for all my buddies that do or did dip or chew

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anyone ever tried any alternatives to dip? My GF hates it and she might be right about hanging up it. There are a few products out there that are suppose to be healthier alternatives, one of them that sparked my interest is a product called "Grinds", it's basically coffee in pouches similar to dip pouches. Any thoughts or experiences with anything along these lines?

snapcap

Active Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
Replace a bad addiction with a better one.
Replacing a habit worked best for me. The watershed was a good friend of mine telling me he had stage 4 throat cancer. That was my last can of snuff.

I quit Copenhagen (at least 1 can per day) after nearly 20 years of using the stuff. Sunflower seeds and black coffee helped me through. I had tried all the nicotine substitutes and it never really helped me stay off. You can quit when you get your mind right; at least that worked for me. I wish you luck.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Try Smokey Mountain chew. I used it successfully to quit Copenhagen. Its all herbal and tastes pretty good
I'm definitely gonna check it out
mike cyrwus said:
http://www.mintsnuff.com/

stuff saved my life.

Im a pretty frequent gum chewer now. and the day I stopped chew was the day I started working out. Replace a bad addiction with a better one.

Been about 5 months. cold turkey.
good luck.
This is almost identical to the "grinds" product that I was referring to, glad to hear it's working.

Snap Cap said:
Replacing a habit worked best for me. The watershed was a good friend of mine telling me he had stage 4 throat cancer. That was my last can of snuff.

I quit Copenhagen (at least 1 can per day) after nearly 20 years of using the stuff. Sunflower seeds and black coffee helped me through. I had tried all the nicotine substitutes and it never really helped me stay off. You can quit when you get your mind right; at least that worked for me. I wish you luck.
I agree 100% I want to nip this in the but before it gets to that point, assuming it hasn't already. I'm at a can of Skoal a day myself, started over seas and quit for a year when I got back but picked it up again and been a can a day for 3 or 4 years now.

I appreciate it gents, I'll keep ya posted and hopefully we can get others to follow suit as well.

dennishoddy

I finally got my son to quit dipping. It took three of his grandparents dying from cancer caused by nicotine to drive it home. Him sitting there watching them take their last gasping breath makes for a game changer.

If you smoke, or chew,

Quit.

Your family doesn't deserve to watch you end your life this way.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I finally got my son to quit dipping. It took three of his grandparents dying from cancer caused by nicotine to drive it home. Him sitting there watching them take their last gasping breath makes for a game changer.

If you smoke, or chew,

Quit.

Your family doesn't deserve to watch you end your life this way.
Exactly what I don't want my son to go through. Have his dad live through a war to die of self inflicted nicotine death is hardly fair to him.

B

Beau

I chewed the nicotine gum and it worked well for me. only chewed it for about 2 maybe 3 months then was off all nicotine

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried grinds and it sucked it dried my mouth out really bad and did not taste good.

This sounds dumb but I used that beef jerky in a can. I have but had a dip of Copenhagen since August 2nd. And the jerky since August 20th. I say just use what ever works its hard to quit but so worth it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I dipped Copenhagen for a looooooong time. When I decided to quit, I quit cold turkey.
The first day was a ***** & I almost didn't make it.
I stopped for gas on my way home & went inside to buy a can because I had to have some.
The clerk said that they were out of Copenhagen but they had skoal, etc.....& asked if I wanted any of those.
I just said no thanks & went on home.
Never had a problem after that & it's been about 13yrs give or take.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I used chantix. I was a can a day and just stopped. Lots of gum later and the chantix, I have been off chew for 6 weeks now. I do pocket my chewing gum quite a bit out of habit. :)

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
I just made a deal with my wife saterday that if I quit smoking and chewing she will buy me a stag 3g. I have two weeks to quit both. Thank god for beer. With two kids it has sucked the first few days. I hope I can do this

White Kid

The American Reaper
I don't do tobacco..... but I've heard that Swedish Snus (Snoos) is smokeless but CAN'T give you cancer. gum decay, tooth lose, you can swallow your spit (even though it sounds nasty but nothing happens). It's a big thing over in Europe like nasal snuff used to be. People say it helps them quit chew/dip and smoking. It's in little pouches and they last like an hour or two.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
First time I quit it was simple! this time is a touch more difficult. I've got to get my mind in the right place and just do it! I'm going to look into the smokey mountain stuff and see how that pans out. Later

Kirk

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
I know for a fact I won't be able to drop it cold turkey, I've gotten so use to having a dip in at all times, even at the damn grocery store that I wouldn't survive without some sort of alternative. The whole reason I started dipping in the first place was to quit smoking, worked like a charm and I went from massive "lips" to pouches over time trying to ween myself off. Seems like every time I'm ready to quit the devil shows his face, I've been given more free cans at random from gas stations in the past two weeks than I have my whole life lol, must be beard envy.

mtnman1 said:
I know for a fact I won't be able to drop it cold turkey,

I've gotten so use to having a dip in at all times,
no ****, thats what dippers do. I had dip in my mouth for 16hrs straight 7/week.

Your case in nothing special, matter of fact, a lot of dudes with half jaws can totally relate with not being able to quit.
Its a choice you make and you back it up with will power and human resolve.

If you need someone to call you a ***** or something to motivate you to quit, let me know.

toughlove baby!

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
no ****, thats what dippers do. I had dip in my mouth for 16hrs straight 7/week.

Your case in nothing special, matter of fact, a lot of dudes with half jaws can totally relate with not being able to quit.
Its a choice you make and you back it up with will power and human resolve.

If you need someone to call you a ***** or something to motivate you to quit, let me know.

toughlove baby!
pfftahahahaa!! I love it, let me know if you're ever near Raleigh, we'll grab a beer...

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
I dipped Skoal for right at 20 years. Had a dip in my mouth more than I didn't. Toughest thing I have ever done was to quit,,,but am sure glad that I did. I tried many times. One time I was quit for about 6 months or so, a buddy threw me a can after lunch and I threw in a dip. BAD MISTAKE. I was worse after that than I was before. As others have said here, I finally had to get my mind made up that I was going to quit. My baby boy taking a big swig out of a spit cup helped me decide too. One day, I threw an empty can in the trash and in mind, i said "I'm done". And that was it. I used the patches for about a week. Don't know if they did any good or not, but I haven't had a dip since. Other than that, I was cold turkey. That was July of 1998. It took a couple of months or so and then it started getting a little easier. Now, I can't even stand the smell of it. Weird thing is, I still dream about it.

Different things work for different people. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck!

Latest posts