Most reliable 1911 9mm under $800?

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all, I'm fairly new to 1911's and I'm looking for some opinions on what brand has the best track record of reliability in 9mm? I've read a lot of hit and miss reports on 9mm 1911's.

My current 1911 stable consists of:

Sig 5" Nightmare Fastback in 357 sig - absolutely LOVE this one!!

Remington 5" standard in 45 acp. I took this on trade. Wasn't impressed at first, but have grown to appreciate it more.

ATI 4.25" in 9mm that I took on trade. Once I put a new Wilson Combat extractor in it, it shoots flawlessly, but I'm very underwhelmed in the finish and "feel" of it... Want to sell this one.

So, at the range I rented a Springfield RO 9mm and it shot great, and was amazingly accurate - like my Sig! I've read good and bad about the Springfield 9's tho...

I know that nobody can decide but me, but that's not what I'm asking - I'm just asking for people's experiences!

I'm looking for a commander or full size 9mm strictly for a range toy!

Reactions: WWB

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea, the one I shot really felt great!

I know what I'd love to shoot is a Dan Wesson Valkyrie. I've seen them down around $1300 so I'd need to sell my Remington and ATI to go that much... (to justify it in my own head I mean, I've set a "toy" limit for myself lol)
Springfield Range Officer for 9mm would be my choice in your price range.

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
The Dan wesson would definitely be a step above any of them by quite a bit.. Worth the extra $ IMO.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Dan Wesson makes a very fine 1911, you can't go wrong with the SA RO or a Wesson, in my experience.

But, if you want my opinion, in your price range, go for the Springfield.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I had some bad luck with. Springfield 9mm but they covered it under warrenty and I would still recommend them in that price range.

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
I am scouring the internet (on my break of course lol)

Ugh...im REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on the Elite!

Last edited:

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it!
As much as I want to someday have a Dan Wesson, I did the responsible thing and stayed within the budget that I set for myself.

I just picked up a brand new Springfield Range Officer Elite Target. PI9129E-2T.jpeg

Last edited:

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Ugh... My RO Elite came in today but I was out of town. I didn't get home to pick it up :(
My FFL is closed Mondays, now I can't get it till Tuesday.... Grrrrrr

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I purchased both the 4" and 5" Ro form Springfield in 9mm and .45 ACP. This was over time of course. Have nothing but good things to say about any of them. Springfield gives more bang for the buck then anyone else. That's IMO.

esmith1721

Fanatic
I have a Springfield RO and a Desert Eagle 1911C in 9mm. The Desert Eagle has the best trigger of any of my 1911s and so far has been the most accurate for me of the two. Both have been 100% reliable. Fit and finish goes to the Desert Eagle and it has a checkered front strap and front serrations. Both are excellent firearms. Recently I traded 2 old Glocks for a Nice Springfield Loaded Target in Stainless in 9mm. It has a clean 4lb trigger break and today after 500 plus rounds I shoot it a tad better than the RO. The Loaded models in 45 and 9mm work for me just as well as the ROs.

Last edited:

Monadh

Well-Known Fanatic
I know this is an old thread, but Fusion Firearms would be my choice in a 9mm 1911 below $1000. Well made and accurate.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a Citadel that's been 100 % reliable and extremely accurate , well under $800.00 . Also a Kimber Pro Carry . 100 % reliable , accurate , $745.00 new . I do use Wilson mags though .

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol yes, this thread is 5 Dan Wessons, 2 Wilson Combats, and 2 Guncrafter Industries later... I've been busy haha