Home Protection

Feegee

The Magic Man
How many people have a loaded gun in every room of your home?? I have one in the couch Cushion where I sit and watch tv. Got the shotty by the bed, snubby in the kitchen drawer. Am I going overboard ?? Just want everyone else's input.

(null)

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have guns on display everywhere I go. If I were to put my hands in my pockets, then I would be concealing a deadly weapon.

I'm so full of ****, I don't even believe what I say anymore lol :)

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I keep my pistol with me anywhere I go in the house during the day, and the AR by the bed and pistol on the night stand when I go to bed. I don't want any guns anywhere in the house but beside me when I go to bed.

dennishoddy

Living in the country where the only response to a home invasion or theft, is going to be me. I have to consider any scenerio. Guns are kept where they can be used, and I'm never without my concealed carry in the WB or the pocket gun. NEVER.
We have night lights throughout the house that will shadow anybody hiding behind furniture, and motion lights around the perimiter of the house to detect movement. Yeah, in a deep sleep we won't see these, but it may back somebody off.
Other scenerios are private.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've just got my little G23 that seems to follow me like a lost puppy but for the most part I don't have one on my all the time. For the most part I still think that people are for the most part good and I live in a pretty good neighborhood I just hope I'm not proved wrong one of these days! the last thing I want to do is use my pistol on someone BUT if it comes to me or them well let's just say I don't want to be them. Later,

Kirk

TroyF

TheBearcat
I believe that home invasions are becoming more common than people realize. Often what is reported as a home invasion is one doper going after another doper's stash. lthe flip side of that is alot of home that are targeted are because the homeowners are elderly. Id even say that some homes are more inviting. We seem to pure a lot of attention of firearms in the home, so let me throw these items out there....

Your home is your castle, so lets treat it as such. Take a look at your home from the outside.....
Keep all of the bushes around windows trimmed up. This makes it more difficult for bad guy to access windows undetected.
Check your mail often. Don't let mail build up in your mailbox. That tells BG that you aren't home. Same for newspapers on the porch or driveway.
A sticker near the doors indicating the home has an alarmed and is monitored. Whether its true or not.
Make sure all of your outside lights are working. Motion activated lighting near the front and back door is a plus.
Beef up your door locks, and use them. Dead bolts are the obvious choice, and I like the swinging arm lock used by hotels/motels. Redundancy is good when it's comes to locks. Also consider the old cut down broom handle to wedge in the tracks of sliding glass doors.
Beside the bed....flashlight, firearm, and phone. Something to consider is put a landline phone there that you can assign keys for speed dial. And set every key to 911.

Food for thought.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
Continuing Troy’s thought, I’d like to offer some thoughts from the aircraft owner community.

1. Make your security obvious. Outside motion detector lights can be a pain in the fourth point of contact, but they have proven effective in making someone go down the street. Don’t suddenly close all of your drapes when you leave town to go to the “big city” as it is “different”. I keep my drapes closed all of the time, even when it is nice outside.

2. Make your house more difficult than your neighbors. By and large, criminals are not stupid and they really don’t want to be caught. If your house looks harder to break into, they will look for something that at least looks easier. You can purchase alarm company signs on the internet to post in your front yard as another “indicator” of your home defenses.

3. If possible, park your vehicles where they are concealed to lessen the “I’m obviously not home” foot print.

4. Troy’s broomstick in the sliding glass door rail is nice, but there are bars that cross the glass area, usually hinged on one side, that are very visible and help with #2 above.

5. Keep your grass cut as well as keeping the hedges cut back. Consider hiring the kid in the neighborhood that cuts grass to cut yours on a regular basis, even if you are not home.

6. Play “how would you get in?” with some of your Tacti-cool buddies. Pay particular attention to rear and side entry capabilities.

7. Restrict the obvious indicators of criminal value such as large NRA stickers that indicate you have something valuable, such as guns, inside.

8. Be friendly with your neighbors, particularly the ones who are home bound for long periods, such as retiree and stay-at-home mothers. They are another set of eyes on your property.

I’m sure that there are many more specific to houses, but these are just quick rewrites of what aircraft owners have been doing for years.

