Need to decide. PLEASE help me make the RIGHT decision!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Gentlemen,
I'm TRYING to decide on three 1911's, which one to buy. ALL are, all Stainless steel, all are in the same ballpark price wise. I'm slightly leaning towards the Kimber's because of the "Match grade triggers and match-grade bull barrels", but unsure if Springfield has "match-grade triggers and barrels". Do they? That isn't specified on the Springfield. The Kimber barrels look a lot thicker (bull barrels) No idea?? So, we are talking $900.00 +- for any of the three. What would you buy?? Also, it may not have match-grade triggers and barrels, but is the Springfield as accurate? Is Springfield's warranty better than one year on the Kimber's??? How's Springfield's CS??? Kimber has been VERY nice CS! But VERY SHORT warranty. What say you, if you were buying only one? The contestants are:
1) Kimber Pro Carry II
2) Kimber Target II
3) Springfield E Series

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know how much of Kimber's "match" terminology is marketing, and how much is real. I'd be surprised if either gun is much different in accuracy.

I went through a similar process when I bought my first 1911. My opinion is that Kimber had a nicer trigger out of the box than the Springfield . But I have been able to make Springfield triggers fantastic by just changing the sear spring to a Cylinder and Slide light trigger sear spring for $7.

Download the manuals on each . As I recall , my 4" Kimber required the recoil spring to be replaced every 650 rounds. That's ridiculous and somewhat challenging to do on a bull barrel gun with the paper clip spring retainer .

My 4" Kimber has so many out of spec dimensions , it was very unreliable until I sent it to JohnnHarrison .

kimber guns are very pretty, but I believe Springfield makes a better 1911 In general . It does not have the schwartz safety , and as far as I know, their main spring housings are metal and not plastic like Kimber. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

I know some smiths that will not consider using Kimbers as a base gun for customization . I know of none that won't use Springfield . I believe that speaks for the inconsistency in Kimber critical dimensions .

YMMV, but my personal experience would direct you to Springfield .

woodlands747

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield has excellent C/S. The one time I needed my experience was exceptional.
Don't be concerned about a difference in accuracy regardless of Kimber touting Match grade barrels and triggers. Both are production guns and will perform pretty much the same.
Not sure what the Springfield E series is. Do you mean Smith and Wesson E series?
By the way the Springfield Ronan is very nice for the money. If you have not seen it try to find one to look at as I think it is better than all the others you mention.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior77

Fanatic
I have never heard of a Springfield "E Series". I know that Smith & Wesson has E Series 1911's..... Springfield Armory has one of the best warranties you can get on a firearm. It's a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I own 3 Springfield 1911's, all are fantastic.

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
Gentlemen,
I'm TRYING to decide on three 1911's, which one to buy. ALL are, all Stainless steel, all are in the same ballpark price wise. I'm slightly leaning towards the Kimber's because of the "Match grade triggers and match-grade bull barrels", but unsure if Springfield has "match-grade triggers and barrels". Do they? That isn't specified on the Springfield. The Kimber barrels look a lot thicker (bull barrels) No idea?? So, we are talking $900.00 +- for any of the three. What would you buy?? Also, it may not have match-grade triggers and barrels, but is the Springfield as accurate? Is Springfield's warranty better than one year on the Kimber's??? How's Springfield's CS??? Kimber has been VERY nice CS! But VERY SHORT warranty. What say you, if you were buying only one? The contestants are:
1) Kimber Pro Carry II
2) Kimber Target II
3) Springfield E Series
have a Kimber Raptor. Great gun in every aspect of shooting and Carry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
Springfield makes a great gun and the one time I used it the CS was excellent.

And I will admit to some confusion.

If you meant Smith E series 1911 they are excellent as well. I would take the Springfield and E series Smith over the Kimber's due to the fact neither of them have the schwartz safety. If for some reason you want/need a FPS look at the Colt. The FPS they use has proven to be the most reliable. Other manufacturers use that version as well.

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Based on my experience with two or more of each, I'd go with Springfield. Overall, a bit better than the Kimber (except one, an early pre-II, Custom Target model) in fit, finish and a good "solid feel". Like was mentioned, Kimber can make a pretty 1911 (revolvers too!), but other than that Custom Target, they have all needed some help...minor, but still.
Now, they all shoot really well. But the Springfield guns have all been solid performers from the get go.

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with all above. I have two Springfields; RO Champion 4.25 inch and 5 inch. Both guns are great. Accurate, great feel, and work like champs. I carry the RO Champion as well as my Raptor. There is a substantial price difference in the Springfields and Kimber. So if price is a factor; you don't lose anything by getting the Springfield except possibly the trigger feel.

chwats

Fanatic
Decisions, decisions haha! I have a Kimber Raptor that out of the box has been pretty awesome with 0 issues. That being said, I have several Springfields in different configurations and can whole heartedly recommend them! As Woodlands747 mentioned above the Ronin is a nice gun, I'd say outstanding gun for the price and has become my favorite 1911 in my stable.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
i have the Kimber Pro Carry 11 and really like it. If you are looking for a good 1911 carry 45, I would go with the Pro Carry 11.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If I had only a limited amount of money to spend, the consensus seems to be a Dan Wesson.

