Here / There

• Here

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • There

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
I feel like I'm walking with one foot on the curb and the other in the gutter . . . .

I've recently been able to poke my head out of a very dark place and begin to engage in my hobbies a bit. I have a new build that I have started. I really want to post up documentation of that journey, and of a bunch of smaller improvements I have been making to my other guns.

I have never been one to engage in duplicate posting across multiple sites, especially if there are strong parallels in readership. Which brings me to my dillema . . . .

Here . . . . or There?

Which would you prefer to find Zoid's content on?

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
welcome Zoid...HERE. this site needs some new threads and your sense of humor.

glad to see you are enjoying your hobbies a bit again. how is the hip healing?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a mod at a fairly large regional gun forum that was sold to a commercial media interest of questionable political leanings (anti-2A at the parent company) a couple of years ago. Because of the way it was handled (and said controversy over the new ownership) nearly all the mods and admins left en masse the same day to start another forum that was never to be owned by a media company. It has largely been a success, although not without it's own drama (and a subsequent split amongst the multiple owners) in terms of what kind of non-firearms content would be allowed. So a third forum was born, and has remained even smaller.

What is the moral to the story? I dunno.

There was something literally magic at the first forum before the sale. I made all kinds of friends, both the people I met and traded with in person, and of course a large number of what I call "fake internet friends" that you find at all on-line communities, who you get to know but may never encounter in person. Plus being a community of just two states we were all much closer geographically to one another.

It was the one singular place I posted. Spent WAY too much time there, but loved it. Now I post at 4-5 gun forums, at least one car forum, a political forum, and read too much damn news.

Last edited:

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a mod at a fairly large regional gun forum that was sold to a commercial media interest of questionable political leanings (anti-2A at the parent company) a couple of years ago. Because of the way it was handled (and said controversy over the new ownership) nearly all the mods and admins left en masse the same day to start another forum that was never to be owned by a media company. It has largely been a success, although not without it's own drama (and a subsequent split amongst the multiple owners) in terms of what kind of non-firearms content would be allowed. So a third forum was born, and has remained even smaller.

What is the moral to the story? I dunno.

There was something literally magic at the first forum before the sale. I made all kinds of friends, both the people I met and traded with in person, and of course a large number of what I call "fake internet friends" that you find at all on-line communities, who you get to know but may never encounter in person. Plus being a community of just two states we were all much closer geographically to one another.

It was the one singular place I posted. Spent WAY too much time there, but loved it. Now I post at 4-5 gun forums, at least one car forum, a political forum, and read too much damn news.

Any chance Zoid would be know on the 2nd or 3rd of these forums? I don't think I was associated with the 1st.

Just curios.

Sounds like a parallel universe to more recent occurrences . . . . . .

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Any chance Zoid would be know on the 2nd or 3rd of these forums? I don't think I was associated with the 1st.

Just curios.

Sounds like a parallel universe to more recent occurrences . . . . . .
CFF became CSC about 6 years ago. When a media company bought CSC and NCGO a lot of folks left to start CFF. All in the Carolinas.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Both.

I see guys post the same info on Addicts, Fanatics, IG Business Facebook, Personal Facebook and on and on and on.

The Collector

Active Fanatic
I feel like I'm walking with one foot on the curb and the other in the gutter . . . .

I've recently been able to poke my head out of a very dark place and begin to engage in my hobbies a bit. I have a new build that I have started. I really want to post up documentation of that journey, and of a bunch of smaller improvements I have been making to my other guns.

I have never been one to engage in duplicate posting across multiple sites, especially if there are strong parallels in readership. Which brings me to my dillema . . . .

Here . . . . or There?

You will be ....... wherever you are.

And we will feel your presence.

Dwe

Well-Known Fanatic
I myself see a difference in the other place. Stuff that makes me uncomfortable.
Disappearing threads, folks posting PMs to make their point. More folks calling others out. Folks joining only with the purpose of using the site to promote their products or sell their guns. Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the market place, I just wish it took more time and posts to be able to sell your goods over there.
I guess It's hard to quantify. Like it or not, the new ownership can be felt over there.

This place feels more like home in some ways, and what attracted me over there in the first place. So keep it up Staff/Owners.

For the time being I will be splitting time between the two.
But I'm starting to feel like I have one foot over here and the other on a banana peal.

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic

Here . . . . or There?

Here, your posts may be the only reason many still go there... lol

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
If this site can remain focused on the topic near and dear to our hearts - the 1911 - and avoid running off in multiple directions to be everything to anyone who wants to bloviate about something else, I'll stay with it. Two of the "other" sites (TOOS,TOOOS,??) seem to be getting more contentious and off topic. Let's focus on providing solid information to those seeking it -to the best of our abilities- without getting into individual vendettas.