LW, commander? for CCW? Thoughts?

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
Missing from my heard is a LW commander or?
It's going to be carried and shot.

I'm all over the place with thought, part of me says
Ruger LW Cmdr Nightwatchman, then there's a Kimber Pro
No colts, no DW guardians.
I know you can not go wrong with DW (maybe ECP or TCP)but that and entering the semi custom fray requires a bit of trading or selling not feeling that. Currently on the mend from surgery so a G36 is my CCW. Prior to that
My ACW Prime.

I keep going back to the Ruger LW nightwatchman, OTD under 800.00
Same for kimber pro but blah sights.

The ECP or TCP almost 1600.00 both setup right, maybe change the front sight down the road. Beyond these EB then it's sell sell & save for a while

Long story short the nightwatchman keeps calling me . Could it be a waiting diamond in the ruff?
Tool steel internals later? Maybe a EB bobtail or Wilson RB MSH?

Oh I examined the said Ruger side by side with A LW colt the Ruger was nicer and I'm a colt fanboy.

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
For a couple of hundred more than the Night Watchman and Pro I think you'd do well to look at the Colt LW Wiley Clapp Commander. Solid gun, well appointed and ready to carry out of the box. Mine was nicely fit and finished, accurate and reliable and had a good trigger when new. I used it as the base gun for a build but they're ready to go right from the factory. I've seen and handled plenty of Rugers and Kimbers and have yet to find one I'd take over any of my Colts.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry quite often . Also a Super Carry Pro when I'm in the mood . Both are relatively light , and have proven reliable and accurate . Right now it seems as though the used market is really soft . You should be able to get a good deal on what ever you choose . Lots of good choices out there .

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
My shooting buddy Neil has a light weight Ruger 9MM 1911. A great little gun..
I would nor be afraid to purchase one..

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
Well the decision was a tad different from my original post
Ended up with a LW/Alloy frame Govt. A kimber crimson carry, Even had a chance to put some rounds down range, a real sweet shooter no hiccups,

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Like you, I struggled with which LW Commander to choose. In 2012 I opted for the Colt Custom Carry LW Commander chambered in 38 Super. Always was a great gun, and had Dave with Evolution Armory make it mine a couple years back. I'm very pleased and carry her often.

I always wanted a LW Government model, as well. I looked at a couple different models, and finally opted for the Dan Wesson Vigil in 45 ACP. I'm happy to hear you elected a LW Government model. There's something very comforting about a full size 1911 for EDC.

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I don't have any experience with Ruger...but had a Colt Ltwt Commander ($750) that was great. Accurate, light, and relatively well fit. I had Nighthawk Customs bobtail it, and maxhine Browning carry cuts and recoat in black and grey...turned out great! But alas...i traded it away for a Dan wesson CCO.

Dan Wesson makes a fine pistol...tight, accurate. I opted for their CCO with an 8 round mag for an officers frame...conceals a bit better than my Commander did, but still same capacity with only a bit of mag hanging out the bottom...

I'd say Colt (lightweight Cmdr or Wiley Clapp Cmdr) or Dan Wesson...some good deals out there...

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
I have 2 but they are not on your list. I have a .45 Colt Wiley Clapp and a 9 MM DW Valkyrie. I like both of them. What you got aginst Colt and DW?

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry alternate between an STI Hextac 4.0 or a Colt Combat Commander 45ACP.

But a WC Colt would be a nice choice as well. Has everything you need and nothing else,

Attachments

• 20190326_094600.jpg
    20190326_094600.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190326_150817.jpg
    20190326_150817.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
I have 2 but they are not on your list. I have a .45 Colt Wiley Clapp and a 9 MM DW Valkyrie. I like both of them. What you got aginst Colt and DW?
Nothing against DW just wish the local dealers stocked a few more.
Colt, hmm I'm not in the mind to order one sight on seen,
Recently I've seen more lacking anything that resembled quality control said part most local dealers are of the same mindset.
Currently own 2 colts and 2 DWs

Michael Miedzianowski

Active Fanatic
Missing from my heard is a LW commander or?
It's going to be carried and shot.

I'm all over the place with thought, part of me says
Ruger LW Cmdr Nightwatchman, then there's a Kimber Pro
No colts, no DW guardians.
I know you can not go wrong with DW (maybe ECP or TCP)but that and entering the semi custom fray requires a bit of trading or selling not feeling that. Currently on the mend from surgery so a G36 is my CCW. Prior to that
My ACW Prime.

I keep going back to the Ruger LW nightwatchman, OTD under 800.00
Same for kimber pro but blah sights.

The ECP or TCP almost 1600.00 both setup right, maybe change the front sight down the road. Beyond these EB then it's sell sell & save for a while

Long story short the nightwatchman keeps calling me . Could it be a waiting diamond in the ruff?
Tool steel internals later? Maybe a EB bobtail or Wilson RB MSH?

Oh I examined the said Ruger side by side with A LW colt the Ruger was nicer and I'm a colt fanboy.
I carry a Kimber pro CDP2 and it is very nice weight and I carry in a shoulder holster some days and a Galco Fletch on hip other days depends on my attire , I had a Colt LW Commander and this is lighter yet with the 4" barrel .

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_221243.jpg
    IMG_20181205_221243.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5