Hello from IL

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
1911s are ok…
Do you have any Carbon steel 1911s?
My oldest Pony her name is Betsey born in 1917. Out of 9 Colts I don't have any stainless 1911s. Yours are very pretty however. ;)

1660479618137.png

Last edited:

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you have any Carbon steel 1911s?
My oldest Pony her name is Betsey born in 1917. Out of 9 Colts I don't have any stainless 1911s. Yours are very pretty however. ;)

View attachment 27856
I did but last November I sold all but the two MetroArms hard chrome. Those are carbon steel but I get that isn't what you are really asking. All but those two 1911s from my previous collection were sold off at auction and I started rebuilding my collection in March of this year.

My justification was that I am never going to buy a vintage piece like yours. While I dig the authenticity, the nostalgia of a modern one is enough for me. Second, if I want a black gun, I have a lot of polymer running around. Last, maintenance is a lot lower on these. I don't buy them because I'm out to be the next Rambo. I buy them because I appreciate the artwork in the 1911, so they might as well be pretty. Stainless is a better option than nickel because it'll never peel and refinishing stainless is pretty straight forward.

Case in point, here is a before pic of a Kimber Stainless II. It's not a pretty gun. It's a dull matte stainless.

5ED113D9-04F4-4048-B146-C0395A7B5BCD.jpeg

This is a pair of Kimber Stainless II's after I refinished them, sitting next to a Kimber Rapide.

D5BB1052-E934-4448-B5DE-6E8D683E4E00.jpeg

This is the finished product after replacing the plastic main spring housings with stainless ones with magwells.

3D9777B3-1AFC-4847-9A39-1C9D18BC790F.jpeg

Will I ever own another parkerized 1911? I have no plans on it. I may buy some blued at some point but the collection is young yet. I do have a few blued and color case hardened revolvers among all the stainless.
232F7560-D4AE-490A-BC41-833992B4E77C.jpeg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I did but last November I sold all but the two MetroArms hard chrome. Those are carbon steel but I get that isn't what you are really asking. All but those two 1911s from my previous collection were sold off at auction and I started rebuilding my collection in March of this year.

My justification was that I am never going to buy a vintage piece like yours. While I dig the authenticity, the nostalgia of a modern one is enough for me. Second, if I want a black gun, I have a lot of polymer running around. Last, maintenance is a lot lower on these. I don't buy them because I'm out to be the next Rambo. I buy them because I appreciate the artwork in the 1911, so they might as well be pretty. Stainless is a better option than nickel because it'll never peel and refinishing stainless is pretty straight forward.

Case in point, here is a before pic of a Kimber Stainless II. It's not a pretty gun. It's a dull matte stainless.

View attachment 27860

This is a pair of Kimber Stainless II's after I refinished them, sitting next to a Kimber Rapide.

View attachment 27864

This is the finished product after replacing the plastic main spring housings with stainless ones with magwells.

View attachment 27865

Will I ever own another parkerized 1911? I have no plans on it. I may buy some blued at some point but the collection is young yet. I do have a few blued and color case hardened revolvers among all the stainless.
View attachment 27866
WOW!!!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

View attachment 27860

View attachment 27864

View attachment 27865

View attachment 27866

The question must then be. Do you shoot your guns ,or collect them?

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't collect them, I just close the safe, and they multiply. lol
Same. Someone once told me to leave the light on in the safe or they would multiply. I've since had to upgrade to a vault.
6FC5327E-B788-419F-892A-D508720E78AD.jpeg

I have at least another dozen that need to go in here. It's still a work in progress. My ammo now goes in the safes.

I just got my lights figured out in there.
84129887-F493-42EC-8401-CEAEFFD45EFF.jpeg

Latest posts