Petition to End TSA

mflugel

Fanatic
As a person that flies over 200 flight per year, I appreciate the job they do in screening out potential weapons and threats that may make it on a flight. The sensationalism from the media as they highlight the few bad TSA apples in the system is no different than the sensationalism the media practices when they highlight gun violence. Groping by TSA agents occurs less than 0.000000001% of the time but makes headline news. Are there overzealous TSA agents , yes. Should thier procedures be updated, yes. Should they be eliminated, NO.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I will not let my 4 year old be touched by a TSA agent. They will not touch her private areas which is part of the pat down (Groping? you decide). I use to fly quite a bit. But, not anymore. TSA is also pushing to get security lines in for busing, rail and anywhere else the can dig into.

I firmly believe TSA is in violation of illegal search and seizure.

Treedodger

Well-Known Fanatic
mflugel said:
As a person that flies over 200 flight per year, I appreciate the job they do in screening out potential weapons and threats that may make it on a flight. The sensationalism from the media as they highlight the few bad TSA apples in the system is no different than the sensationalism the media practices when they highlight gun violence. Groping by TSA agents occurs less than 0.000000001% of the time but makes headline news. Are there overzealous TSA agents , yes. Should thier procedures be updated, yes. Should they be eliminated, NO.

Please don't misunderstand that I think we need lax security at airports, but this is much, much bigger than just about airports. We could easily privatize airport security instead of creating another monster beaurocratic bohemeth run by the Federal government that has already started expanding onto highways, subways, and buses. Can you say where they will draw the line? Neither can they...

TS12000

Active Fanatic
Yeah I haven't exactly been sold either. I have seen giant tubs of confiscated property being auctioned off and a couple idiots sneak through. How many terrorist plots have they averted? 0?

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
mflugel said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. The TSA are clowns in a theatre production of fake security. I think you miss the point. Regardless of how often the a TSA "agent" gropes a little kid, or makes an elderly lady empty her colostomy bag, those things do not make anyone safer. They are a rouse designed to deceive those that require a warm blankey and a bottle before bed that the big giant government is protecting them. Authoritarians will put up with anything for fake security. Sigh.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
While I can understand the anger over TSA pat downs, especially with children, we need to remember why we got to this point.

Terrorists grabbed FOUR aircraft in a singe day, flying them into the Trade Centers buildings, the Pentagon, and a field because we had low key airport security protecting those aircraft. Our enemies will exploit any vulnerability. If that means a bomb in a child's plush toy, or C4 in their huggies, THEY WILL DO IT.

Before we eliminate our airport security for the sake of comfort and convenience, lets figure out how we will continue to protect our assets from future hijacking. Else we need to accept that this WILL happen again and that if it does, it is not the governments fault for eliminating that watch post known as TSA. Even if TSA is not very effective, it is better than what we had and its all we currently got. To make it better, we'd have to ramp security up, not down. Then we'd have cavity searches, not just crotch groping.

If you do not like your children being groped for security, don't fly. Rent a car. Leave a day early and go see this great country of ours on your way to visit grandma. Trains are nice too. Otherwise, I suggest you buy a ticket on "Take your chances airways", a new airline I made up that has no intrusive security measures and may actually be cheaper to fly. Sit next to that angry Armenian looking guy, who did not go through a security check before boarding, and think about how safe you feel now while checking his waist band for fuses.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, we can agree to disagree, can't we?

Not having the TSA is fine, just don't go suing the government if another plane goes down with a loved one on board saying, " you didn't do enough to protect me from the bad men". Doesn't sound like you would, but there are a lot of folks out there who will.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Of course they haven't. More than a dozen large US Airports have opted out of abusing passengers with them and I haven't been able to find the mass of terrorist attacks that have taken place at those airports. I wonder what happens to all the explosives hidden in toddlers dirty diapers and nuns undergarments at those airports???

It seems that not only are passengers fed up with the fake security gestapo, but airports have just about had enough as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/us/ai ... m-tsa.html

A new law makes it easier for airports to replace federal screeners with private contractors, and several airports, after years of passenger complaints, are lining up to make the change.

The law was welcome news to Larry Dale, president and chief executive of Orlando Sanford International Airport, who said his airport?s request to opt out of using Transportation Security Administration officers last year was denied by the federal government.

Mr. Dale said his desire to use private screeners in place of T.S.A. personnel was motivated by hundreds of complaints from passengers, and added that he had his own problems with the agency?s screeners.

?We?ve visited a number of airports who have opted out of the T.S.A. screenings, and no one wants to go back,? Mr. Dale said. ?We think this will be more efficient and customer-friendly for us.?

Hmmmm. So much for the argument that the TSA is "the only option."

Treedodger

Well-Known Fanatic
Well put. Those that think the TSA has all the bases covered and are protecting them from terrorism are misguided. I work at a location with extremely high security. You walk through a metal detector then a machine that blows puffs of air on you to detect explosives, and finally a personal ID device. It's very simple, quick, non-invasive, and fail proof. If it is good enough for one of the most highly sensitive areas in our country then why would it not be employed by the TSA?

Rather than selecting the best system to protect against all the possible threats, it would seem they have selected only the most invasive and personally intrusive option. I personally believe they are more focused on a larger purpose, but most are not willing to consider this possibility. The bottom line though, regardless of your personal beliefs regarding TSA, we are no safer to travel today despite the hundreds of millions spent by this Federal agency.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, I guess I was interpreting the "Get rid of the TSA" with a "Get rid of airport screening" idea.

While I fully support that if someone else can do a better job, I am not a fan of open airports with no baggage screening. I also support the idea that everyone can carry on board. If you do not have a handgun with you, one will be provided for your protection.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
There was airport screening before the ball strokers/nun fondlers/kiddy grabbers were created as just another overbloated, inefficient government boondoggle. Private contractors will do a better job (as they always do) than the fed gov.

In addition, the entire process is foolish. If you wanted to gather the largest number of potential victims in a confined space, you would have them line up and go back and forth between some ropes waiting for their turn to be abused... Oh wait... kinda like the line to clear "security". Some day, the plane itself will be irrelevant as some evil terrorist :shock: will do his thing in the security line. :eek:

Then how much ball grabbing in the name of fake security will people put up with?

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Upon entering the festival, Corbett then spotted and snapped pictures of uniformed border patrol agents.

When he asked what they were doing there they replied ?We?re within 50 miles of the border, and can patrol anywhere we want to. We can enforce both state and federal laws.?

Another group and policy that needs to go. Having a 50 mile wide "constitution free zone" around the entire border of the country is unacceptable.

Latest posts