Harbor Freight Has Cases On Sale

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Good call boatdoc! I just might have done that... I do keep a gun sock for each range gun. I mainly wanted this setup for organization. Several times, I grabbed my range bags, ammo and such, and failed to bring the correct mags. I guess guns can go into the gun socks and range bags until cleaned up.

deadguy

Active Fanatic
That's a nice case!

I've had several different cases through the years, but realized they aren't as practical for range trips as I had imagined. A medium sized shooting bag works much better, mainly because I can fit everything needed in one container. Gats are stored in socks, and i can place them in a bag along with mags, ammo, ears, tools, etc. One piece to carry. However, for flying, this case would be ideal.

mikemac

Active Fanatic
Fred G Did it come with a blank foam pad and you cut it out for your guns.? The link shows for a camera.

Ohrings

Fanatic
I used to be a Pelican case rep until I retired. I always caution that that had blued guns to take care. If the case has open cell foam, it is like a sponge and traps moisture. Moisture can transfer to a blued pistol and cause the blueing injury. If the case is closed cell foam, the is the best choice.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several of these cases. They're very nice - fit/function fairly close to the Pelican cases I have and far less expensive. I think anyone who buys one will be happy with the quality of the case. I get Pistol Annie to make labels/stickers to camoflage them as medical and electronic equipment so our luggage doesn't scream GUNS when we travel.

But the foam - not so much. It breaks down quickly, crumbles and - as earlier posts indicated - has moisture and temp issues. It's just not suitable long-term. I haven't figured out what is.

I've been looking for a proper DIY alternative but haven't found it yet. I looked at closed-cell foam from a local supplier but don't have a good cutting/shaping setup. The online sites that laser-cut/CNC custom case foam are pricey.

Chuck43

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several of these cases. They're very nice - fit/function fairly close to the Pelican cases I have and far less expensive. I think anyone who buys one will be happy with the quality of the case. I get Pistol Annie to make labels/stickers to camoflage them as medical and electronic equipment so our luggage doesn't scream GUNS when we travel.

But the foam - not so much. It breaks down quickly, crumbles and - as earlier posts indicated - has moisture and temp issues. It's just not suitable long-term. I haven't figured out what is.

I've been looking for a proper DIY alternative but haven't found it yet. I looked at closed-cell foam from a local supplier but don't have a good cutting/shaping setup. The online sites that laser-cut/CNC custom case foam are pricey.

Check out "My CaseBuilder", design the layout you want and submit it along with your case dimensions.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks. I have looked at them, and a couple of others. First saw My CaseBuilder at the NRA show. Nice stuff but a little pricey. I might do it eventually, after I've experimented enough to be sure what I want.