Kimber Pro CDP II 4" 45acp

Should I get it? Worth the $$$$?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I'm contemplating getting a Kimber Pro CDP II 4" 45acp. I didn't think that I would buy a Kimber from the models I've seen and handled in the past. But I heard that they have got their act together recently. Also, good reviews on this model. Now I'll ask the forum experts on your opinion.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm contemplating getting a Kimber Pro CDP II 4" 45acp. I didn't think that I would buy a Kimber from the models I've seen and handled in the past. But I heard that they have got their act together recently. Also, good reviews on this model. Now I'll ask the forum experts on your opinion.
Well it IS a commander size, and it is 45acp.... :cool:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
True, but a 4" instead of 4.25". A bull bbl. and no bushing. Makes me wonder. That why I'm putting my feelers out.
They are actually easier to take apart w/o the bushing. I had two very early Pro Carry's. I First one was black, shot nice, had a slight problem with trigger return. Decided a few months after I bought It that I wanted a stainless one, so I traded it for one. That one had some issues too, and I sent it back to NY. The people there gave me New York attitude, and pissed me off. I traded it to someone who had an original TRP with strong side only safety. And that one went to my son, who ran into financial problems, and had to sell it. He gave me first crack at it, but I was broke at that time too, so it got sold to a gun store. Man I'd love to have that TRP back. That was a beautiful gun.
I think their quality has come up in the later guns soooo....

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm still in the undecided mode. Never been like this on a gun purchase before. Guess it's because it's a Kimber. There quaity issues are not proven totally positive yet. But then again who is TOTALY positive? None.
We are all truly human, and prone to foul up. Love the comment Guess It's because It's a Kimber. I lean tword Springfield, but they have had their share of problems too. Regardless, it's a lot of $$$, to spend just to find out it Isn't what you'd hoped It'd be. Any chance you can go someplace and possibly rent one, and see if you like it before you make a decision?

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
Get a Dan Wesson or a Springfield Armory. From the QA perspective, these two are top performers in the "semi-custom" market, and—in the rare instance that there was a problem—both are very are smooth and very fast at accepting responsibility *and* making it right.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Another option.. if you like a bull barrel, I'd suggest finding a BUL Armory 1911.
My all SS CMDR, (in 9mm) is the best out of the box 1911 I've ever owned. ( more than a dozen of them)
It's quality is easily = the Dan Wesson's I've owned.
If I didn't already own a Colt Commander & Dan Wesson CBOB in 45, I'd snag a Bul Armory CMDR in that cal.
They're currently bargain priced, IMO..if you can find one in stock anywhere. Even have front strap checkering..

I found mine @ grab-a-gun : https://grabagun.com/firearms/handg...er-stainless-45-acp-4-25-barrel-8-rounds.html

Michael Miedzianowski

Active Fanatic
I had a 4.25" Kimber CDP and loved it BUT due to getting a divorce I sold it and instead got a different .45 , I wasn't sure what I thought of it but once I took it to the range I fell in love and carried it for several years . It was comfortable to carry and conceal and more accurate than my Colt so I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend upwards of thousands of dollars and yet get a great gun .

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
To say that the Bul Armory is the equal of a DAN WESSON is saying something!

When they start making 10mm models, then they will be on my radar screen.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
After researching and the Swartz safety issue I have decided, nope. But thank you all for you input. Case closed.
I don't know if they're still available, but I've owned a 4 inch Super Carry Pro for at least ten years, never a problem. Also not a Swartz safety. Bull barrel has never been an issue.

Airdale26

Fanatic
I have alway been open to many different firearms I have trended towards the 1911 frame in 45 ACP. (perference) However, after shooting the Kimber CDP Ultra 45 ACP I was hooked in its reliability, functionality and general handling. The CDP took every type of ammo I tried. 230 ball HST, 185 JHP from different manufacturers and with 1000 rounds fired in had one failure to load. I was impressed with the ease for disassembly and clearning so similar to typical 1911 frames

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
My Falt for not keeping up with my own post. I did get a Kimber Pro 4" CPD. I changed out the safety to a Wilson Low-ride, Wollf recoil spring, changed grips to VZ's and had a little trigger and grip safety(adjusting) work done. It has been great. But I HATE the worthless, PITA, stupid Swartz safety junk. For that reason alone, I will most likely never buy another Kimber. Some companies know how to ruin a good thing. But this one is defiantly a shooter. Now.

Airdale26

Fanatic
Good to Know. Thank you for the reply to an old post.
I never minded the Swartz Safety mechanism. I look forwards how does it function with a variety of ammo, how reliable is it in the cycling again giving the differnt types of ammo I have tested. Carry, functionality, reliability are my key elements.

Each pistol has specific features from striker fired to hammer, to safeties , to No safeties etc. You make it they way you want it for your use.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Good to Know. Thank you for the reply to an old post.
I never minded the Swartz Safety mechanism. I look forwards how does it function with a variety of ammo, how reliable is it in the cycling again giving the differnt types of ammo I have tested. Carry, functionality, reliability are my key elements.

Each pistol has specific features from striker fired to hammer, to safeties , to No safeties etc. You make it they way you want it for your use.
Great advice there. Thank's

Airdale26

Fanatic
OH I Agree on the Winchester ammo. I have been impressed with them.
FEDERAL HST and HydroShok are my prime ammo. But in my testing I have used Ruger Critical Defense, Lawman, PMC, PPU, POF and others. JHP, Teflon tip HP
etc. I like the CDP because it takes everything and functions.