Petition to End TSA

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Bruce Schneier, an internationally known security expert, has written extensively on the enormous fraud that is the TSA. He makes a very convincing argument that the TSA is ridiculous and absolutely unnecessary from a security standpoint. He has engaged in multiple debates with the head of the TSA, and appeared before the US Congress stating the same thing.

I believe "security theater" was mentioned in an earlier post. I think he coined this phrase.

My background is a uniformed flight crew member with a large US-based international airline. I worked before, during and after 9/11 and could tell you some amazing stories. Believe me, the TSA does nothing to enhance security. They just represent one more step towards the likely inevitable police state the US appears hell bent on becoming.

Here's his blog. He writes about the TSA frequently:

http://www.schneier.com/

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
My personal opinion about the TSA...

If you do not like being screened to fly then drive.

If you fly... then know the rules BEFORE you get to the airport.

If you still want to fly but dont like to get screened then take flying lessons and buy your own plane.

I have hundreds of domestic and international flights before and after 9/11, never once have I had an issue with the TSA agents or the process. Some people will whine and cry no matter what, give them a $100 bill and they will complain because they "expected" more!

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Regulis7 said:

Do electric cars work under water if I want to go overseas or something? What if the TSA starts patrolling state borders? Should I just stop driving and settle for skype?

It's not knowing the rules that are a problem; it's being forced to bend over to obey said "rules" when they are nothing more than a facade designed to control and humiliate the populace. I refuse to capitulate simply because a jackbooted authoritarian thug wearing a badge and blue gloves tells me I have to.

If you still want to fly but dont like to get screened then take flying lessons and buy your own plane.

Yes, because everyone can realistically do that. :roll:

I have hundreds of domestic and international flights before and after 9/11, never once have I had an issue with the TSA agents or the process. Some people will whine and cry no matter what, give them a $100 bill and they will complain because they "expected" more!

Were you traveling as an airline employee or as a passenger?

You're not wrong; some people will whine and cry at everything, but sometimes even whiners whine at the right time. And you can bet your donkey if I ever have to go through the TSA process, I'll be giving them a number 1 salute with both hands the whole time.

Treedodger

Well-Known Fanatic
Based on the recent history of complete and total neglectful inaction by our Congress, just exactly how bad would the TSA have to be for Congress to step in and make these type of pointed statements? Off the scale horrendous would be my response...and they push the Constituional abuse further each day, so where does it end?

If you wish to live in a police state, there are plenty of countries that can oblige your wish and I will buy the ticket, one way of course...

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
Lord help the person that ever pisses C_Carson off, talk about stepping into a s++tstorm! :shock:

Sugar, I haven't even put my sh!tstorm pants on yet :twisted:

Bdbys59

Well-Known Fanatic
OH BOY, well lets see. I worked at the Chas airport for 14 years. I have seen both sides to this story. I was there when they were contract screeners and when TSA first got there.
The old contract screeners were good, they di dnot have the government telling them who they could and could not screen. With our "feel good, don's want to hurt somebodies feelings" government, the TSA were told who they can and cannot search. They way they "pick" a passenger to search is by a computer program our government fostered onto the airlines. it picks "at random" those passengers that are to be screened. Now if you set off the magnometer (metal detector) then I have no sympathy with them doing further screening. As for those "pat downs" They HAVE to clear that person when the magnometer and the hand held wand indicate a presecne of metal, and no just because it is a baby does not make it immune, just watch some video and you will see they are not above using infants. bottom line, don't want your kid searched, make sure he/she does not have any metal secreted on his/her body.
I know there have been horror stories about over zealious TSA agents and I agree, get them the he^& out of there. Just as there are bad apples in law enforcement that give all other cops a bad name so too do these pervs. What is th eanswer, get rid of the terrorists and we won't need TSA. :p

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Regulis7 said:

And some people will forgo freedom for the pretend security of a group of boobs. Welcome to the party.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not so much surprised as incredulous. Despite ALL we know of the TSA, this agency will NEVER be disbanded. It's far too powerful of a tool for controlling the masses.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
"?She didn?t steal it. She just confiscated it because you violated the rules.?

Uhhhh huhhhhh. I bet that would work so well if a citizen said that a cop/judge. And "dropped on the ground"? Really? :roll:

Ken

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm new to the board and new to this thread but I have read the whole thing and I have some comments.

I'm not convinced that those who are taking issue with the whole TSA "thing" are advocating relaxed, lax or no airport security. I just seems that in the true fashion of most government entities, they do what they do in a ham-handed, inefficient and ineffectual way.

One thing in particular is the fact (as far as I know) that because of government's wish to be 100% non discriminatory and free from the oppression of any single group (often by oppressing ALL groups) certain tried and tested techniques for enhancing airport security have been dismissed as unworkable. I make reference to profiling. In this culture profiling is a dirty word but in certain cases it works. I don't mean that each and every individual who fit the profile should get full body cavity searches, I'm just talking about an intelligent approach to security doing what has been proven to work, not just what will placate the powers that be.

Arguably the most security sensitive places in the world such as Tel Aviv could provide effective lessons and strategies as to how this threat can be met. But the highest ranked security official in this country dismissed many of these ideas as unworkable.

Given a choice, where would you think most terrorists would rather try and breach security, Ben Gurion Airport, Sde Dov Airport or <Insert any US airport here> Airport in the US?

Latest posts