If you were buying your first 1911

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
Knowing everything I know now I'd buy a Baer and save myself a lot of trial and error and buying and selling. If I wasn't in a position to drop that kind of cash I'd be looking at the new Colts. The series 70 repro is a nice gun with classic lines. The Competition models are great guns for the money if you're a shooter and it'll double as a carry gun. For a little more money the Wiley Clapp models are well equipped and ready for carry out of the box. And, of course, Colts hold their value.

easy10

Fanatic
Its like potato chips, you can't have just one. Start with a low end model and take it apart. Hard to go wrong on any 1911 but I caution about hammer bite on GI models and not a fan of series 80 firing pin safety. Ah, don't take the sear and disconnector out at first.

Last edited:

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
"Starting from scratch" as in knowing now what I didn't then?
Yes indeed! I'm going down the path of looking for my first 1911, which brought me to this forum. I thought, why not ask those with the first hand knowledge what approach they'd take now given all they've learned.

I do want one I can take to the range regularly and not feel bad about killing any long-term collectibility, but at the same time, I want it to be something I give to my son one day and aside from the sentimental value, he could say, "damn, this is a nice gun."

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I would buy a high end semi custom (your dream gun) first time out. Like most of us, I started out buying mid range (approx. $1,000.00) 1911s. At some point I found myself with 12 to 15 mid range 1911s. I was fortunate enough to trade into some pretty nice used Semi customs with the inventory I collected. But I think I wasted a lot of time & $. In hind sight, I wish I would have purchased my dream gun first. JMHO.

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
If by "tinker" you mean alter the parts in an attempt to 'improve' performance, this is not something I see myself doing.

I'm pretty much an "OEM" kinda guy.

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
Give us a price range, budget for first one. If price doesn't matter, I would buy WC, EB, Nighthawk, along those lines.

I am living in a low $1000's budget realm. Not ready for a Ferrari, but would like a nicely equipped Corvette.

I'm leaning to .45 ACP. A couple that have caught my eye that I am rather interested in at the local shop include:

DW Valor - stainless (used)
Colt Gold Cup '80 National Match (used)
Colt Commander 100 years of service (used)
Sig Sauer Model 1911 Sig Sauer (used)
Springfield Armory Model 1911-A1 (used)
Springfield Range Officer (used)

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
If by "tinker" you mean alter the parts in an attempt to 'improve' performance, this is not something I see myself doing.

I'm pretty much an "OEM" kinda guy.
There's a lot of things that fit the "tinker" category that you can do to make a gun "yours" that shouldn't scare off anyone. Grips, sights, addition of magwell, which mags, which holsters, which ammo...

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
The resale market for used 1911's is pretty soft these days. In your $1K price range, I would keep your eyes open for a Springfield Armory TRP. Well built & reliable pistol...

I see there is a nice TRP in Stainless at the shop for the same price as the Valor. Hmmmm.

I've had the itch for a while & was contemplating another striker gun but thought I should branch out into something different.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes indeed! I'm going down the path of looking for my first 1911, which brought me to this forum. I thought, why not ask those with the first hand knowledge what approach they'd take now given all they've learned.

I do want one I can take to the range regularly and not feel bad about killing any long-term collectibility, but at the same time, I want it to be something I give to my son one day and aside from the sentimental value, he could say, "damn, this is a nice gun."

Given knowing what I know now,I'd jump straight to a semi custom or full custom build.