Long guns!

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
If going factory, get the 5R Rem 700 in 308. It will shoot the 175 Sierra Match Kings (SMK's) or the 168gr SMK's very well right out of the box. A lot of your money in long range rigs is your glass. You want something with repeatable turret adjustments. Forget Leupold they aren't what they used to be. Look into Vortex Viper PST line.....they are pretty decent for the price. I have a fast twist 22-250 that is almost ready to run, when I have it done and post a pic we can go shoot it whenever you like. Long range is easy, and boring, thus the reason I'm getting into 3-gun. Once you figure the long range stuff out, it gets old.

As far as Leupold glass, I will have to disagree. But i dont know, maybe i'm just bias. You can't beat the quality of the Leupold Mk4 LR/T with a TMR reticle in it for the price ($1100). But of course, there are better alternatives at a larger price. What's really cool about leupold...say you finally find a reload that is shooting sub 1/2 MOA. You can chrono the round, send all that data to leupold and they will manufacture new dials that fit your scope that are true BDC for that round. If you are military or LE, they will do it for free. If not, it's not very expensive at all. Pretty cool I think.

Donovan

Well-Known Fanatic
Preset knobs are BS they only work under an EXACT set of conditions past 600 , Air density, elevation ASL, and BC are what makes it happen the only way to know these are notes in your log book at different conditions... period

Good examle you do as stated above then go to a match say colo. which is 4000 asl( or more) and your knobs are at 1000 here in okie land the density is different your knobs are off say 2 moa at 700 = 14 inches you just missed............

6.5 creedmore has a great BC 140 amax, a good BC helps cheat all above with how well it slips the air. BC is king past 600 peroid cant out headstamp BC ...

Jesse if you are ever around lawton give me a shout i can get to 850 -1000 at my house ......

Leupold is ok but for a few more dollars NXS is the way to go zerostop, repeatable , BETTER glass..... and if you want great S&B PMII .........i know have had them all......

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
As far as Leupold glass, I will have to disagree. But i dont know, maybe i'm just bias. You can't beat the quality of the Leupold Mk4 LR/T with a TMR reticle in it for the price ($1100). But of course, there are better alternatives at a larger price. What's really cool about leupold...say you finally find a reload that is shooting sub 1/2 MOA. You can chrono the round, send all that data to leupold and they will manufacture new dials that fit your scope that are true BDC for that round. If you are military or LE, they will do it for free. If not, it's not very expensive at all. Pretty cool I think.

Sorry, going to have to refute what you are saying. The old VXIII LR/T's might be good scopes, but the new one's suck. Kenton industries will make you a custom turret if you want one, and they make them for almost any scope made. The BDC turrets might work inside 300 yards where the velocity doesn't change much but go past that and your asking for trouble. Wanna travel to colorado and use your rifle to shoot an antelope? Well your turret is now off calibration. It's easier to dial your correction with a normal MOA or MIL turret. Drop charts are too easy to make to be stuck with purchasing a custom BDC turret everytime you want to shoot something else.

Not going to travel with it? Fine, what are you going to do if your barrel starts to shoot a bad group with your go to load? Now you tweek it and your BDC turret is off. My only point in all this is there are too many variables to handcuff yourself with a BDC turret.

As far a Leupold quality goes, I stand by my original comments..... The Vortex Viper PST in Second Focal Plane (for $699) blows away the Mark 4 scopes (at $1300+) that are in second focal plane and does the same in the First Focal Plane comparisons. I've owned them both, along with Nightforce and Zeiss Diavari and Premier Reticles scopes. The Vortex at its price point whips Leupold.

Now enough of the jaw jackin....back to the photos:

The first custom I ever owned:
7mm3.jpg

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
The first custom I ever owned:
7mm3.jpg

Specs Man! Specs!

Oh, and that is a darn fine looking gun for your first!

Was it your first "custom" - like mine, I'm building it part by part - or the first complete build you ordered custom from a 'smith?

dennishoddy

Not going to travel with it? Fine, what are you going to do if your barrel starts to shoot a bad group with your go to load? Now you tweek it and your BDC turret is off. My only point in all this is there are too many variables to handcuff yourself with a BDC turret.
Here is where I have to agree. The new rage is the BDC turrets. "Just dial in the distance and shoot!"
A lot here don't remember, but before they became junk, Tasco got into the quality scope field in the mid 80's with their World Class line.
They sported the BDC turrets.
I suckered in and bought one. Great glass at the time, even beating out Leupold for glass of the year award.
The turret system sucked unless one operated at sea level, and used the exact load the turrets were calibrated for.
Recently Nikon started the newest rage, with the same theory.
they use the circles or dots on the reticle, and hype the same thing as tasco did in the 80's.
When you finally find out it sucks, you can go to their web sight, and down load a program or an app for the smart phone that will allow one to "calibrate" the scope for temp, altitude, BC, velocity, etc...

