First matches

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
So Mr. Fuson down to the OPS has convinced me so I think I'm gonna try out the whole IDPA thing in the month of July. I went and watched a a match over at Oil Capitol, It was seemed to be alot of fun. So I'm gonna go try it for myself, any advice, tips, tricks,??? I've downloaded the IDPA rule book .... that's about where I've got to gonna pick up some mag carriers and go on from there,

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Glad your giving it a try. The best advice is to shoot slowly at first and hit -0 every time. Speed will come. Good luck!

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
IDPA can be fun, but plan on doing slide lock reloads most of the time as they do have some pretty extensive ammo retention rules. Tactical reload and reload with retention can be confusing at times :blink:

Wes

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, you're getting advice from Distinguished Master Eric Fusion, and you still want advice from the rest of us??!!?? :eek:

Well, when we were on the same squad at a state match (MO, I think)contemplating a particularly messy stage, I asked him his plan. Eric said, "Shoot them all in the middle as fast as I can and not DQ."
So we did, and he did it faster. :lol:

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife is going to shoot her first idpa match on sat as well. She has shot a couple steel challenges but first idpa. It was her idea asked me if she can come and shoot.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My wife is going to shoot her first idpa match on sat as well. She has shot a couple steel challenges but first idpa. It was her idea asked me if she can come and shoot.

Very cool! Get some video of her shooting in your BoomerShooter.com hat and up your chances of winning the giveaway.

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm giddy with excitment; I just picked up a couple extra mags 28$ a peice, a dbl mag carrier $30, and 250 rds of 45 ammo from Walmart $98.00. all the fun Im hopping to have on saturday; priceless. I'm acutally having trouble going to sleep tonite wishing it was tomarrow nite already. Although I'm glad it aint, gonna try to get in some reloading drills and trigger time tomarrow so I can bring my A game sat. My A game is most likely like everyone elses C game though (lol)

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
ok so I've been looking over the IDPA rule book for holsters and I've come across an issue, so I need to ask someone who is alittle smarter than I on these type of issues. Rules state that no Small Of Back holsters are to be used, my everyday carry is a SOB. HOWEVER I don't wear the holster in the small of my back. I wear it "Kidney Carry" converting the holster from a SOB to a pancake type holster (which is approved within the IDPA rules). I do have an awesome IWB holster but it is not nearly as confortable as my modified SOB carry. I would like to compete as I carry but WILL NOT let that keep me from the match on saturday. Anyone have any thoughts/clairifications ???

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
I HAD A BLAST !!!!!! (figuratively and literally) now I wanna shoot some of the other events, I am unsure how I did, would have done better if I had boned up on the procedures and not gotten so many procedurals and shot for accuracy instead of time, but I'm learning. I would encourage anyone who has even considered shooting a match to just go out and do it. I had a great time, I feel (gotta check with the wife first) I've gotta brand new hobby

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I HAD A BLAST !!!!!! (figuratively and literally) now I wanna shoot some of the other events, I am unsure how I did, would have done better if I had boned up on the procedures and not gotten so many procedurals and shot for accuracy instead of time, but I'm learning. I would encourage anyone who has even considered shooting a match to just go out and do it. I had a great time, I feel (gotta check with the wife first) I've gotta brand new hobby

It was good shooting with you today. Glad you had fun you need to try uspsa

Latest posts