Also remember that your precautions are what we used to call METT-T* dependent. In this case, that means that your requirements, choices, and solutions for your stand alone house are much different than the ones for my townhouse. In some cases, mine are easier as there are no side entrances, more neighbors to watch my place, etc. but I pay for that with other restrictions.

Food for thought.

Don

METT-T â€" Mission, Equipment, Troops, Time, Tactics.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been renting a house for a month or so in a not so good area of OKC because all the apartments we found wouldnt accept my 85lb german shepard. A couple nights ago my wife woke up and looked out the bathroom window and there was a truck on fire in the street beside our house. Disconcerting to say the least. Security is , every lock is utilized. I have a habit of carrying my little J frame around the house, and if im working on a gun or cleaning, I have another loaded near enough to get to without having to traverse the room. The biggest problem I see in some peoples ideas is leaving a gun in a room. what if you arent in that room. What do you do? Well putting a gun in every room, not always practical, but I do think, as troy mentioned, most people underestimate the possibility of this type of thing happening and fail to train or prepare. Thats the number one way to ensure that if this does happen, you ARE the victim, not the defender. The military drills it into you, Fail to train, Train to fail...

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
A dog that barks when it knows something isn't right.

I have an Australian Shepherd that goes to the door and growls when she hears someone pull up within 4 houses of me. When someone walks up to the house she lets them know that they are not welcome before they even get a chance to knock or ring the door bell.

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
Unless you are positive you will never have any invited guests visiting in your home, then stashing guns around is a bad idea. Weapons should be either under your actual physical control or locked away.
Troy gave some excellent advice on improving security. Think about security in layers; the further out you can stop an intruder the safer you become.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
A dog that barks when it knows something isn't right.

I have an Australian Shepherd .

+1 on the dog(s). I have three Aussies that have higher IQs than any idiot that might try to break into my house. If someone slows down in front of my drive, I know about it. If someone actually turns into my drive, the neighbor half mile away knows about it.

G26 is on my person, G19 is in the nightstand, shotty is in the closest and junker 22 mag is in the barn.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I def think dogs are a great tool and friend for you, my german shepard is the same way with uninvited guests and unless we calm him he wont stop.Just keeping mind that if something happens and you dog goes for said intruder, you know have to deal with your hesitation to shoot and the fact that your dog might become collateral damage. I think a dog is more of a prevention measure unless it is strictly trained and ready for situations like that.

dennishoddy

Make sure you keep the garden shed locked. Thieves can get a ladder, and access an upstairs window, if you live in a two story house or apartment.
The garden shed also provides the thief with tools to break in.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been renting a house for a month or so in a not so good area of OKC
If you rent a house, please find out who all has keys to your house. Years ago, I was the victim of a home invasion. I don't want to go into details, but it was not a good thing. After it was all over, the FBI found over 20 people that had keys to my house. The land lord would give a key here and there over years. After that, I would never rent a house unless the land lord would agree that I could change all the locks, and have the only keys.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
If you rent a house, please find out who all has keys to your house. Years ago, I was the victim of a home invasion. I don't want to go into details, but it was not a good thing. After it was all over, the FBI found over 20 people that had keys to my house. The land lord would give a key here and there over years. After that, I would never rent a house unless the land lord would agree that I could change all the locks, and have the only keys.
I replaced the locks to the house when I moved in, I thought about that. I have one, my wife has one and the landlord has one. Unless hes making copies and handed em out at raffles I should be good.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I replaced the locks to the house when I moved in, I thought about that. I have one, my wife has one and the landlord has one. Unless hes making copies and handed em out at raffles I should be good.
I had never thought about it, until that happened to me. I would hate to see it happen to someone else. It is the reason I keep a gun by me in the house now.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I have an Australian Shepherd
I have three Aussies

I love my (3) Australian Shepherds and, yes, they know when something outside is "not right" They know the difference in the normal country sounds and a sound that is not supposed to be there.

Regarding locks, I recently changed the locks on the french doors to the patio to keyed locks (inside) instead of the ones you just lock with a knob. Keep the key close but not IN the lock.

I don't have a gun in every room but I keep my gun on my person until I go to bed. Then I have a shotgun next to the bed. When I get up, my gun goes on my belt.

I do have one in my briefcase at all times as well. Not sure why, maybe I need to re-think that one.

Latest posts