Home Protection

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Chain breifcase to wrist with handcuff....Problem solved...you're welcome.

I get antsy with off body carry too. Most woman I know cannot find a purse... I have left jackets, tool boxes and work bags before... never with a gun in it... but I could see loosing a gun as a real possibility.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I get antsy with off body carry too. Most woman I know cannot find a purse... I have left jackets, tool boxes and work bags before... never with a gun in it... but I could see loosing a gun as a real possibility.

That is also why I have concerns about carrying a gun in a coat pocket, you can't take it off when you go inside (restaurant, someones house , etc)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Why can't you take it off?

if you shed your coat, man bag, purse etc ... and walk off... whatever is in there is fair game to whoever picks it up. Lose an over coat... your out $150 bucks...leave an SW Airweight in the pocket... your out a pistol. Not everyone wears their winter coat inside all the time ('cept in OK...you natives are cold all the time)

Wife leaves a purse on the foor at the cousins house...little kid gets into purse and pulls a gun out... maybe shoots somebody or them selfs.

A few years ago a cop got home after midnights... fell asleep on the couch. He placed his gun under the couch and... his little boy found it. Kid shot himself playing with the found gun.

MHO... guns need direct control or lock em up

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with you jeff, those situations dictate a more safety concious mindset. My question is, where do we draw the line between accesibility and safety. If theres an issue that requires immediate action, you dont want to be caught, adrenaline pumping, trying to remember the combo to you safe. Or fumbling with a cable lock. Of course each situation dictates the level of safety, ie-kids in the house, level of traffic in that area of the house, I keep thinking that in order to really be ready a hideaway spot, like a picture covering a hollow spot or hidden wall cubbies would be a great comprimise.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I agree Jeff. But if somebody is going to take the responsibility to carry concealed, they need to be responsible enough to not just walk off and leave their firearm in a coat or bag, to not have them accessible to children or guests in the house (invited or otherwise), to understand the risks and consequences of concealed carry and the unwritten responsibility there of. If somebody makes a mistake in any of these areas, they need to have a serious rethink if they are mentally and physically capable of carry concealed and if they pose more danger to themselves and others than if they only had pepper spray and a cell phone instead of a firearm. If they have went through the SDA class, then they have a right to carry, it's up to them and them alone to decide if they are truly capable at that point.

Sorry this got outside of 'home defense' but maybe the same applies outside the home just as well as inside. I am not for guns in every room. Some may feel safer and that's their decision. I want complete and total control of every weapon inside my home and on my property, albeit in the safe, by my side on the couch cushion, or on my person. If someone else is in control of a firearm on my property or in my home and they're not supposed to be, I have failed. I have not only failed myself but I have failed my wife. If somebody is in my home uninvited and they gain access to my firearms, again I have failed. I'd rather not give them a chance in hell to shoot me with my own weapon. Same goes if I'm out on the town.

Right or wrong, tacticool or pussified, this is how I feel and how I live.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I agree with BOTH of you. My comment about a coat was just to clarify why I don't like to carry in my coat pocket. Because, I want to be able to control it at all times.

This thread had also given me pause as to carrying my snubbie in my briefcase. I was all over my office today and my briefcase (with gun) was sitting on the floor next to my desk, NOT COOL. I will change that tomorrow.

dennishoddy

Duh :D

Actually I'm sure that the OP, and others say they have guns in every room, don't just have an 870 leaning against every corner, as it would be a disaster if an intruder came in and found it.
Not in every room, but the rooms I have guns in are totally concealed, and would require an intense search by an intruder to find.
Again, I live in the sticks, and don't have anybody to rely on for home protection. The nearest LEO, other than a possible Sherriff deputy in the area is 15 minutes away.
Thats a lifetime in a home invasion.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
The nearest LEO, other than a possible Sherriff deputy in the area is 15 minutes away.
Thats a lifetime in a home invasion.

yep, and a long time to sit in your house with a dead body lying in your kitchen or hallway...just saying...bloods hard to get out of the carpet...

dennishoddy

Hopefully its their blood and not ours. We have had a home burgulary once, but we were away on vacation. It was 7 years ago, and we still feel violated. My wife has yet to get over it.

Latest posts