for all my buddies that do or did dip or chew

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
You know those giant 5 gallon buckets of sunflower seeds you can get at Sams....yeah, I've gone through two of them. Sunflower seeds at home and gum at work. My main motivation is my twins. When my son (5 months old at the time) reached out to grab a water bottle I had been spitting in I figured it was time to give it up. It's definitely not a habit I want to pass on and I do not want to expose them to it.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Washburn said:
My last dip was about 6 weeks ago and i still get a twitch in the morning and after dinner.
I read somewhere that when you eat it triggers a release of some chemical in your body that makes nicotine users crave it. Makes perfect sense to me, thats exactly when I would go for the can.

mike cyrwus said:
Howd I miss this! Good job keep driving!

What positive habit are you going to replace it with?

keep it up, it gets better!!!
I started running again, I use to put down two miles in right around 13 minutes which is good for a guy built like me but that 13 minute mark is my objective.

Matt Washburn said:
You know those giant 5 gallon buckets of sunflower seeds you can get at Sams....yeah, I've gone through two of them. Sunflower seeds at home and gum at work. My main motivation is my twins. When my son (5 months old at the time) reached out to grab a water bottle I had been spitting in I figured it was time to give it up. It's definitely not a habit I want to pass on and I do not want to expose them to it.
That's what did it for me too, my two year old son came running into the kitchen chewing on the lid of a dip bottle 1/4 full. That was the final straw for me.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Overall I'm not struggling to bad but I have noticed a bit of a change in my temperament? For some reason I feel like a have a bit shorter of a fuse when I typically don't let things get to me at all really. I'm generally cool as a cucumber, except for these past almost two weeks. My guess is that there's some sort of chemical recalculation my body is going through and my system is trying to figure itself out. I've also laid off the bottle quite a bit recently too (not an alocholic but use to put back at least 4 a night).

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL! A couple of years before I quit for good, I was doing the "I'm gonna quit" thing, but my heart and mind weren't in it yet. I was a couple of weeks in and I was in a bad mood like none other. My wife leaves, goes to the store and buys a whole roll. She brings it back, just about throws it at me and says, "here,,,,now cheer up!"

It's normal,,,hang in there. It'll start getting easier and easier. Best decision you could make!

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
stan686 said:
LOL! A couple of years before I quit for good, I was doing the "I'm gonna quit" thing, but my heart and mind weren't in it yet. I was a couple of weeks in and I was in a bad mood like none other. My wife leaves, goes to the store and buys a whole roll. She brings it back, just about throws it at me and says, "here,,,,now cheer up!"

It's normal,,,hang in there. It'll start getting easier and easier. Best decision you could make!
My head is definitely in the game with this, although I honestly did enjoy dip especially after I found skoal rich blend, I'm done. I'm just glad I'm not a mental case and other people have gone through this **** too. Everyone else's past suffering is making me feel better now. hahahahaaaa

yeah, it gives you a lesson in controlling temper; thats what the runnings for!
just make sure you know where the studs in your walls are, generally..:)

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
yeah, it gives you a lesson in controlling temper; thats what the runnings for!
just make sure you know where the studs in your walls are, generally.. :)
PFFFFTAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!!!! Isn't that the damn truth. :021:

dennishoddy

Keep yourself busy, especially your hands. Idle hands create evil minds, or something like that. :girlwacko:

Point is, sitting around idle makes those cravings increase. You HAVE to keep busy. Wax your car, change oil, sweep the garage, do something and don't quit!

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't even know how long it's been now but I ended up just going cold turkey. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it every once in a while but I'm good to go..

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad someone brought this post up. Just want to remind everyone if you really wasn't to quit you can...chewed for over 10 years and I am coming up on 6 months since my last dip. If I can do it anyone can.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Washburn said:
Glad someone brought this post up. Just want to remind everyone if you really wasn't to quit you can...chewed for over 10 years and I am coming up on 6 months since my last dip. If I can do it anyone can.
Yup! looks like I started this thread in Feb which was four months ago now and I was back and forth with dip and cigs since 2006. The only problem is she wants me quit farting now.... One thing at a time right? Geese, lol.

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
After I quit smoking many many years ago, I tried chewing tobacco for awhile but finally quit it too. I never could get into the snuff bit even though I tried
it. I tried chewing gum and that helped then quit it too. I haven't used tobacco in any form for probably over 30 years or so. Anyway good luck and
hope you can quit all of it too. Through it all away and go deer hunting by yourself or friend, who doesn't use tobacco, for a week or two. Two weeks
in the woods without tobacco will get you started on the right track. After a month or so, you won't want it. That's what worked for me.

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
mtnman1 said:
Over a year tobacco free! Doesn't even temp me anymore, in fact the thought of it almost makes me turn green. lol
Rules of three. Three hours three days three months three years three decades. Never say never, the cravings will sneak up on you.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Luckily as much as I was around it I never started dipping. Tried it twice and made me sicker than a dog both times. Think I literally turned green.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
JHenderson said:
Rules of three. Three hours three days three months three years three decades. Never say never, the cravings will sneak up on you.
Nah, all those years are behind me. I Don't want the kids to think it's ok...

Josh Beauchamp said:
Luckily as much as I was around it I never started dipping. Tried it twice and made me sicker than a dog both times. Think I literally turned green.
I have turned green a couple of times, lol, no clue why I put myself through that.

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
mtnman1 said:
Nah, all those years are behind me. I Don't want the kids to think it's ok....
I hope so, my occupation deals a lot with the after affects of smoking and smokers and I hear the "never again" more than daily and it's almost always fails to hold true.