Help me justify TRP

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I've had my TRP for several years. It's always been reliable....and with a wide range of magazines & bullets.

The sights on it are dim and will be replaced with gold bead front and ledge rear. An expected need.

The trigger isn't on par with the DW 1911's in it's price range.

The 2pc guide rod is a pain in the rear.

The "TACTICAL" stamp on the frame is an eyesore.

The 20lpi checkering instantly became my gold standard for future guns. It is excellent.

If I were doing this all over again.....I'd take the funds I put into this gun and call Crazy John at 1911 Heaven and apply them towards one of his in stock Les Baers.

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
If it is a used gun from an individual then I say do it, supposed to be an xlnt 1911. If it's a new gun then I'd say find someone else to give your money to. Yes, I'm sorry, but I tend to never forget and I do not forgive.

Mohel Knives

Active Fanatic
I own a few Springers but not a TRP. I will eventually get one to add to my collection. My buddies who own them swear by them.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
lot of factors to consider...
Arer you wanting to add another 1911 to your collection ?
Or are you looking for more features / better accuracy than the 1911's you already have ?

The TRP , as it's sort of a S/A custom model, may appreciate more than other 1911's , if that's important to you (as an investment)
Might find a used one for a fair price, as ammo prices stopped a lot of gun usage & resulted in some to sell off their collections.
If you only want more features / better accuracy from a 1911, modding one of your currently owned pistols may be a better option.

I have owned Colts & Springfield 1911's... I too have had more issues with Colts than S/A 1911's.

My Opinion.. Colts do retain their value well, if they're good pistols or not. Look @ crazy prices for Pythons, and their lesser pistols.
Way overpriced IMO for their quality. That said, I've got a Combat Commander 45 that is equal to my DW CBOB, (also in 45)
Thought of selling one, as they're so similar- performance wise..but still have both.

I have had a couple of S/A 1911's worked over , an early 80's S/A GI model ..hard chrome finish, sights, trigger all done by Terry Tussey.
had this done back in the early 80's, as Stainless pistols were scarce, 'cept for those AMT 1911's. A few yrs. ago, had Doug Jones fit the barrel
on my S/A, & it tightened groups nicely.

My S/A loaded Target( 9mm) had top of slide machined flat, front strap checkered and some other stuff by Doug Jones. These 2 1911's are probably my most accurate 1911's..and are favorite shooters. Funny , I haven't modded my Colt 1911's beyond sights, & trigger work..but I rarely shoot Colts.
Except for my Combat Commanber...it's a shooter
If you WANT a TRP , can find one and afford it, why not??

Last edited:

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I will never buy a Springfield 1911 ever again. I have had too many bad guns from them. Obviously, if you want it, get it. But, as mentioned, a Colt will be a better value overall. We're only talking a few hundred dollars, which is nearly irrelevant in the long run. If this amount is significant for you, then you are poor and need to start dollar cost averaging money into an index fund like the S&P and buy BitCoin and Ethereum (and hold them no matter what).

Mike Sherman

Fanatic
I already have 2 Springers in my stable that I'm happy with. A 9mm Stainless Target and a 45 MC Operator. Would a 45 Stainless TRP be a worthwhile addition. Or just go for something higher end? I apologize now for asking this on a 1911 forum. But I'd like to hear your opinions on the TRP. Espessuly on our forum.
I shot a TRP years ago and found the front checkering to be too aggressive for me. I would need to wear a glove.

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
I've had my stainless 45 TRP for years, shot thousands of rounds and think it's a great gun. I shot bowling pin matches with it (and won a few). Very accurate and 100% reliable with both factory & my hand loads. I also really like the 20 lpi checkering...keeps the gun from moving around in a sweaty hand!

cjsolar1

Fanatic
I already have 2 Springers in my stable that I'm happy with. A 9mm Stainless Target and a 45 MC Operator. Would a 45 Stainless TRP be a worthwhile addition. Or just go for something higher end? I apologize now for asking this on a 1911 forum. But I'd like to hear your opinions on the TRP. Espessuly on our forum.
You need no justification. If you like it and can afford it, buy it. If it pleases you that is all that matters.

cjsolar1

Fanatic
If you like it and can afford it, buy it. You don't need any justification. If it pleases you, that is all that matters.

