If you were buying your first 1911

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
would get the ROCK ISLAND milspec to learn the 1911a1,then SR 1911A1, then Kimber....

Attachments

• 17589-DEFAULT-l.jpg
    17589-DEFAULT-l.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 13

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I would go for a used Dan Wesson Valor, or Les Baer and save yourself the
inevitable situation of loosing money to move up.
Which you will do if you buy a 1911.
You only lose money IF you sell the gun. I agree w/ you totally for a used Les Baer, I got mine for $1,200. My 1st 1911 was a used stainless Colt Gold Cup for around $900, and still own it. IMHO, people who buy good guns tend to treat them as jewels and don't manhandle the guns.

Who here would abuse a Les Baer, Nighthawk Custom, Ed Brown, Colt, etc? It might get some wear from the holster, but none of us would mistreat a gun and they tend to make great purchases for the 2nd owner.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Vividly remember my first 1911. I traded a skinning knife for a 1911 WWII era gun that had Property of US Government stamped on it. I was 12. Knowing what I know today would go with the Wilson EDC X9. Sold that early .45 to the manager of a Supermarket and bought a new bicycle with the money. Couldn't really afford the price of .45 acp ammo at 12 years of age.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
Vividly remember my first 1911. I traded a skinning knife for a 1911 WWII era gun that had Property of US Government stamped on it. I was 12. Knowing what I know today would go with the Wilson EDC X9. Sold that early .45 to the manager of a Supermarket and bought a new bicycle with the money. Couldn't really afford the price of .45 acp ammo at 12 years of age.
did you get a background check???

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
My 1st 1911 was a used Colt Gold Cup, think I spent around $1,000. Now I buy less guns, but more expensive used Nighthawks, a Les Baer, and an Ed Brown. My 1st custom was a used Nighthawk Falcon, great decision. I had some great mentors when getting started, didn't make too many buying mistakes. I was lucky... My advice to someone getting started now would be to find a mentor and listen to them.

Reactions: nod

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
For me as of today 1st would be in your $$$ range an STI Trogan, mine shoots as well as my Wilson eats all you put in it, non longer made but available in your range and meets your criteria 100% All I know that have them have never had any trouble with them at all.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?

well , in general, I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy. But there are two edges on that approach. First, it took me maybe 5 years of researching 1911s to know what I wanted in my dream gun. That said,my dream gun changes about every six months and that is why most of us have more than one 1911.

My advice goes like this: Decide what you want to do with it target only? Carry? Competition ? Come back once you decide and these guys will help you narrow it down. get one with everything you need, nothing you don't . Good sights, good trigger, reliable . So right now , go to the gun store ( when they open again) and handle as many as you can. See what length trigger fits your hand the best . What sights are easiest for you to see.

The sweet spot in my opinion is the Dan Wesson lineup. Prices are good and fit finish feel and performance and hold their own with several semi custom. If you want to get some cosmetic work done, don't get the duty treat , it makes any machining work very difficult.

The only problem with used DW, is I dont think warranty work is transferable .

Ive owned 4 1911s . Two are full customs. knowing what I know now, I'd have gotten a Dan Wesson first, and any customization work would go to mr Steve Owens @integrityarms.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
What ever you decide DO NOT get one and then start looking to change things on it, get it right to start, My STI I mentioned had a #3 very crisp trigger, feeds anything, will shoot 3" or less at 50 yds from Ransom Rest, not ammo particular at all and is fun to shoot, in all the yrs I have shot it I broke a slide stop and they sent me one in 2 days free, 1000's of rounds through it. Fits regular 1911 holsters also, I did not want a rail on it. I remember so well all the one that came into our store for trade that owners had $$$$ invested and lost most all of it in trade and could have started right from the start cheaper, picture of it in Range Trip post thread.
Next you will be a reloader if you like to shoot it!

Mr Z

New Fanatic
If you're still looking for opinions... I would recommend a BRAND NEW, FULL SIZE, 5", ALL STEEL, BOX STOCK, Colt, Springfield Armory or Ruger; all with the 70 series firing mechanism. Buying new assures you that no one has messed around with or butchered any of the interior parts that you are unqualified to judge. I started with a Ruger SR1911 and learned my way around the gun for about $600- $650 back when they first came out. If you find out that you like the platform, you can always sell or trade to upgrade, and probably won't lose a bunch of money. Resist the urge to change anything. The Ruger, in my opinion, has "everything you need, and nothing you don't." (Unless you need an ambidextrous safety.) BTW, I kept the Ruger as a backup. Best of luck and welcome.

