Hello folks

Jack1911

Fanatic
Hello, I have been learning about guns and doing some shooting over the last few years.
Here is a short list of what is in the safe...

Henry 45-70
Benelli Monfeltro 12
Springfield Operator (the new model) .45
Beretta 92x performance 9mm
Walther ppk/s .380

Maybe an mp5 or ar-15 but probably not both.
... probably going to be adding to this list. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I like the classic designs that have a lot of utility. I am also a sucker for steel frames... :)

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hello, I have been learning about guns and doing some shooting over the last few years.

Henry 45-70
Benelli Monfeltro 12
Walther ppk/s .380

... probably going to be adding to this list. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I like the classic designs that have a lot of utility. I am also a sucker for steel frames... :)
Welcome from Eastern NC.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the site..& greeting s from S.E. Mi.
I'd suggest you add an AR-15 to your collection, for several reasons...

1) do it now, a while you can, they're still legal / available
2) there are so many brands on the market, prices are @ historic lows.. you can buy a new, serviceable rifle for $ 500 @ present.
3) I choose an AR because they're very accurate, well beyond their price point. They shoot low cost ammo, and are very "adjustable"..
4. A varied selection of ammo, with different bullet weights, is available, all relatively soft recoiling- making them easy to shoot accurately.
5.there are many readily available accessories for AR's at all price points, from a huge variety of manufacturers. more accessories for them than there are for Harleys..LOL
6. Very easy to work on / modify, even if you've never done gun mods before. Youtube is full of helpful how to posts.
I could go on, but hope I've made my point.

Jack1911

Fanatic
Welcome to the site..& greeting s from S.E. Mi.
I'd suggest you add an AR-15 to your collection, for several reasons...

1) do it now, a while you can, they're still legal / available
2) there are so many brands on the market, prices are @ historic lows.. you can buy a new, serviceable rifle for $ 500 @ present.
3) I choose an AR because they're very accurate, well beyond their price point. They shoot low cost ammo, and are very "adjustable"..
4. A varied selection of ammo, with different bullet weights, is available, all relatively soft recoiling- making them easy to shoot accurately.
5.there are many readily available accessories for AR's at all price points, from a huge variety of manufacturers. more accessories for them than there are for Harleys..LOL
6. Very easy to work on / modify, even if you've never done gun mods before. Youtube is full of helpful how to posts.
I could go on, but hope I've made my point.
I like em, I just don't know where to start. You make good points and I would agree. The issue that I have had is model and brand. I just don't have any experience with them and don't know any better than the YouTube reviews.
I know Daniel defense is a good brand but other than that, there is a lot of options to choose from and they all sound pretty much the same. What are the things I should be looking for? I was also thinking about an ar-10, pros? Cons?

TxRooster

New Fanatic
As for an AR-10, ask yourself what your intended primary and secondary uses would be, hunting, defense/tactical, plinking. Spec it as you need it, long bbl, short bbl, compact, light, medium, heavy, optics, sights, accessory capabilities, etc. Planning to buy pre-made or build it yourself. You planning on situations where you'll be working on it yourself, tuning, parts, etc. And you might consider the additional uppers the base 7,62x51/.308 will accept with the same BCG, like the 6.5 Creedmoor, .338 Federal, etc. I'm a huge fan of them, based on the dominant AR-15 platforms.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
As far as brands of AR's.... I'd say most any brand would surfice, as a starter rifle.
I bought a pre-ban Bushmaster ( Windham, Maine )as my 1st AR,, just before the Clinton ban took effect .. & paid 2X what it was worth !
Next was a Palmetto State Armory (PSA) carbine kit, that .inc. everything but a stripped lower.
I also bought a PSA stripped lower, & added the kit parts. = my 2nd AR.
Had some issues with this rifle, but I've got a good gunsmith to provide information I didn't know, & got the rifle reliable.

I've recently noticed Anderson AR-15's on sale for $499.00 My guess this would be a good economical starter rifle, and
PSA has been advertising a complete , assembled AR for the same price.

Any Springfield, Colt, other recognizable name brand rifle will work. or if you want a more "premium" brand , with higher quality parts & higher price,
others like the DD brand mentioned. There's certainly a lot of brands to choose from. Usually more expensive will = a better quality AR..
but read below.:

I will add that higher priced doesn't necessarily mean more accurate.
A local AR builder, Combat Armory ..had AR uppers on sale, for cheap. (Learned about the sale on a local gun forum)

I'd never shot cheap, steel cased ammo (i.e. Wolf / Tula) but I read an online test, re: barrel wear of steel core jkt'd bullets in the cheap ammo,
vs lead core jkt'd bullets, & decided I should give the cheap ammo a try. A factor in my decision was that component prices,
had increased to the point that I could buy the cheap , foreign ammo for about what my cost was to load 223 rds.

This was pre-pandemic, pre ammo shortage / escalating prices..when foreign ammo was cheap. I decided to buy the cheap Combat Armory upper,
which included a BCG & CH.. figured I'd drop it on to a lower I already had & use this upper toshoot steel cased (cheap) ammo.

Before I tried the steel cased ammo, decided I should see how accurate it was shooting my usual 223 loads,,
my handloads with lead core 55gr fmj bullets. Imagine my surprise when I shot groups about .5" @ 50 yds...better than my 3 other AR's
I also had bought an Adams Arms AR, to try a gas piston AR, instead of the DI gas system most AR's use.
The C.A .upper shoots better(tighter groups) than the other 3 Ar's I own... Think I paid $169.00 for the upper, BCG, & CH.
Never shot that steel cased ammo I'd bought..sold most of it when the ammo shortage hit, still have maybe 100 rds.
Bought an Anderson stripped lower, C.A. has a sale on a lower parts kit, so added it it to the lower. A CMC 3.5 # trigger,
scope & bipod were later added. Now it's a reliable accurate shooter.

Last edited:

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Henry 45-70
Benelli Monfeltro 12
Walther ppk/s .380

Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

Latest posts