Wilson Combat Finally here!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Talked to my gun shop guy yesterday, they got a msg. from Wilson Combat that my EDC X9 was ready to ship, and would go out Monday. I should be able to pick it up today, I ordered it on 2/10, it was kitted on 3/5, so it looks like they are down to three months on new orders. Range report to follow very quickly!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
As promised, range report. Put 400 rds. of mix through it this afternoon, ran smoothly, but then after the first 120 or so, it decided that it needed a little nudge from my thumb to go into battery, just that little bit at the end of the cycle, Ok, this is break-in, so no big deal, it seemed to act this way on the 115 gr. ball, I remember reading about that in either this or another forum, so, after a strip down, good cleaning, and lube job, I will be leaving the shock buffer OUT. Mr. Browning didn't include one in his original, so out it goes. That should fix the issue.
Busy tomorrow, but will put another 500-600 rounds through it this weekend. It is a great shooter, but then, in all fairness, so was my CZ 75 the first time I shot it.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Nice! My WC guns liked to be run wet, probably more so for a new one.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure yet about the wet part, they do come from Wilson pretty well lubed up. I stripped it down to clean it today, not really that bad, just the 400 rds., Jury is still out on the WC battle sight. my eyes were the first part of me to find out I was 70, my joints were second. My goals have changed, keep me in that center mass "area". Still planning on another 500-600 rds this weekend. Oh, and that shock buff is gone.

Krunchnik

Active Fanatic
Very nice pistola there-good on ridding yourself of the shokbuff-seems that they create more feeding problems than they solve.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
The 1911 was not designed to run with a shock buff but the EDC X9 was designed to incorporate a shock buff and I do not think that is your issue. The 115gr ammo could very well be on a new gun. Try switching to 124's and I think you will be happy again. If I'm not mistaken Wilson does recommend 124's for at least the break in period.

I know shock buffs are either a love or hate item but really think the 115 gr ammo is your issue.

I have over 5,000 rounds through mine and have yet to experience a malfunction of any kind.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
As promised, range report. Put 400 rds. of mix through it this afternoon, ran smoothly, but then after the first 120 or so, it decided that it needed a little nudge from my thumb to go into battery, just that little bit at the end of the cycle, Ok, this is break-in, so no big deal, it seemed to act this way on the 115 gr. ball, I remember reading about that in either this or another forum, so, after a strip down, good cleaning, and lube job, I will be leaving the shock buffer OUT. Mr. Browning didn't include one in his original, so out it goes. That should fix the issue.
Busy tomorrow, but will put another 500-600 rounds through it this weekend. It is a great shooter, but then, in all fairness, so was my CZ 75 the first time I shot it.
View attachment 4908
I had the same problem with mine. Talked with one of the gunsmiths at Wilson and he said they had no problems with that after firing hundreds of test rounds before delivery and possibly my thumb was putting pressure on the slide. Adjusted my grip and have a thousand or so rounds through it with no problems. It was me, not the gun.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought mine used, very lightly used, maybe 200 rounds though it if that, a buddy of mine bought it to shoot IDPA but decided the safety wasn't worth getting used to so went back to his Walther PPQ 4". Maybe mine was already broken in but I've had no issues with 115 gr and some 147 gr. I haven't shot it a ton, maybe 4-5 IDPA matches, it's a great little gun, feels great but I'm so used to 5" barrels probably gonna sell it, thinking seriously about the x9L and this is bad, been a few months since I shot it, I don't remember when I cleaned it if it had a shockbuff in it and if it did if I took it out, hell gettin old!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought mine used, very lightly used, maybe 200 rounds though it if that, a buddy of mine bought it to shoot IDPA but decided the safety wasn't worth getting used to so went back to his Walther PPQ 4". Maybe mine was already broken in but I've had no issues with 115 gr and some 147 gr. I haven't shot it a ton, maybe 4-5 IDPA matches, it's a great little gun, feels great but I'm so used to 5" barrels probably gonna sell it, thinking seriously about the x9L and this is bad, been a few months since I shot it, I don't remember when I cleaned it if it had a shockbuff in it and if it did if I took it out, hell gettin old!
I have talked to the guys at Wilson several times, and the consensus seems to be the shockbuffer, during a break-in period. 115 ball is used during the testing along with about all of the other loads out there. A combination of fouling, and the 115 ammo seem to have been the culprit. Actually, a half dozen battery failures in 400 rds. isn't that bad. As I mentioned earlier, I still don't see it as the greatest pistol ever built, as a few magazine reviewers called it. It IS a great gun, nice to shoot, I can't see getting rid of it. The grips are pretty darn aggressive, no way around that, until aftermarket ones become available. A shooting glove is a nice add there. I'll have a few thousand through it during the summer, then see how it's doing. All in all, nice gun!