sort.

Ask them questions -- be polite but assertive ("What's your name?" "How long have you been doing these patdowns?" "Do your enjoy your job?" "What does your family think about your work?"). Most TSA screeners hate being asked questions. Since they're getting physically into your personal space, get verbally into theirs.

Chat with other passengers in the line. Be polite. I've found a "wistful" attitude is best. "Remember when we could fly without having our kids and wives touched all over? Man, those were the days."

I seriously doubt the gov will ever get rid of TSA. Republicans created it, remember -- don't buy all the hype today...

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
part of the hype is that there is a difference between republican and democrat, lawmakers and representatives and scoundrels.
how do we change it when we have no choice in who is selected by a national convention?

Latest posts