Miculek Comp adjustment

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Last week I picked up the Miculek comp and installed it by watching his video.

Before installing the comp, I had been using the RRA comp that came on the rifle. As id shoot it I noticed that the recoil would push the rifle up and to the left.

After installing the Miculek comp, in his video he advises you to clock it at 1 o'clock. I basically just installed mine exactly as his is in the video. So basically the ports on the left hand side, as viewed with the rifle shouldered and looking down the sights, are a bit higher.

I tested it out on Saturday and now the rifle pushes up and to the right.

I think I'm missing something because according to Jerry in that video, it should push slightly into my left hand. I'm guessing that if I just install it straight on without canting it, it'll shoot fine.

Has anyone experienced this with that comp? I don't mind if the rifle recoils upwards, it's just the left/right **** that is aggravating and I can muscle the up/down with my left hand.

Any tips are much appreciated. I have a match coming up this Sunday so I want to get this little issue resolved before then. Thanks in advance.

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Turn your clock around. Ports ought to be slightly to the right as you look from the shouldered position.

And every rifle / grip combo will effect recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott C Taylor said:
Turn your clock around. Ports ought to be slightly to the right as you look from the shouldered position.

And every rifle / grip combo will effect recoil.

So basically the right hand ports should be a bit higher than the left hand side?

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
aa1364f145d93dda41e3487176b3ec28.jpg

This is basically what it looks like right now. So I would need to reverse it correct?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
If it works in the middle, run it there. We are dealing with Newtonian physics, equal and opposite and all. Though it is a bit perplexing the recoil is up and right with the install you have shown.

You sure it isn't on upside down? Haha

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott C Taylor said:
If it works in the middle, run it there. We are dealing with Newtonian physics, equal and opposite and all. Though it is a bit perplexing the recoil is up and right with the install you have shown.

I know. I shot a rapid fire string without adding any left hand pressure to the hand guard and that's the way they were bouncing.

After scratching my head, I did single shots holding the rifle as I would normally and felt myself having to pull with my left hand to get back on target. It doesn't make any sense.

I'll time it to be straight up and down and see what that gives me. I didn't bring tools with me on Saturday because I figured trying to adjust the comp after firing rounds through it would just give me a nice burn on my hand lol. I'll bring some nice gloves and the tools with to play around with it if the middle doesn't work either.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
ironman23 said:
I've got several - I run all of mine straight up centered.
Excellent! I'll center it on and test it out on Friday or Saturday.

If it will eliminate the left/right recoil and mitigate some of the up/down, I'd be a happy camper.

My buddy's rifle barely recoils but he's running low mass stuff on his. I don't mind manhandling a gun to control the recoil, but not when it's doing two different things. Up close it doesn't really make a difference, but once you get out past 100 yards, you start having problems. I tested this at 50 yards on a 6" bullseye target and first shot was in the center, second shot hit top right, almost off the target.

I'll follow up once I get out there to test it again. People said that this comp was ridiculously loud, but the RRA that I took off was much louder. But then again, a couple people left shortly after I got there and started shooting lol.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Both the Miculec comp and SJC Titan run straight for me when mounted completely centered. It depends on your shooting stance and how you hold the rifle I guess.

Latest posts