A little time at the range will tell you the same thing.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a die hard Mil guy UNTIL I found the MOA reticule, all my drops are in MOA so I just use the reticule, I deal with inches all day so MOA just makes sense to me so most of the time I don't even mess with my turrets unless I want to get pickey with where the bullets goes. The programs I have found while they will get you close your better off to make a drop chart and don't do like me and loose them. Later,

Kirk

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
No arguments here. All valid point, you Leupold haters!! Lol. Like I said, I'm just bias. I will definitely have to give the Vortex scope you mentioned a shot. And I love Nightforce too. Nightforce is what I used on my Mk13 in the military.

But yes, all of you guys have/had some nice guns!! Does anyone compete with them? Any long gun competitions in OK?

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with the dislike of the BDC reticles and turrets. I'm not rich enough to dedicate each rifle to only one task and one bullet and one load.

I've got a .243, and I want to be able to use it for deer, coyotes, and paper.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
What optics are most popular in this game?

Top end: Schmidt Bender, Hendsoldt (made by zeiss)
Middle-top: Nightforce NXS, Vortex Razor line, US Optics, IOR
Middle-lower: (a good starting place) Vortex PST, Leupold, SWFA SS
low: Weaver Tactical, Nikon Tactical, Barska
don't: Millet, counter sniper (100% POS Marketing Hype)

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
Specs Man! Specs!

Oh, and that is a darn fine looking gun for your first!

Was it your first "custom" - like mine, I'm building it part by part - or the first complete build you ordered custom from a 'smith?

R700 Magnum Action
Rock M24 Fluted 8 twist barrel
7mm Rem Mag
McMillan A5
Badger DBM
Jewell trigger
Made by quite possibly the worst gunsmith I have ever dealt with. He really soured me on out of state people. What a JERK!

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Top end: Schmidt Bender, Hendsoldt (made by zeiss)
Middle-top: Nightforce NXS, Vortex Razor line, US Optics, IOR
Middle-lower: (a good starting place) Vortex PST, Leupold, SWFA SS
low: Weaver Tactical, Nikon Tactical, Barska
don't: Millet, counter sniper (100% POS Marketing Hype)

Where would you put the Bushnell Elite scopes? Just curious since that's what I have! :scratchhead:

R700 Magnum Action
Rock M24 Fluted 8 twist barrel
7mm Rem Mag
McMillan A5
Badger DBM
Jewell trigger
Made by quite possibly the worst gunsmith I have ever dealt with. He really soured me on out of state people. What a JERK!

That would seriously suck! Did the gun itself perform though?

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
Where would you put the Bushnell Elite scopes? Just curious since that's what I have! :scratchhead:
Sorry I always forget about them because I have never really ran them. Depending on model I would put them with the Vortex PST line. The new HDMR scopes are supposed to be really nice. Bushnell has come a long way since I was a youngin buying them for $30 from Wal-Mart.

Again that is just my opinion of the current scopes.

That would seriously suck! Did the gun itself perform though?

It did but by the time I got it with all the drama I didn't want it any longer.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry I always forget about them because I have never really ran them. Depending on model I would put them with the Vortex PST line. The new HDMR scopes are supposed to be really nice. Bushnell has come a long way since I was a youngin buying them for $30 from Wal-Mart.

Again that is just my opinion of the current scopes.

Friend of mine sold his Nightforce to get one of the HDMR scopes. The Bushy 6500 is the nicest scope I've ever owned, by miles. (Which tells you what I've had!)

It did but by the time I got it with all the drama I didn't want it any longer.

I went through that riinger on a custom holster. I can't imagine having had 10-20x more money on the line!

NooB33

Well-Known Fanatic
For most of my long gun stuff, I go through Carl @ www.accuracysystemsinc.com There is a small wait for him, but you can send him your action if you want to build off of that, or he will do something new for you, all to you specifications. Does GREAT work with precision rifles! If you are interested, please tell him I sent you!

-Paden Hale

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is my only precision bolt gun, haven't pushed it past 200 yet, but plan to this fall.

1903A4001-1.jpg

Shoots good for what it is, I know 3 shot groups aren't as telling, so I will fix that soon. Hoping to go back to the 200 yard line (where this group was shot) Monday.
1903group.jpg

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
Well since Oklahoma lawmakers came to their senses and allowed us to use suppressors this year for hunting I will be taking this rifle into the field:

Rem 700 (no prefix SN from the early 80's) trued up
Manners T stock 90%Carbon fill
Rock 7 twist carbon fiber barrel threaded for suppressor 21"
Vortex Viper HS 5-15
22-250

gonna toss the 60 grainers at yotes and 62gr tipped triple shocks at the deer/hog population

002-9.jpg

005-3.jpg

Latest posts