Reactions: STI

cxm

Active Fanatic
I don't agree with the advice about buying a high end Government Model for a first gun.

There are several very good quality Government model (GM) pistols on the market today that don't break the bank. For example:

Rock Isand (made by Armscor) has a model that is about as near to a WWII 1911 as you can get on the market today other than an original GI gun... and they are frightfully expensive these days. You can often find these pistols on sale under $400!!! A friend bought one thru Bud's for about $375 not long ago. Rock Island also offers models with more features if you are so inclined.

There are a few other such guns on the market, the Turkish made gun is a good example, though I think the RI is better.

After you spend $400 or so on your pistol use the other $600 on ammunition and get really good with the gun.

FWIW

Chuck

I am living in a low $1000's budget realm. Not ready for a Ferrari, but would like a nicely equipped Corvette.

I'm leaning to .45 ACP. A couple that have caught my eye that I am rather interested in at the local shop include:

DW Valor - stainless (used)
Colt Gold Cup '80 National Match (used)
Colt Commander 100 years of service (used)
Sig Sauer Model 1911 Sig Sauer (used)
Springfield Armory Model 1911-A1 (used)
Springfield Range Officer (used)

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't get why some of you folks are constantly saying stock kimbers, now it includes S & W and Springfield, this is so untrue and a very reckless statement, I have 6 Kimbers and 2 Springfield's that run fine, did you forget to count mine and the thousands and thousands that are just fine. You realize if this was true they would all be out of business. A truly irresponsible statement!

He is correct. The two Kimbers I owned were so badly made, and the support so incompetent, that I will never buy a Kimber product ever again. Just because your guns work does not mean that Kimber QC is letting bad guns through anyway. The frame on my gun was incorrect and could not be fixed. The replacement that Dennis promised they would look over and proof, had the same problem (as well as about 11 other problems that a file and an hour would fix). Missing the burr in the chamber on the first gunwas inexcusable!

cxm

Active Fanatic
If I were starting again, using the $1k budget you are using, I would buy a 1911A1 of the series 70 MkIV type by Colt.

These are well made guns that are reliable and and can be had for less than $1000. The big plus is with a Colt you will get good appreciation of value and if you want to sell it at some point it will sell easier than other brands.

If I were not going to buy a Colt my choice would be a Rock Island. These can be had for under $400 for the basic GI model if you shop around. IMHO these are the best and most correctly done 1911A1 clones on the market. You can move up to more advanced models of the RI and get a LOT of gun at reasonable prices. These guns shoot very well and are as accurate as any other similarly equipped models as they come out of the box and at about half the price of big name guns. You can use the money you save to buy a bunch of 45acp ammo and get really good with the gun.

Fwiw

Chuck...

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Kimber Raptor Pro II, Springfield Range officer both 4,25 and 5 inch, Sr11 Smith, and a Nighthawk Talon on order. With the exception of the Talon ; the Raptor and 5 inch Springfield Range officer are my best shooting guns. Both deadly on the range for Accuracy , Recoil and just plain feel. Looking forward to the Talon; have heard nothing but good reports on any Nighthawk.
`

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?
Either a:

* Les Baer
*Wilson Combat
*Nighthawk
*Alchemy Custom Weaponry
*STI (if they still made one in .45ACP)

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just what you can justify spending, me my STI 45 or Wilson CQB, also like my Para P14 well, if funds limited a Ruger or Rem probably.

smitty316

Fanatic
I'd ask what attracted the buyer to the 1911 in the first place. Is it the historical appeal, or simply shooting/competing/self defense? I wouldn't push a high dollar 1911 on a new shooter; they may decide it isn't for them. If the historical GI look is desired, I would look for a Springfield Defender or possibly a Rock Island GI. If they are more interested in enjoying shooting the gun, I would steer them towards something with a beavertail grip safety and better-than-GI sights. I took that path 12 years ago with a Kimber Custom II, and have not regretted it. Other great options would include a Springfield Loaded, Range Officer, Ruger, or maybe a Fusion Freedom. Let them grow into that gun, shoot the snot out of it, and decide what they like. Then go for a big dog; I've seen some amazing deals on lightly used Baers, Wilsons, and Dan Wessons over the years.

One exception. If they are single, and think they might get married in the next several years, then get the expensive toys early. They do NOT get easier to buy post-wedding!