Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Im not familiar with Tisas , but remember reading about problems with Turkish gun barrels , not sure if it was process or material but they had problems ! may want to do your research . A lot of foreign gun manufacturers are well known for embellished claims ! A used quality USA firearm may well be a better choice .

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
My guess is that is probably not a very good gun. You may have to inspect a few of them to find the right one.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had one that was fine, didn't put lot of rounds through it, traded it in on something else that caught my eye, mine a sample of one of thousands but wouldn't hesitate to buy another if opportunity presented itself, not endorsing them for anyone but not advising against either, other reasonable priced options are Springfield, Kimber, Desert Eagle, all well under 1000

kamml

Fanatic
BTW I got the Rock working with a Cylinder and Slide sear/trigger kit. Solid action and 4lb pull. Don't really know why the other kit didn't work out.

Mr.Fister

Active Fanatic
I read where Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide claims that the Tisas Hi Powers are harder steel than even the original Brownings and are the only maker he will build on as far as Hi Powers go, since Browning has discontinued their Wonder 9s Personally I haven't owned anything from Turkey.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Yes, if Bill Laughridge, will build on a Tisas, I'd say they are good to go.

A Pro Gunsmith, does not have time to reinvent the wheel, trying to make a living and a known out of spec gun surely would not be tolerated!

I prefer a FEG Clone, but even they are getting hard to find!!!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought an 80 series Gold Cup as my 1st 1911..back in the early 80's.. (if I remember year correctly. )
A m/c riding friend had a 70 series GC & he bought the then new 80 series GC to see which he liked better.
Shot 1 box of ammo thru the 80 series, took it back to the gun shop where he bought it, then paid them to clean it & prepare it for long term storage.
( I know this, as he showed me receipt describing what he'd had done) I bought the GC from him, took it out & when shooting it the 1st time, before I'd finished
the first box of ammo, the front sight fell off. Couldn't find it. Took pistol to an local gun shop & they suggested a Millet dual crimp front sight.
Had them install this, ( sight has 2 rivet-like protrusions on the base of the sight..2 holes are drilled in the slide, the rivets fit in the holes, then are crimped with a tool, so the can't fall off. When I picked up the pistol, it seemed fine. After having it awhile, I noticed the sight didn't firmly fit against the slide..I could stick a fingernail beneath the sight & slide, on the rear of the sight. Next I noticed the sight wasn't completely flat on top..I figured that the sight didn't fit firmly against the slide, so they hit it with a hammer to try to seat it against the slide. Didn't hit it flush, which made the top of the sight tapered to one side. Angry, I took the pistol back to the shop..it was closed /out of business. Ended up going to Anaheim , I was in San Diego @ the time, and had found found Terry Tussey,
in the yellow pages , explained the problem & he said he could fix it. Rode my m/c to see him..he removed the crooked sight, showed me the holes they had drilled. They were crooked, not in alignment. He showed me the jig they're supposed to use..to drill the holesin the proper place. He was able to fix this, while I waited.
Talking with him while he worked, I asked him what brand 1911 I should buy , if it was NOT a Colt.
He told me, without pause, "Springfield Armory". When I asked why, he explained.."they put the holes in the right place"
Explaining further that Springfield made their 1911's to Colt dimensions, / blueprints. Many of the other companies do not, and when trying to work on them, parts don't fit properly. I took his advice & bought a GI 1911, which I had him modify for me @ a later date. Still own it..

With the advent of CNC machining, foreign companies , like RIA, have been able to produce 1911 's inexpensively, and sell them a bargain prices.
I suspect, American machinists were hired to set up the tooling / equipment ,and train locals to keep them in tune.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I would like to know if this 1911 takes real 1911 parts :eek: that's first. Next I would want to tear it down
before I bought it. You can spot bad workmanship by the flash & tool marks for one.

It could be like the Mossberg 500 I tore down & removed flash & smoothed out some parts, it felt buttery smooth compared to it's new feel.
If I need a BBQ pickup 1911 I would buy it in a heart beat & go through it & then, shoot the He!! out of it.

What did the old timers say?
It's better to have a 1911 in your hand during times of NO money, than it is to have money in your hand during times of no 1911s ;)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Being an insomniac of curious nature, here is some info from Classic. Reviews and all. I'd still feel a bit safer with the track record of RIA, but good edification at any rate.
They do look like a nice gun. RIA has been around for quite a while now, and seem to have a real good reputation. I'd say if you get a chance to compare the two before you make a final decision.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The new thing, it seems, with the Tupperware Pistols is the ability to change the backstrap size to make it fit different hand sizes, but...

JMB was ahead of them even in that.

If the 1911 feels to big, go to a flat MSH a "slim" ,pair of grips and, a short trigger...

To small, go to a long trigger, arched MSH, and regular grips...

Little things ,do make a difference!
Agree. I go the arched m/s housing, short trigger route. Herrett's hb-1 grips and call it good. Small hands short fingers. Works for me.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Nutnfancy just did a video on the Tisas, pretty high praise, he also did a video on the ATI version that's similar not long ago, he liked that one as well, my neighbor, my sons father in law got one of the ATI's couple years back as a gift, I field stripped it and gave a good cleaning and lube, he's never shot it, think it's time to take him to the range, I remember that particular one selling for 329 at the time he got it

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Just my opinion , and I realize everyones budget is different; but me personally, I would save a bit more and buy the Springfield mil-spec or defender or whatever the new name is way before any import. Just me

SJ 40

Fanatic
Nutnfancy just did a video on the Tisas, pretty high praise, he also did a video on the ATI version that's similar not long ago, he liked that one as well, my neighbor, my sons father in law got one of the ATI's couple years back as a gift, I field stripped it and gave a good cleaning and lube, he's never shot it, think it's time to take him to the range, I remember that particular one selling for 329 at the time he got it
He raves about it so much so that I had to pick one up at my LGS,damned thing shoots more accurately than my mid 90's Colt Gold Cup and all this for 459.00.

