loose slide to frame fit

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up this Springfield recently and didn't notice from the photos how square/blocky the shape of the front was, for me it's not horrible but it does feel odd and cosmetically it just doesn't look right.

My question is, am I just out of luck here or would it be possible to re shape it to a more standard radius? I'm assuming if this was attempted some of the existing checkering would still be present and if enough of the existing checkering is still in place could I use it as a guide for a checkering file and re checker?

BTW it's 30LPI and possibly hand checkered as it was built by Tim Bacus back in 2002

IMG_3032.JPG

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
How much money do you want to spend and how thick is the front strap?

If the front strap is thick enough it can be machined to a new radius and then rechecked, flutes, balls or some other treatment. The frame will have to be refinished as well.

Check out this guys work.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic

If the front strap is thick enough it can be machined to a new radius and then rechecked, flutes, balls or some other treatment. The frame will have to be refinished as well.

Thanks for the reply Mike
I just traded into this pistol and If this pistol turns out to be as nice of a build as the seller claimed then I'll definitely want to spend the extra money to finish it exactly how I'd like it to look and feel, right now it's been sitting at my FFL since last Thursday waiting the sheriffs dept. to complete my background check, I should be able to pick it up in the next couple of days, when I get it home I'll check the front strap thickness.

I've been following jrjcustoms thread and was thinking about reaching out to him, I'd like to have some cosmetic machine work done on the slide and get the frame rails welded up and fit to the slide

Rick

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
I literally hit send on my last post when my FFL called to say come pick it up.

Looks like this front strap is plenty thick @ 0.116

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Something seems off here.
This is with the guide rod removed

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
That is a lot of play for a pistol described as extremely well fit slide to frame with no play whatsoever, and doesn't match the build sheet stating (slide to frame was fitted)

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Definitely did not get a good deal, we'll see if the previous owner steps up and does the right thing

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
That is a lot of play for a pistol described as extremely well fit slide to frame with no play whatsoever, and doesn't match the build sheet stating (slide to frame was fitted)

Keep on kind that all Smiths don't for a slide as tightly than others. The blame shouldn't be placed upon the seller, unless, he/she specifically stated the slide was fit a certain way

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Keep on kind that all Smiths don't for a slide as tightly than others. The blame shouldn't be placed upon the seller, unless, he/she specifically stated the slide was fit a certain way
I agree that all smiths do not fit the slide/frame as tightly as others but on this particular pistol I would consider this amount of play excessive. I did ask the seller "how's the slide to frame fit".......His response "Slide to frame fit is exceptional, no play whatsoever. Locks up like a vault and slide movement is smooth. Tim's work on this was exquisite"

I believe that this shock buff was masking the poor fitment, it fits really snug inside the dust cover and from what I can tell it was the only thing aligning the front of the slide, I haven't checked it with calipers yet but it's definitely larger than the guide rod head and was tight enough to make reassembly challenging, sure seems like a trick or a band aid to give the appearance of a tighter fit.

IMG_3081.jpg

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Springs and shock buffs can really tighten a loose pistol up. ;)
Honest question as I'd really like to learn.
Is there a certain clearance the flanged/head end of the guide rod should be away from the dust cover? I've read .007 is normal?
I'm also trying to understand what's going on right in that area when the slide is recoiling back, does the guide rod stay in contact with the barrel or does it get forced down against the dust cover?

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Honest question as I'd really like to learn.
Is there a certain clearance the flanged/head end of the guide rod should be away from the dust cover? I've read .007 is normal?
I'm also trying to understand what's going on right in that area when the slide is recoiling back, does the guide rod stay in contact with the barrel or does it get forced down against the dust cover?
There are some pretty good slow motion shots of the guide rod and recoil spring in this video.

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks,
Great video and a little ironic that there is a shock buff on that 1911 ;)

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic

I sent James an email tonight, we'll see if he's available to do some work