Long guns!

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys..I see a lot of AR threads here, but does anyone shoot long guns in competition or just for fun? I'm a military and state department sniper, and have a fetish for a sexy bolt gun ;) Anyways, let's hear what you guys have, or what you're planning on getting!

I'll start. Of course, I have a custom AR15 .223 that is more than capable of consistently hitting 600 yd chest shots. More recently, I have a Remington 700 that I have tricked out and is currently being fitted for a detachable 10 rd mag instead of the traditional 4+1 internal mag. Custom barrel from a buddy of mine in Colorado that makes STUPID accurate barrels. He also made my AR barrel. But the long gun shoots a beautiful .308 and holds 1/2 MOA groups all day (with select ammo of course). I always shoot Leupold Glass on my long guns just because it is the best bang for your buck, plus it's what I use on my duty weapon as well, so i'm comfortable with it. All that is sitting on a fully adustable H&S Precision Synthetic Stock. Lets hear/see what you're rocking for the long range stuff!

-Paden

P.S. - Pics of my 700 will be posted as soon as the modifications are complete!

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 40

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Need to get her out for better pictures, but here's mine:

100_1659_Small.jpg

Remington 700 .243, in B&C A2 stock. It has an EGW base, Weaver low rings, and a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 scope. I have a Hart .243 AI barrel I will be putting on at some point.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
ahhhhhh you just hit my wheel house....I am a custom bolt gun lover, here are a few that I have owned:

058.jpg

002-4.jpg

Beanlandbuilds005.jpg

011.jpg

6x47-1.jpg

7wsm.jpg

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I want a long ranger! I have a DPMS LR308 that I need to stretch out some. Have only shot it to about 475. Where do you guys shoot at?

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
Remington 5R 308, Nightforce glass, EGW 20 MOA base, seekins rings & JP AMCS chassis. Getting the barrel threaded for JP compensator & installing large bolt knob now.

dennishoddy

Damm! you guys have some nice bolt guns!!
I just have factory stuff for hunting, so I won't bore you. Just sit back and watch for more pics!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a rather large fan of the bolt guns! I think I have one that has not been gone thru the other's an awesome friend of mine and I built some he was not all that thrilled about doing but we came up with some wonderful rifles that shoot much better than they look for sure. Here's a real fun one I had for a bit but it found a new home, never got a real warm fuzzy with it but it was FUN!

001-6.jpg

Then I have my strictly hunting rifle but for 3 shots you can ring steel way out there, it shoots rather flat but it's been so long since I shot any LR that I can't even recall my come-ups

004-1.jpg

Here's the workhorse and the my friend when it comes to steel

002-3.jpg

And the boring rifle,

Mauser2434.jpg

I miss going down to Bobbie's world but it's a heck of a drive these days with 13mpg and fuel a $3.30 a gallon those trips can get a bit pricey. Awesome looking rifles fella's! the blue stocks are kinda sexy. Later,

Kirk

jtischauser

What kind of MOA do these bad boys shoot? Can a guy shoot high dollar factory loads like black hills and get similar results? I want to learn the long stuff but I don't want to learn the reloading side of things right away.

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
What kind of MOA do these bad boys shoot? Can a guy shoot high dollar factory loads like black hills and get similar results? I want to learn the long stuff but I don't want to learn the reloading side of things right away.

Jesse, Remington 700 SPS Tactical is Under $1000 and with 175gr Black Hills Match or a good Hornady round, it will hold 1MOA out of the box. Just depend on what your gun likes, like any gun. My best groupings come with Black Hills. But that's just my gun. I have shot sub 1/2 MOA with Black Hills on good days. I have also reached out to about 1150 yards with the 175 gr and it held up pretty well. You help me with 3-gun, I'll help you with long range shooting? Sounds fair? Lol

jtischauser

Jesse, Remington 700 SPS Tactical is Under $1000 and with 175gr Black Hills Match or a good Hornady round, it will hold 1MOA out of the box. Just depend on what your gun likes, like any gun. My best groupings come with Black Hills. But that's just my gun. I have shot sub 1/2 MOA with Black Hills on good days. I have also reached out to about 1150 yards with the 175 gr and it held up pretty well. You help me with 3-gun, I'll help you with long range shooting? Sounds fair? Lol

It's gonna be a long drive for range days but I'm in.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic

If going factory, get the 5R Rem 700 in 308. It will shoot the 175 Sierra Match Kings (SMK's) or the 168gr SMK's very well right out of the box. A lot of your money in long range rigs is your glass. You want something with repeatable turret adjustments. Forget Leupold they aren't what they used to be. Look into Vortex Viper PST line.....they are pretty decent for the price. I have a fast twist 22-250 that is almost ready to run, when I have it done and post a pic we can go shoot it whenever you like. Long range is easy, and boring, thus the reason I'm getting into 3-gun. Once you figure the long range stuff out, it gets old.

jtischauser

I'm already wanting a big bad surgeon gun with a monster NightForce on top which is why I don't have one yet.

I hear that on long range bring slow. That's probably why I suck at it. My ADDADD can't wait for sights and breathing to be perfect. I figure getting good at sniper type Shootibg will help me immensely in 3 gun.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
It definitely helps you understand trigger control and breathing. The difference is you have a rifle that weighs 14 pounds and has a one pound trigger versus a 3 pound pistol with a 5lb trigger....but you get the idea that a smooth trigger pull is a must.

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm already wanting a big bad surgeon gun with a monster NightForce on top which is why I don't have one yet.

I hear that on long range bring slow. That's probably why I suck at it. My ADDADD can't wait for sights and breathing to be perfect. I figure getting good at sniper type Shootibg will help me immensely in 3 gun.

Long range shooting is ALL about solid fundamentals! A good, steady position, proper breathing, sight picture and sight alignment, and trigger squeeze are the core fundamentals. I can shoot you a lengthy PM on those fundamentals more in depth is you like. Just new things to try on the range next time you're out. You can't even think about calling wind, reading mirage, measuring angles, adjusting for temp. and altitude, etc. until you master the fundamentals! But yes, you are correct. Once you get those fundamentals down, it will help ALL of your shooting including 3 gun. I'm just going to need to make a trip out to OK to meet and shoot with some of you guys one weekend. I feel we could both benefit from it.

jtischauser

I shot a two man sniper match last year and there was a lot of talk about 6.5. Seemed most guys didn't love it if memory serves me right.

Are there a lot more custom off the shelf loads for it?

Refresh my memory. 6.5 needs a large frame AR10 lower doesn't it?

Latest posts