Duplicating commercial loads

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
I've only had that problem with 9mm. Whether it was new brass or stainless wet tumbled, it would bind up the press where I had to exert way too much force to raise the handle. Immediately after switching to walnut tumbled brass, the problem stopped. I'm glad it happened because it was taking a lot of time depriming, wet tumbling, and drying. I was able to get a lot of time back and avoid that binding problem at the same time.

Just want to give you a heads up about it if you wind up experiencing the problem. If you don't have that problem, great. I'm loading around 8-10K rounds of 9mm a year so anything that slows down the 650, or the reloading process takes time away from other things I'd like to do.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Reloading isn't a hobby for me, either, tecnetium99m. Necessary evil as far as I'm concerned. Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd buy commercial rounds, but I'm not very well-to-do.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
DD78 said:
I've only had that problem with 9mm. Whether it was new brass or stainless wet tumbled, it would bind up the press where I had to exert way too much force to raise the handle. Immediately after switching to walnut tumbled brass, the problem stopped. I'm glad it happened because it was taking a lot of time depriming, wet tumbling, and drying. I was able to get a lot of time back and avoid that binding problem at the same time.

Just want to give you a heads up about it if you wind up experiencing the problem. If you don't have that problem, great. I'm loading around 8-10K rounds of 9mm a year so anything that slows down the 650, or the reloading process takes time away from other things I'd like to do.

Thought I'd share this with you, DD78. I got a batch of new Starline brass in for my 9mm the other day. All of a sudden I've started having sticking problems. Thought it was weird, since you'd just mentioned it. I kept pulling my case expander and polishing it...........but it wasn't helping. Turns out what was sticking was the primer seater!!!!!!! Not quite sure how to fix that because I don't want any lube down there to be possibly "tainting" my primers.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris54326 said:
Thought I'd share this with you, DD78. I got a batch of new Starline brass in for my 9mm the other day. All of a sudden I've started having sticking problems. Thought it was weird, since you'd just mentioned it. I kept pulling my case expander and polishing it...........but it wasn't helping. Turns out what was sticking was the primer seater!!!!!!! Not quite sure how to fix that because I don't want any lube down there to be possibly "tainting" my primers.
That's one I've never heard of. I would highly recommend calling Dillon and asking them about it.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been busy since noticing it, but I'm going to take some things apart and mic for sizes. Might need to polish to remove a little material or something.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, problem solved..............or averted, which ever! I ordered 500 115 gr FMJ bullets from RMR today. Not going to have to worry about this lead mess any more. Wasn't trying to start yet another journey into casting, lubing and sizing lead bullets................just wanted a hassle free practice round. I'll put these jacketed bullets over 5.65 gr WSF and be happy. (that is reported to duplicate my carry round in recoil) So all is well in my neighborhood.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I've also had the issue with the cases sticking. So far it's only been with the 9mm. Dillon told me that when I pin tumbled the brass it got it too clean and I needed to lube the inside of the case mouths.

I've since backed off from using the SS pins and just wet tumbled and havent had any more problems.

I don't recommend loading cast bullets to match factory jacketed hollow points. You may start have barrel leading issues. Most manuals have separate load data for cast and jacketed bullets.

Latest posts