New Vortex 1-6X

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed. There needs to be a preorder after the announcement. I have a feeling they are going to be flooded. I for one will most likely be purchasing one at that price point.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Hey, this is my Mom! And I see she has squandered the money I sent her to pay the orthodontist.

Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
b33311ba7427b4890cf74d4a356d5bc2.jpg

This is huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyetat

Fanatic
Hello this is Bob and I have never shot three gun but as soon as I can I will . Sink or swim, I am not new to shooting or guns what is wrong with a long eye relief pistol scope. Three gun or Coyote hunting .In both cases things are moving real fast!.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
eyetat said:
Hello this is Bob and I have never shot three gun but as soon as I can I will . Sink or swim, I am not new to shooting or guns what is wrong with a long eye relief pistol scope. Three gun or Coyote hunting .In both cases things are moving real fast!.
Which scope?

dennishoddy

eyetat said:
I think your talking about a scope like the Nikon Coyote? Long eye relief and circles instead of crosshairs?

I love mine.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
eyetat said:
I shot my first couple of matches with a leupold fixed 2.5 scout scope, only problem I had was some real close full size uspsa targets clumped together that you shot through a small port, targets were optional for pistol or rifle. First shot was easy but after that all I saw was brown in the scope, so I wound up shooting more rounds than I had planned to make sure I got hits. There was a little bit of flex in free float handguard.
1x is nice for point blank hoser stages. 1-4 or 1-6 is nice when they they throw in a long range stage especially when the target blends in with the background. Hope that helps.
But if that is all you have for a scope, mount it, shoot a match and check out the other scopes. That's what I did

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
R.Pullicar.jr said:
Does it really matter if its second focal plane for 3gun? It's my understanding that first focal plane really only matters when ranging targets and in every 3 gun match I have shot targets where at known distance. I think it will still be a good budget optic.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/first_vs_second_focal_plane for those that may not know
2nd focal plane optics with BDC reticles are not as good as a 1st focal plane optic with a BCD reticle in my opinion. With a 1st focal plane BDC, the holds are good at 1x, 2x, 3.5x, etc. With a 2nd focal plane optic, the holds are only good at 1x and max x (6x in this case). Put a 2FP optic on 3x and try to shoot a target at say 200, and the holds on the reticle will not be the same as it is at 6x.

It's fine if you only use 1x and 6x, but I generally don't. Sometimes it's better for me to use 2.5x or 3x, so I can go from the closer 50 yard targets, to the longer 200 yard targets without having to change magnification. The club I go to likes to put targets at varying ranges. For example left to right they'll do, 50, 75, 200, 150, 50, 200, etc. Instead of switching back and forth, I can use a setting in the middle and be good with it.

I hear a lot of people say that 2FP optics are the bees knees, but I disagree. I even had a couple of pro's tell me to stay away from 1FP when I 1st started out. I listened to them and didn't like the scope they recommended. Switched to a Bushnell 1-4 PCL 1FP optic and love it. I won't buy a 2FP optic for 3gun again. I'm currently saving up for a Trijicon VCOG which is 1FP.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree FFP is great, but you are comparing a $2400 scope to a $300. This scope is built to compete with the lower end 1-4 and 1-6 scopes. In that instance, I think it hits the nail on the head

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Matt Washburn said:
I agree FFP is great, but you are comparing a $2400 scope to a $300. This scope is built to compete with the lower end 1-4 and 1-6 scopes. In that instance, I think it hits the nail on the head
The Bushnell scope I have is $200. I would not compare the Trijicon to the $400 Voirtex, I'd compare it to the Swarovski or the Vortex Razor. I'll take my Bushnell over this Vortex due to it being 2FP. But that's a personal preference thing. Jesse was one of the Pro's that told me originally to stay away from 1FP. I now disagree with him. At intermediate range I like the fact that I can still use 3x and have my holds be good. Sometimes 6x would be to much, while 1x wouldn't be enough.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Tuflehundon said:
The Bushnell scope I have is $200. I would not compare the Trijicon to the $400 Voirtex, I'd compare it to the Swarovski or the Vortex Razor. I'll take my Bushnell over this Vortex due to it being 2FP. But that's a personal preference thing. Jesse was one of the Pro's that told me originally to stay away from 1FP. I now disagree with him. At intermediate range I like the fact that I can still use 3x and have my holds be good. Sometimes 6x would be to much, while 1x wouldn't be enough.
Id like to learn more about your reticle/magnification use. Tell me your BDC yardage equivalents, target size, and approximate distance please.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I am not the badass 3 gunner like Jesse but inside 300 yds just decide on a zero learn your drops and use the main reticle hold accordingly.
In three gun 2nd focal plane is okay to me because I like to look at the same sight picture. I sight my rifle 1.5-1.75 high at 100yds so at 200 yds it should be good to go. I just confirm were it hits at 50, 200 & 300.
The only time I have used my bdc reticle is at 400yds for a run n gun match and that target was 20x 18 inches huge.
My thoughts are 1-6 at a affordable price point, awesome. I have a 1-4 vortex viper on my dusty 3 gun rifle. I always wished I had just a little more magnification on those hard to see targets.

There is no way I would use anything but first focal plane in long range shooting but then that scope is 5-25 x 56 so there is plenty of magnification to see all the hashes

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
FFP vs SFP is a preference thing. I know most don't like FFP, but I do. 99% of people will prefer SFP, which is why most companies put those scopes out. A quality $400 1-6 will be great. What really interests me with this coming out, is what is everyone else going to do to answer to this release. Others are going to have to step up there game too.

I only like FFP with BDC reticles were the entire reticle is lit up. For scopes with reticles like the Vortex Razor were just a center dot lights up, I like SFP for them.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
SFP is what you want for 3 gun. If I'm shooting 300+ yds I'm on 6, or the targets are so big it doesn't matter. At 100-200 yds sure, I might use 2-4x, but I don't want or need to use the BDC at those ranges, I'm still using the dot in the middle of the scope. If it's a preference, fine, but FFP is not even remotely necessary for 3 gun and I personally find the shrinky reticle on 1x to be distracting and slower when I'm hosing.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
And I find the shrinking reticle to be faster on hoser targets. Agian it's preference. No need for everyone to freak out because someone likes something different than them. It's about like the discission of 2 stage or single stage triggers. Both are are great triggers, but I like 1, and you may like the other. Is one of us wrong, no. It's what we like.

Latest posts