loose slide to frame fit

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
James @ jrj has been great, timely communication and can fit me in now but, I'm going to try John Larson @http://www.jplprecision.com/
John is local to me up here in the Seattle area and knows Tim Bacus from back in the 90's when he lived here in Washington state....anyway John said he'd like to take a look especially when I told him the frame to slide at the front was out .018-020 plus, I'm going to drop it off tomorrow afternoon to see what he thinks.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a "made in Brazil" model. Slide to frame fit looks to be quite normal for one of these models.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up this Springfield recently and didn't notice from the photos how square/blocky the shape of the front was, for me it's not horrible but it does feel odd and cosmetically it just doesn't look right.

My question is, am I just out of luck here or would it be possible to re shape it to a more standard radius? I'm assuming if this was attempted some of the existing checkering would still be present and if enough of the existing checkering is still in place could I use it as a guide for a checkering file and re checker?

BTW it's 30LPI and possibly hand checkered as it was built by Tim Bacus back in 2002

View attachment 5710

Do you have a copy if the sales listing?

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you have a copy if the sales listing?
Here is the ad, the P.O. Bought it from TRRK trading
I had a chance Friday to swing by jplprecision and have John Larson take a look at it and besides the slop in the frame the rest of the pistol looked good, his comment on barrel fit was "pretty good" and probably shoots decent groups but barrel hood to breech face was just OK with about 40% contact but appeared to have good barrel lug contact and no front to rear movement, slide stop to barrel feet contact was a little high. Ignition parts are quality and fitted very well.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
"Slide to frame fit"

From the video, I call bullscat on the above.
^^^^^^^^My thoughts exactly!!!!!!
Here are the measurements
Rear of slide .755
Front of slide .755 this was taken where the frame rails align with the slide while in battery.
Rear frame .753
Front frame .743
In defense of both previous owners this pistol doesn't feel near as loose as it actual is when fully assembled, I think it's because of how tight the frame was machined out for the ramped barrel (.001-.002 side to side play) and how tight the barrel fits into the slide.
One other thing I noticed is the slide seems to only be making contact with the front frame rail on the left side , I can see where the dust cover is hitting the spring plug tunnel on the left and at the front left frame rail is the only sign of wear/contact, no wear at the front right, rear frame rails look equal on both sides.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Accuracy and reliability in a 1911 rely on a lot of small things working in unison . All are important . Slide to frame , barrel to bushing , barrel to slide , etc.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Just an update..........
I was able to get the slide to frame fit tightened up and now it's smooth as glass :) it also fixed the dust cover that was hitting the spring plug tunnel on the left side, basically the front right frame rail was bent/angled in .009, now everything is within .002-.003.

Here's a video with the pistol disassembled with just the frame and slide

For comparison here is my Les Baer TDP

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
Okay, how much better does it shoot now that it's tightened up and how is reliability. Every thing's better I hope.

Reactions: CJ

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
Things like this are the reason I prefer FTF sales . Before spending hard earned cash , I want to hold it in my hands and inspect it .
What he said. Over the past 18 months My suspicions about just how many slimy, sleazy lying peices of you know what are actually among us have been proven true several times. I dont believe anybody who is trying to get my money because they'll do or say just about anything to get it.
I used to believe that all the people who are into the shooting sports and associated endeavors were honest and forthright, like my dad and my grandpa and all those old guys I grew up around and listened to and learned from, THEY ARE NOT. I'm sorry for the cynicism but it has recently been earned, a few times.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What he said. Over the past 18 months My suspicions about just how many slimy, sleazy lying peices of you know what are actually among us have been proven true several times. I dont believe anybody who is trying to get my money because they'll do or say just about anything to get it.
I used to believe that all the people who are into the shooting sports and associated endeavors were honest and forthright, like my dad and my grandpa and all those old guys I grew up around and listened to and learned from, THEY ARE NOT. I'm sorry for the cynicism but it has recently been earned, a few times.
I'm not sure some of these scammers are even into shooting sports. They just see opportunity in these forums. They seem to be everywhere.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm confused.. the video shows a pistol with a "made in Brazil" frame stampinmg, yet in the posted ad ( is it the ad from where he bought the pistol ?)
the frame is stamped "Genesco Ill." on the side of the frame ?

was there a frame switch ? do the Brazil made frames have a "Genesco Ill." stamping on their side, & Brazil stamped beneath ? ..(I thought they did not)

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
in my experience the old Imbel from Brazil frames are indeed marked Geneseo, Il, on right side of frame with serial ## just below. Brazil markings were under grip area and some were lightly marked on dust cover. However my sample size is limited to about 6 pistols, maybe a few more. Also my sample size showed pistols having decent fitment with no blending of rear slide / frame.

Latest posts