Nylon "Instructor" belts

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I have decided to go full-on gun nerd and get a reinforced nylon belt (i.e Instructors belt). My Looper leather belts are OK but the kydex keeps breaking after a year and I am tired of replacing them.

Does anyone in OKC carry the Wilderness belts. I will need to try them on with my gun for correct sizing so I don't want to order online.

...or are there other brands out there that are better? i.e. 5.11, Propper, Blackhawk?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the same issue with the Loopers. IDK that they can do much about it, it's just the nature of the material, it doesn't put up with being bent like is required to buckle it up repeatedly. I'm curious because I need one too.

ETA: I have a 5.11 cheapo, cut down, lightweight version of the instructor belt and it's held up very well, but it's not intended to be a full on "wilderness" belt.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Maybe if they made a model that had the kydex up to the holes, then went just double layer leather to the end it may last longer.

Copyright 2016...

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am going to go by C.O.P.S. at lunch and look at the 5.11 version of the instructors belt but I am not expecting much

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear the easy fit instructor belt every day and love it. The easy fit was right on as far as sizing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdu is just plain webbing.
The wilderness kydex one is good, the uncle mikes one is pretty good too. Galco one is a bit weak but ok

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Supposedly, the 5.11 Operator is close to the Wilderness. We will find out shortly
I personally wouldn't buy 5.11 if I could avoid it. I haven't been impressed with the quality of their products which seem to be hit or miss.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Wilderness is awesome. Use their sizing on the website, pretty sure it says order two pant sizes larger, but don't hold me to that. I used mine for various competitions around 20 times before getting an inner/outer, and now use it for EDC. Still in excellent shape, almost like-new. Had it 3 years.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been wearing a wilderness instructor for several years. I will never go back to a regular belt. It's always the right size, never between holes. I went with the 5 stitch for extra stiffness.

I wear a 31 or 32 in jeans. A 37 belt barely works on the large side. I tighten it down where the velcro is touching the buckle. The tab end sits far enough behind my front pocket that I don't scrape the tail, but short enough that it doesn't have to go through the next belt loop. I got it when I wore a 34 - 35 Jean and it worked perfectly.

Bought a 34 belt and it's too short for my liking. Not much velcro engagement.

If a 34 belt would work for u I'll make you a deal. I waited too long to return it. It's never been worn outside the house. Tan color.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Well, even though Josh said not to, I bought a 5.11. Mainly because it was in stock and I didn't want to wait only to find out I bought the wrong size.

It is called the "Trainer" It seems to be a knock-off of the Wilderness belt. 5 stitch reinforced. We will find out how it holds up. $40

264e4d9eda3898888e46b7097f4c95d8.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk 5.3

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Well, even though Josh said not to, I bought a 5.11.
Bad choice in belts, but great judgement in people! I'll have you know that I'm a C class Limited Shooter... Does that not carry any credibility?

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear the 511 trainer and it has held up well. Have worn it just about every day with a g19 in a Bravo Concealment kydex holster for a couple of years. Over a period of time it softens up but still supports well. Mine's about due for a new one though. For the money it's hard to beat.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
CD POWELL said:
I wear the 511 trainer and it has held up well. Have worn it just about every day with a g19 in a Bravo Concealment kydex holster for a couple of years. Over a period of time it softens up but still supports well. Mine's about due for a new one though. For the money it's hard to beat.

2 years would be a year longer than a Looper

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk 5.3

Latest posts