input on 22lr rifles

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
thinking of picking up another range plinker

Although I want a volquartsen I-flute 5, it is pricey and I have heard a couple complaints recently about it being finicky.

another option I like is a Magnum research barracuda. both boast supreme accuracy.

I am asking you kind folks to let me know what you know of them--good,bad,ugly--does not matter. all opinions welcome

thanks

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Umerex Colt Gold Cup built by Dave Lauck, DL Sports.

I probably have in excess of 13000 rounds through it with out one stoppage (using the ammo it was designed for).........what do you mean when you say "finicky"..........I assume you aren't shooting crap ammo in your competition pistol.

At first I didn't like it just because it was a Umerex but is so freaking reliable.........and though it is not Volquatzen accurate, it IS consistently accurate and accurate consistantly. (Still talking rarified air in terms of consistant accuracy)

May be a little more pricey than the volquatrzen but worth every penny and the wait.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
could be that those who related finicky rife stories (even friends) are using ammo that the rifle doe snot like or maybe they had a specific issue.

thanks for the post @John Galt

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a 15? Year old volquartsen. Accuracy is one hole at 50 yards. Been a while since I checked at 100 not much worse tho. Never had a bit of problems cheep ammo to high dollar stuff. Back when I ordered it you could specify what flavor of ammo you were going to shoot and they would chamber the gun for it. I don't see that option listed anymore.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a 15? Year old volquartsen. Accuracy is one hole at 50 yards. Been a while since I checked at 100 not much worse tho. Never had a bit of problems cheep ammo to high dollar stuff. Back when I ordered it you could specify what flavor of ammo you were going to shoot and they would chamber the gun for it. I don't see that option listed anymore.

thanks for the info. makes me feel much better. I use mini mag usually. zero issues so far with any 22 lr rifles. the volquartsen is calling me...;)

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, when I. First responded Inthought we were talking pistols.

I have a V rifle and it so accurate it almost gets boring. We take elementary school desk chairs, set them out about 150 yards and we shoot the plastic foot pads off. (Using a 22 mag rifle)............sorry, forget the model name and it is buried so I can't find it readily for you

Haven't shot that rifle for +/- 10 years but it was not finiky and never had the slightest issue..................as has been my experience with anything V

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Boat Doc,

Kidd makes the finest 10/22 imho. His triggers are considered the best per rimfire forum. He guarantees1/2" at 50 yards with everything except his ultralight barrel. However my Kidd ultralite consistently gets better than 1/2".
I have a heavy barrel that gets 1/4" more often than not with sk flat nose . It gets better with more expensive ammo.

If you like bolt actions, I have seen some CZ 452 and 455s shoot very well. The new 457 has some nicer features, but I don't know anyone who owns one. The CZ s are very reasonable in cost. However, the level of accuracy is a little more luck of the draw.

Last edited:

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
could be that those who related finicky rife stories (even friends) are using ammo that the rifle doe snot like or maybe they had a specific issue.

thanks for the post @John Galt

Maybe those relating problem issues read some reviews but had no personal experience with the guns.

Plus.....V customer service is so good it's a matter of pride. I can not IMAGINE that if you called and told them you were having this or that problem they wouldn't insist on having it back, they would go through it top to bottom and make it better than new or replace it.

My .02

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
You'll love it to the point where accuracy becomes so routine it's boring. It will last you forever

NOTE and fyi.......Use a snap cap to store it......DO NOT get in the habit of releasing the firing pin on an empty chamber when you are done shooting. It will ping your chamber and reduce your accuracy.