Jennifers

Fanatic
Once bitten, rwice shy. The Kimber I bought was basically trash. Yes, this was some years ago so it is possible they have improved somewhat, but I would have to see it to believe it and haven't bothered. So what was wrong? Well it looked GREAT in the box, until you really looked at it and saw all the casting flaws, the gouge in the side if the hammer, etc. The trigger pull was off the charts and Kimber said 3 month turn around, if I was lucky, and if they didn't screw it up worse. Yeah, like either of those would work out with my luck and their service. When I gave it a trigger job and it felt like it was half the weight (I now could pull the trigger with one hand anyway) it was a measured 36 lb 6 oz pull. The extractor was not cut for the extractor hook, the magazine was typical of Kimber mags, it wouldn't work in any 1911 I had. It was FULL of burrs, about an oz full of burrs and rough areas. Stone? More like a mill bastard! Rusted in a NY minute, had to keep it in an oil bath to keep the rust down to a tolerable level, not kidding about that, it would rust as you watched. Cheap/junk grips, well it goes on. Like I said, Kimber may have improved the QC and CS in the last 25 years, but I never bothered to find out.

On the other hand, Springfield is a couple hours down the road, so I can drive over if I want/need to face time with them. Have shot several new SA 1911s and they were fine, worked out of the box (a biggie for me), and did everything I expected them to do. If I'm laying out $900-$1000 for a gun I expect it to work! Not this 200 rds to wear the burrs down and hope it works OK.

Also bought a SAM (Philippine) 1911 from Century (now SAM has their own importer for the guns) also several years ago. GREAT GUN! Best trigger pull of ANY 1911 I've shot! Slip that everyone had to sign off on, worked out of the box! GREAT gun!

I was sorting some magazines here and one is the GUN TESTS May 2012 issue with the Taurus PT1911 in it, which got a B grade, because the trigger was creepy. The stainless PT1911 I have has an excellent trigger (not as good as the SAM, but miles ahead of most 1911s I've tried) and I just love it.

I'd look at the SA guns if I were you, or CAREFULLY go over any Kimber you might want. The nationally know pistol smith at my club despises Kimber for MIM parts and poor machining, poor-fitting, and just poor everything. He will work on them, but recommends just about anything else if buying. The Norinco 1911s are excellent guns but have no resale value. Most gun rental places love RIA 1911s as they work and last forever.

Paul_1SG

Fanatic
Kimber converted me to 1911s. I was a die hard Glock man. I learned to compete with my G19. I point, squeeze, and it hits every time. However, 1911s are sexy pistols, especially Kimber 1911s. My first was the Kimber SIS Pro 45acp with bull barrel. I got it when they first came out on the market. I had an issue at first. Kimber took care of it. It is an extremely accurate pistol. I tried to find another SIS in Custom length but the prices were outrageous. My 2nd was the Tactical Custom HD in 45acp. This one in very fun to shoot. Most folks like it more than the SIS. I tried to find a used Super Carry Pro in good condition. The prices were comparable to new. My 2 other 1911s are STI Trojan 5" and a DVC Carry. Both are in 9mm.
When I researched 1911 brands I found a lot of complaints with Kimber customer service. I have never experienced any problems with Kimber customer service. Both Kimber and STI have been top notch and resolved my issues. I had the SIS and DVC sent back for warranty work. Both run flawlessly.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield.

Given the stated candidates the choices are roughly similar.

I do get tired of all the Kimber BS about their custom shop (that stop on the line). If it were between Kimbers marketing hype and Springfields history, I would probably go Springfield.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield has excellent C/S. The one time I needed my experience was exceptional.
Don't be concerned about a difference in accuracy regardless of Kimber touting Match grade barrels and triggers. Both are production guns and will perform pretty much the same.
Not sure what the Springfield E series is. Do you mean Smith and Wesson E series?
By the way the Springfield Ronan is very nice for the money. If you have not seen it try to find one to look at as I think it is better than all the others you mention.
I REALLY like the Ronin, but cannot find it for sale anywhere. It would not be for carry, too heavy for me. And not enough rounds. It would just be for target use and home defense. I keep my Glock in the car, Sig 365 in my pocket. Just want a GOOD 1911, under $900.00. Ideally, a 4", all SS, or SS slide, and aluminum frame, and not a deal killer, but would prefer an ambidextrous safety, as I'm left handed. NOT the best time to buy ANY gun!!! But I THOUGHT high priced (to me) 1911's wouldn't be popular COVID guns, due to price. I was WRONG! Only thing in good supply now is: expensive over/under shotguns, and bolt action hunting rifles. : ((((
At my favorite gun store, a customer sold on consignment: 250 rounds of "White box" 230 grain FMJ 45 acp. for $250.00!! And some fool bought it! A dollar a round! For White box 45 acp. WOW! Glad I stocked up on ammo last year!!! WOW!!! I've got at least six or eight boxes of Hornady Critical Duty, 50 rounds a box. How much is that worth?? Could I trade it all for a car?? I'll trade it for a late model SUZUKI GSXR 600. Just PM me : ))

I LOVE this Sig .45 acp.!!!! Cannot find it either, or know 234201F1-995B-46D3-A8D4-A608EC758A3E.jpeghow much it costs. As seen here:

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
THAT, is a STUNNING gun!!!! Anyone have one? How much are they?? Probably not in my price range : ((((

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
How much is this model? And who makes it? I've never heard of TRIPP.

Latest posts