How am I bending ejectors on Colt 9mm 1911s?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, the first time I blamed it on the "taller" Wilson ETM mags that actually touch the long dangly ejector on a Colt 9mm. It was a Colt Competition, which is exactly what I did with it the short time I had it, which included slamming mags in on the clock. Colt replaced the ejector under warranty with a slightly relieved ejector for 38 Super.

I sold that gun. I bought a Colt Combat Unit in 9mm yesterday that already has about 500 rounds through it. Ejector was straight as an arrow when I bought it yesterday.

Took it to the range and wasn't even doing my timed reload/mag changes (with gusto) like I usually do in my drills because it was so muddy I didn't want to drop the mags. Gun ran beautifully the first box of ammo.

I was running Dawson mags (Metalforms) that run great in my Fusion and a Dan Wesson I recently sold. These mags are a wee bit shorter than Wilson ETMs and don't contact the Colt ejector. After about 100 rounds the Colt started ejecting like it was popping popcorn all over the place. I unloaded and peeked at the ejector. Slightly bent.

I'm running quality brass case factory FMJ, 124 grain ammo.

WTH??
Any help appreciated.
I'll be calling Colt next week.

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Hard to see, but it's not straight anymore. The last one I bent worse than this, but like I said, the Wilson mags actually came in contact with it. The Dawsons don't, and I started with a straight ejector today, and wasn't "slamming" mags as is my usual habit on the clock and in drills, so how did it get bent?

IMG_1703.JPG

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
1. Your ejector is WAY too long.

2. You mag is likely hitting the bottom of the ejector causing it to bend.
That's how Colt builds them. It's the second 9mm of theirs I've owned, and bent. All the Colt Competitions in 9 look like that, too. (long, that is) The last one they replaced under warranty with the ejector for 38 super. I'm sending this one back next week.

Metalforms are not hitting the ejector best I can tell, but the Wilsons definitely did. The Metalforms are shorter than the Wilsons. I thought changing mags would resolve the issue. The loaded rounds do hit the ejector though.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing I failed to mention, in addition to running the "shorter" mags that visibly have about 1/16 of clearance from the bottom of the ejector when pressed up tight into the frame, I was also running only partially loaded mags yesterday when this occurred. Maybe 4-6 rounds loaded per mag on every mag. And yet it appears the top round in each mag would contact the ejector and still bent it, even with flex still left in the partially loaded mag springs. This gun is two years old, although I just bought it two days ago. Built the same time my Colt Competition was built that I also bent.

Maybe Colt has had some epiphany in the past two years and can resolve this issue. One can hope.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Just because Colt builds them that way doesnt make it right.

I don't disagree at all. I was just pointing out it's Colt's design and not something that was altered from stock. I've compared ejectors on various makers of 9mm 1911's and they all seem to be somewhat different, at least the production 9mms I could compare in a gun store like Springer, Colt, Wesson, Kimber... But Colt's is by far the longest. And they didn't just start doing this, so I am perplexed.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Wasnt busting on you or Colt....just stating an opinion.
It is perplexing. Would suspect Colt is trying to get good ejection with even the weakest of loads. Some people just dont believe in buying quality ammo

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Same. I learn a lot from you guys.

I will say that when I sent my 9mm Competition back due to bad ejection, Colt either shortened the ejector or replaced it with a shorter one. Perfect since then.
They probably put an ejector for a 38 super in it. That's what they did to a Colt Competition 9mm that I also bent, but I blamed the taller Wilson mags at the time. Amp (you met at Deep River) has that gun now and says it runs like a sewing machine since he got it back from Colt.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Colt customer service opens at 9AM.
I just called at 9:30AM and customer service is "out of the office and not accepting messages".

Off to galloping start.
Guess I'll drink some more coffee, get a haircut, and call back.

** 10:45AM and they aren't even answering at their corporate offices. Must be some holiday I don't know about.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Colt customer service opens at 9AM.
I just called at 9:30AM and customer service is "out of the office and not accepting messages".

Off to galloping start.
Guess I'll drink some more coffee, get a haircut, and call back.

** 10:45AM and they aren't even answering at their corporate offices. Must be some holiday I don't know about.
Might be a snow day .

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
FWIW............Both my early model (70's) Colts have long ejectors. One is a Govt. model the other is a Commander.
I broke the Govt. model ejector years ago using Colt mags. After replacement with an equally long ejector, I started using Cobra Mags (Tripp) and haven't had a problem since, with either. YMMV.

TR