Have you used a ballistic calculator?

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
The strelok app. has really helped me see the effects of wind bullet weight and distance. When its hard to find a place to practice at 400-600 yards this app. Made it happen. What other good apps are out there?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I use Ballistic AE a lot. It's a little more professional looking then Strelok. If it had the Strelok reticle deal it would be the only one I use.

There are several IPSC apps and of course Practiscore is a mist have. Surefire shot timer app too.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Strelok is the first free app I ever used but Shooter Is maybe a $10 app on your cell phone well worth it. I just e mail the data to me and modify it in a excel spreadsheet print and make a card. My bad habit is using shooter app while shooting, battery goes dead if not careful. I typically type in temp & Density Altitude and use what ever pops up under 500 yds ballistic table does not change very much, but over 600 density altitude and temp make a difference especially if shooting at 1-2 moa targets.

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
I get doubles if I dont pull the trigger hard on my SD3G trigger. I like the retical picture with strelok.
Helps me with seeing the effects of wind and bullet weight.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the apps but real world shooting gets you the best results not to mention builds a little confidence BUT with the cost of bullets, powder and all the other roll your own not to mention everyone is so damn busy the apps are better then nothing.

Jared just Google all those weird words and you'll not only impress your buddies at work they MIGHT even believe you lol! Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Kirk Smith (ksmirk) said:
I like the apps but real world shooting gets you the best results not to mention builds a little confidence
I always get my hits on my phone. :)
As for real world.......not so much a confidence builder :(

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Jared, ya think 3 guns expensive...... NOT! it's nothing to have $3-$5k in a rifle/optic then there's all the other fun goodies. Once it warms up I'll put you behind a rifle and you can see how boring it is to plink plates at 500 yards, just ask Tony how boring my 308 is to shoot.

Aw Tony you just need some positive ;) when you take your time you were hitting well that one afternoon! Later,

Kirk

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the apps but real world shooting gets you the best results not to mention builds a little confidence BUT with the cost of bullets, powder and all the other roll your own not to mention everyone is so damn busy the apps are better then nothing.
Kirk
Kirk. I completely agree, but the apps are a very good starting point and a little real world feed back makes them better. I used bullet drop to get a good starting point for shooting 600 yard matches. It was within 0.5 MOA at 600 yards. A little reverse lookup to adjust velocity in app and it was nuts on elevation when I shot my first 1,000 yd match.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh I'm not knocking them by any means! they are a hell of a good starting point and the ones I've seen here in the near past are pretty dang close. Just remembering the days we didn't have these cool little contraptions :) Later,

Kirk

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh I'm not knocking them by any means! they are a hell of a good starting point and the ones I've seen here in the near past are pretty dang close. Just remembering the days we didn't have these cool little contraptions :) Later,

Kirk
I forgot/left dope card in truck during deer season. It was nice to be able to quickly download app for iPhone and input ballistics data from memory. Crappy that I never got shot closer than 500 yds to meat bag. I'm confident in shooting 600 yds prone with good data. Not that sporty from 500 yds in tower blind with cross wind. 375 yds is the farthest I've whacked Bambi.

Latest posts