Dogrocket

Fanatic
I have the TRP in 10mm and I can say that it shoots as good as my Colt Delta Elite. Go with the TRP in 10mm. You won't be disappointed.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
TRP is a nice 1911. It was the FBI SWAT weapon, I don't know if they still use it now though. I've shot them. they have nice triggers out of the box. I have wanted one for awhile and am building up reserve funds to finally make a purchase. You won't be disappointed. Also since when do you ever have enough ? lol.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
TRP is a nice 1911. It was the FBI SWAT weapon, I don't know if they still use it now though. I've shot them. they have nice triggers out of the box. I have wanted one for awhile and am building up reserve funds to finally make a purchase. You won't be disappointed. Also since when do you ever have enough ? lol.

Where did you hear that it was the FBI SWAT weapon ?

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Never owned a TRP bu have an RO decked out for IDPA, fiber optic sights, magwell that kind of stuff, very nice 1911, no complaints, I've read only good things about the TRP, more reasonable than NH or Wilson, if that's what you want I'd go for it, life is short. Springfield did something few years back, honestly don't remember what it was but got the 2a community really upset, sorry can't remember the details

Tall Paul

Fanatic
I am wanting one too. I have 4 staccatos (three double stacks, and one single) 9mm. I am wanting a good representative of a .45acp. The research I have done shows the TRP is that gun without the price tag. On YouTube Rob Lathem said one year his competition gun was not back in time for the season. He went to Springfield and got a TRP. He competed with that gun right out of the box and won the matches before his competition gun arrived.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The great thing about the 1911 is there are so many to choose from. get what you want and b n if doesn't work, get another one.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
No 1911 Colt's in my Gulag(California). Had 3, sold them. Combat Elite, Officer's mod & Mustang. Wish I kept the Com. Elite. The other two will never miss.
I'm in Kali too. I bought my Stainless Steel Colt in Jan 2016, when they dropped most models in CA, cause of our idiot DOJ requirements, and Colt's money problems. Went to Turners in Orange for the 5 inch on sale, sold out, so I bought the Colt Commander, on sale too, to clear their inventory before CA cut-off date. I have never regretted that decision!!!
All SS is beautiful to the eye of this beholder! You're in a terrible predicament. And We All feel your pain!
How about looking at all SS Dan Wesson California Bobbed Commander?
A tad more than Colt was, but under $2K and smooth racking!
Best wishes.

aegiswa

Fanatic
I'd say the TRP is above the loaded models for fit and finish, not quite to the Custom Shop level - I have a couple of TRPs (SS and Full Rail) and I think they were the money spent, I have a CRG Professional as well and as far as accuracy they all shoot better than I can ... I will admit I have gone through the SS TRP and replace the MIM with Wilson parts as well as Polishing - Full Rail TRP Operator is bone stock -

IMG_1916.JPEGXX_TRP_FR05.jpg

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It was an article reviewing the TRP. I can't remember who wrote the article but it was an in depth review of the TRP. This was about 3 years ago.

I believe the Professional model is what won the FBI contract.

The TRP was marketed to folks who wanted something similar but didn't want to wait for a Pro. In all fairness.....it likely achieves what most shooters like.

Again....not a bad gun at all. My sample size of one has been 100% reliable and is accurate. It simply needs some engine work under the hood & different sights to be super.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm in the same position. I have no experience with the TRP. It appears to be a good choice. SA makes good American made 1911's.

Have you ever thought about building one yourself? It's a lot of fun.

Hi
My mistake. I read too far into it. Some people have a bad taste on Springers. Why? I do not. I've had worst luck with Colt's on that issue. But that's just my experiences. I might just grab another LB is the wind blows in that direction. Throw the dice.
I had one of the original TRP's without the front serrations. I've been trying to fine one just like it to replace it. Great shooter, and I wish I'd never gotten rid of it. One of those damn it why'd I'd do that? Things. We've all had them. I think you would enjoy it if you bought one. Reason I want an old one? I do not like front slide serrations.