Here's NutNFancy's video of it.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I have owned a couple of Tisas and one Rock. The Rock has a cast frame, Tisas is forged. The Rock has a better plastic box, the Tisas just cardboard. The last Tisas came with a disassembly tool and cleaning rod. Plus Tisas has a Novak style rear sight and front sight with three dots. The Rock just a plain black Novak style rear and no dots. Rock has a good trigger pull, smooth too. The Tisas is a little gravelly but style light for a 1911. The Tisas is imported into Knoxville, another plus for me.
Bottom line....You get what you pay for. Buying a cheap pistol that never increases in value and never make an heirloom is a perfect example.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" a cheap pistol that never increases in value and never make an heirloom" is certainly true.

There are many reasons why someone may choose to buy a "cheap" foreign-made 1911.
One is, they may not want to invest a sizeable amount of money to try the 1911 format.
and / or they may not be able to afford a more expensive 1911 @ all

Not everyone wants a 1911 (or any other pistol) as a heirloom possession.

Some buy less expensive 1911's to work on them , themselves.
Purchasers may not want to practice their gun smithing skills on a more expensive pistol.

I bought my first RIA 1911 ( a GI model in 9mm) because I could buy an entire pistol for less than I would have spent on parts,
as I had considered converting a Colt 1911 in 45 acp to 9mm caliber..new slide, barrel,bushing, ejector, extractor, magazine,.
Not to mention the difficulty I would have had actually finding Colt parts to do the conversion I'd considered.

Same story with the other RIA 1911 I own..wanted to try an Officer -sized 1911, and found a like new / previously-owned RIA ,
for about 1/2 what a Colt would have cost.. I just wanted to try that size 1911, to see if what I had read so often about them, was true.
( It wasn't.) I found my small RIA 1911 45 to be both easy / comfortable to shoot, & more accurate than I would have expected.
It also functions fine, with factory ammo ,or a variety of my hand loads.

Sure there are other reasons buyers may choose to buy the less expensive, foreign-made, 1911's ,in addition to the reasons I mentioned.

Scout

New Fanatic
My LGS had a special of 2 Tisas Service in 9mm for $599. Very pleased and would recommend. They are not like my other 1911 ( Brown, Wilson, Springer Pro, Nighthawk Guncrafters and Wesson) but they make it hard to justifying spending $3k for a gun when a $300 ones is more than adequate. Use them as bad weather carry's on the farm and a field.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
" a cheap pistol that never increases in value and never make an heirloom" is certainly true.

There are many reasons why someone may choose to buy a "cheap" foreign-made 1911.
One is, they may not want to invest a sizeable amount of money to try the 1911 format.
and / or they may not be able to afford a more expensive 1911 @ all

Not everyone wants a 1911 (or any other pistol) as a heirloom possession.

Some buy less expensive 1911's to work on them , themselves.
Purchasers may not want to practice their gun smithing skills on a more expensive pistol.

I bought my first RIA 1911 ( a GI model in 9mm) because I could buy an entire pistol for less than I would have spent on parts,
as I had considered converting a Colt 1911 in 45 acp to 9mm caliber..new slide, barrel,bushing, ejector, extractor, magazine,.
Not to mention the difficulty I would have had actually finding Colt parts to do the conversion I'd considered.

Same story with the other RIA 1911 I own..wanted to try an Officer -sized 1911, and found a like new / previously-owned RIA ,
for about 1/2 what a Colt would have cost.. I just wanted to try that size 1911, to see if what I had read so often about them, was true.
( It wasn't.) I found my small RIA 1911 45 to be both easy / comfortable to shoot, & more accurate than I would have expected.
It also functions fine, with factory ammo ,or a variety of my hand loads.

Sure there are other reasons buyers may choose to buy the less expensive, foreign-made, 1911's ,in addition to the reasons I mentioned.
Yes, I think your right. The foreign ones are an alternative for the money, and a few are good. But I have to laugh when someone buys a foreign 1911 then adds different grips, barrels, triggers.. At that point, how much do they have is their so called cheap pistol? I recently bought a like new Springfield 1911 Loaded for $675 at a pawn shop, a very nice shooter. I guess it's a personal thing, I prefer supporting American steel whenever I can. But this is America, the choice is up to it's citizens.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe it's pretty common to buy a lower-priced 1911 (or any pistol, really) and then start putting money into it, to make it shoot better, look better, feel better, etc.. I did put too much $ into my RIA 9mm, didn't like the parkerized finish, so had it cerekoted. Didn't like the tiny GI sights, so had gunsmith install better, more easily visable straight 8 sights..'course needed to changer the grips, etc.. Soon I'd put about as much into that pistol as I'd paid for it.
A few years later, I also found what I wanted, ( & would have liked to buy in the first place ) a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm. Found it on Gunbroker, my 1st purchase using that site. Guy who sold it described it accurately, and sent about 4 extra mags he had for it. I was happy.

I understand I'll probably never get the $ I've put into the RIA out of it in a sale, but the mods I did made it a better looking (IMO) and shooting pistol,
so it's not like it was wasted. Just a learning experience, so sorts. One I feel is pretty common for those on this site.

added: a Springfield Loaded for $ 675.00 was a nice find & buy, IMO.

Latest posts