Engraving picture thread

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
My S&W Model 67 is the stainless version of the Model 15. It has "A" (75% coverage) level factory engraving, confirmed by a factory letter. The engraving more than doubled the value of the revolver. There are a lot of "engravers" out there whose work will add very little value to a gun. I'd be very cautious about giving work to someone who isn't fairly well known in the firearms industry.

mofosheee

New Fanatic
I mentioned elsewhere that Pistol Annie is going to be taking a two-week engraving course this summer. She used to do some pretty nice metalwork years ago, and wants to try her hand at firearms.

I'd like to get some inspiration pics of tasteful engraving on different guns - pistols, long guns, whatever.

I'm not into the gold-plated, bling bling, El Chapo drug lord, cover-every-square-millimeter with engraving stuff - a little engraving goes a long way. But tastefully and judiciously-applied artistic examples would be great. If you come across anything that strikes your fancy please post it here.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 16
  • horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 17

weapontrainer

Fanatic
We watched a fellow do some engraving at the NRA show. He was amazing. That was actually what got Annie fired up about it. But it is very fine, detailed, time-consuming artistry. I don't have any real idea about the cost/time, but the numbers you quote don't really surprise me.
Yup...I think I am hit for time and cost of admission....I still may do it!
Ever since seeing "BBQ Guns" as a kid in Tx, I have wanted one.
j

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
While not nearly as fine as actual engraving, I have seen some nice examples of laser engraved guns, and depending on the desired outcome, it can be a great alternative. I'm putting one together, to pass down to the grand kids, actually, two, a 1911 and an m-16(semi, darn it) from my time in Vietnam.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
The Montgomery NRA program coordinator was hanging around our reloading class all weekend and he and I got to talking about the engraving class Annie is taking this summer.

The instructor is Jesse Houser. I guess he is very highly regarded - sort of has his own cult following - as the coordinator said some of his students have been coming back to his classes for years. I can say the photos I saw of his work were phenomenal. I was told his waitlist is 18-24 months, then however long it takes to do the work (which can vary a great deal.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I would love to have my Stainless Colt's engraved like some of the beautiful 1911's in the Texas Rangers Museum in Waco. I may just do it, as a retirement present to myself. But I have come up against several obstacles. "I'd love to do it, but it's stainless" "Id love to do it. Do you have $5000.00 " I'd love to do it, but can you leave it with me for two years" Any ideas? This may just be the terms for cost of entry.....
Thank you
j
Been a while since I posted anything in this thread. Annie's getting all her stuff together. She had such a good time at the basic gunsmithing class she signed up a stipling and grip reduction on plastic-fantastic pistols in Oct.

But I'm posting because the limited edition engraved Guncrafter that just came out was done by Jim Downing and his pricing seems much more reasonable.

$400 or so for slide flats, $1,200 for a pistol, based on his pricing page.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts