Guncrafter Guncrafter Commander 9mm/38 Super....thoughts

Monadh

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh,.....I did leave that out.

I felt as if the Guncrafter X2 had two major innovations that I quickly noticed when shooting. The grip frame was the major innovation here. This double stack 2011'ish X2 did not feel cheap like many of the polymer frame double stacks do. The Frag treatment was grippy, without being overbearing as some of the polymer grips can be. Secondly, the lightened slide seemed to simply shoot flatter with less recoil and nearly no muzzle dip when returning to battery.

Agreed about all points, but I have only handled a 2011, I've never shot one.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing but perfection, wait that is another pistol company that does not even come close, what a great pistol, GI all the way.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Excellent write up! I need to make the time to visit the Mother Ship! 38 Super is certainly my caliber of choice! Congratulations!!

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Bender, what make is that mag in the second picture with the C4 sticker on it? I am looking for officer size 38 Super mags with a flat floor plate.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the write up Bender! I really want a GI in .38 super. Damn roster, .50 GI for me I guess. Oh well. :) Just been holding off because I don't want to add another cartridge. I'm sure we can all guess how this will play out...

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
So......a bit of an update on this GI.

I sent it back to the mothership for a few mods.

-While it worked well for reloads. Im just not a fan of magwells on a carry gun. I prefer the compactness of a standard grip. This Commander be getting a round butt 15LPI mainspring housing.
-While the factory controls are nice, the Harrison Extreme thumb safety and slide stop are perfect for me.
-Ball cuts.......gotta have them!

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
So......a bit of an update on this GI.

I sent it back to the mothership for a few mods.

-While it worked well for reloads. Im just not a fan of magwells on a carry gun. I prefer the compactness of a standard grip. This Commander be getting a round butt 15LPI mainspring housing.
-While the factory controls are nice, the Harrison Extreme thumb safety and slide stop are perfect for me.
-Ball cuts.......gotta have them!
Nothing like making it your own .

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Should be super sweet......not sure when it will get on the bench. It will get done when it gets done.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, still love the GI but I have sent it back for a few personal touches.
- Magwell to be removed
- Round butt 15lpi mainspring housing installed
- Ball cuts on slide
- Harrison slide stop and thumb safety

Seems mods/machining can be done to a melonite gun. Finish just needs to be redone.

Will get some updates posted when it gets back

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice Mods, great looking pistol, I just got a commander 45acp GI, my next purchase will be a GI 9mm.

Latest posts