LEE PRO AUTO DISK

Ben Rowland

Fanatic
Hey guys, fairly new to reloading, but trying out new stuff. Up until now I have been using an electronic RCBS scale for all my loads. I have a LEE Auto Disk that came with my turret press. I gave it a try and the powder weights have so much variation. The load is 5.8gns of autocom, 180gn jacketed bullets, 1.125oal I tried out the auto dusk and I get anywhere from 5.8 to 6.3, which is the do not exceed for the load. Based on your experience is this piece if equipment worth it, or should I just go back to the scale. I'm loading for practice rounds, comp rounds will come off the RCBS.

THanks in advance.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
5.8 to 6.3 Grains seems like a very big difference (0.5 Grains)
Lee Auto Disk is not a very accurate measurer, Lee used to make a Perfect Powder measurer that was a lot better than the Auto Disk

Most experienced reloader's use Dillon, Hornad or RCBS (Blue Red or Green) I would stick with one of the big three

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Things to try. Coat inside of disk with graphite from a #2 pencil, maybe try a Lee adjustable disk, maybe try a different powder, as not all drop consistently, and lastly, as previously stated, get a Dillion. If you are going to hand load much at all, the Dillion is worth every penny. I started with a Lee progressive and really wanted it to work out, but the Dillion 550 is a joy.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Something is wrong. Mine doesn't vary that much. Might not be getting a full drop on some of the lighter drops. Mine wasn't getting a full drop when I first set it up. They take a little bit of tinkering but can work. That said, I wouldn't buy one again. Dillon will be my next press. If you can't figure out what's causing the variation I'd go back to the scale until you can get an accurate and repeatable powder measure.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I have a auto disk. The only time I have seen that kind of variance is when the chain is loose and the actuating lever isn't pulled all the way down. That will cause the disk to stay forward slightly and not let the powder drop freely. I'm also loading autocomp at about 4.9 grains and I don't see much charge weight variance at all.

Latest posts