Got a vertical mill, now what?

awp101

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you made any progress with this?
Would love to have a small mill and a lathe. I would have more use for them making small parts and tools than a gunsmithing use.
No, it's very much on the back burner for now and I'm not 100% sure if I'm even going to hang on to it. Maybe if I come into some 80% Glock frames for dirt blanking cheap to tinker and piddle with or if I can use it to make fixtures for a wood lathe or wood turning tools.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
No, it's very much on the back burner for now and I'm not 100% sure if I'm even going to hang on to it. Maybe if I come into some 80% Glock frames for dirt blanking cheap to tinker and piddle with or if I can use it to make fixtures for a wood lathe or wood turning tools.
Even if you don't work on guns but you have the room for it, keep it!! You can definitely make fixtures for wood working. Also it will come in handy more than you ever think you would use it.
I wish I had a mill, I could use it for around the house stuff all the time.

awp101

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I'll probably hang on to it just because it costs me nothing on food, water or insurance.

The "problem" is I need to build at least 2 more small rolling tables/carts, maybe 3, for other stuff like the drill press and other larger tools that get used more often. Plus Every time I go out in the garage I'm looking and mentally evaluating what should stay and what can be useful and what really needs to hit the road because the plan is to have one of these by Christmas. Not sure yet if I'll buy the stand or build my own table.

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
OP if you are new to amateur machining this is certainly a low cost entry. But i would not put anything under a HF mill that I cared for. Use it. Test it. And see if the machining bug bites you. Then you will have no trouble buying a proper mill. Look at the Grizzly line.

Latest posts