Hi, Everyone

RetDet

Fanatic
My name is Fred, and I'm a retired Detective from Salinas Police Department, Salinas, CA. I spent seven years in patrol there, then spent 19 more in investigations, most of that in Vice/Narcotics. I've been a shooter since age five, and taught small arms for my department, the Monterey County Peace Officers' Association, the State of California Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement (RIP), the State of CA DOJ, and Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (as a volunteer). Finally, I attended Gunsite twice when Jeff Cooper still was alive, and took my shotgun training from Clint Smith.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome aboard from east Missouri! I grew up in the Bay Area. Salinas was always considered a tough area with gang activity. Much thanks for your service, Sir!

A3CC89BB-391E-404B-A953-49C2B200634D.jpeg

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome RetDet. Salinas,, You must watch Live PD...
Nick from SE MI

Max

Fanatic
My name is Fred, and I'm a retired Detective from Salinas Police Department, Salinas, CA. I spent seven years in patrol there, then spent 19 more in investigations, most of that in Vice/Narcotics. I've been a shooter since age five, and taught small arms for my department, the Monterey County Peace Officers' Association, the State of California Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement (RIP), the State of CA DOJ, and Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (as a volunteer). Finally, I attended Gunsite twice when Jeff Cooper still was alive, and took my shotgun training from Clint Smith.
Fred: I grew up in Salinas well before you joined the PD. 25 years in Army CID and now 20+ years in one of those 3 letter agencies most folks never heard of. Grandfather was a LT in the Monterey County Sheriff's Office and both parents worked corrections. Doomed to be a cop. Never formally trained at any of the firearms academies but spent hundreds of hours on the range. Now retiring from all work and curating my Colt collection and other fine firearms. Waiting for ranges to open here in VA. I'm sure you saw lots of changes in Salinas over your career.

RetDet

Fanatic
Welcome RetDet. Salinas,, You must watch Live PD...
Nick from SE MI
Fred: I grew up in Salinas well before you joined the PD. 25 years in Army CID and now 20+ years in one of those 3 letter agencies most folks never heard of. Grandfather was a LT in the Monterey County Sheriff's Office and both parents worked corrections. Doomed to be a cop. Never formally trained at any of the firearms academies but spent hundreds of hours on the range. Now retiring from all work and curating my Colt collection and other fine firearms. Waiting for ranges to open here in VA. I'm sure you saw lots of changes in Salinas over your career.
I did indeed watch Salinas change. It went from being a rowdy sort of cow town to the home of the NF. It's been an active gang town ever since. The high point for murder (as opposed to homicide, which is not always illegal) was 40 in a year, for 160,000 people and got Salinas onto lists of most dangerous cities in the country. Depending on when your grandfather worked at MCSO, I may have known him. I enjoyed the schools I to which I was sent, but I sent myself to Gunsite and through Clint's stuff. I loved it all, and I really enjoyed teaching. I was stationed at Fort Ord, CA, with the 54th MP Company from late 1969 to late 1972. My father, former CIC and MI, was at the Directorate of Security, AKA DSEC.

RetDet

Fanatic
Nick, it was strange seeing my PD on that program. Prior to that, Salinas had not been cooperative with such programs. But it did point out how violent Salinas had become. Live PD does not go to Mayberry to watch Andy Griffith play at being a cop.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the site, Ret. Det., from SE Mich..& thank you for your service.
I used to love San Diego, there from '72 -'87, (courtesy of USN) getting me there ('72-'76)
Went to school after USN (SDSU) got licensed for my profession & worked in the area till '87.
It was such a nice small town, up until the early 80's..when everyone started moving there.
Went back in '98 & decided I didn't want to visit anymore..too crowded
Did you stay in Cal. after retiring ? With the current political climate, + the crime,
I'd be a hard place to stay, IMO

Snowman45

Fanatic

Welcome, Fred. I'm a retired Lt. from the Tulare Police Department after 37 years of duty. Former firearms instructor and SWAT. Salina is a tough town. Congratulations your retirement.

RetDet

Fanatic
Welcome aboard from east Missouri! I grew up in the Bay Area. Salinas was always considered a tough area with gang activity. Much thanks for your service, Sir!

View attachment 6291
Salinas can be a very rough city. It's gang infested, containing both Nortenos and Surrenos who are jammed close together and often live on the same block.
Welcome to the site, Ret. Det., from SE Mich..& thank you for your service.
I used to love San Diego, there from '72 -'87, (courtesy of USN) getting me there ('72-'76)
Went to school after USN (SDSU) got licensed for my profession & worked in the area till '87.
It was such a nice small town, up until the early 80's..when everyone started moving there.
Went back in '98 & decided I didn't want to visit anymore..too crowded
Did you stay in Cal. after retiring ? With the current political climate, + the crime,
I'd be a hard place to stay, IMO
I retired on November 5, 1998 and was in Las Vegas on November 6!

Snowman45

Fanatic
Took me a little longer to escape the PRK. I retired in 2014 and got to Arizona in February or 2019.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
With the way the Govt. in Calif. has been doing things, I'd think those who could get out of Ca.
would leave asap.. congrats 2 both Snowman45 & Retdet for getting away