Critique my in home practice

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I'm running my shot timer on par mode.

3.5 seconds to draw, get a good sight picture on my wall clock, reload, and reacquire sight picture. Then another 2 seconds to reload again and finish with a good sight picture. Please critique my technique and let me know of any other good in home practice methods. Also, post your own in home practice videos for all to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGzJLYRxDY

when are you ever going to draw, shoot one shot, and then reload. break down your practices. dry fire one thing; draws for example.

and you need to ATTACK the grip of the gun.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Cyrwus means that you need to draw faster. You should be pulling the gun from the holster before the end of the beep. You obviously know the proper technique for the draw now get the lead out and grip it and rip it!

Chambers

actual GM
Rack your slide after each rep and actually prep and press the shot on the draw. Watch what the front sight does when the trigger breaks.

Like Mike said, attack the gun. It's basically what it sounds like...shove your hand down on top of the gun. Your hand will slide up the backstrap and you'll get a consistent high grip a lot faster.

At the beginning of the vid you were reloading pretty far away from the body, but you got closer towards the end (and faster). It's hard to thread a needle at arms length. Find where it's comfortable.

Check out Kurt's post in the RNT section, too, it's good stuff.

Chambers

actual GM
Best tip I have to get some professional training, and for that you need to go to TDSA's ACP 1 course.

A whole bunch of BS'ers have taken it lately and are off to the races!

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I have taken David Elderton's pistol course at Heartland and that was a very informative class. I have also heard good things about AP1 at TDSA. My first time to shoot a pistol was at my CCW course through carry legal (an affiliate of TDSA) and the techniques taught there are not very good for competition shooting (or maybe it was the way I executed their teachings). I'll have to save up quite a bit to take AP1 though

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Chambers is 100% correct. The sooner you can take that 1000 rounds you just bought from the group buy and shoot them all in a class with professional eyes watching you the sooner you will be on the right track. The trigger manipulation that a class will grind into your subconscious is used for all 3 gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun.

The reps you hey in a two day class is where it's at.

imacgyver

Founding Member
I was about to get my belt on and do some mag changes on video - then I realized my baby is in the shop :( - man that is like the 8th time I've done that this month!

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I've tried practicing with the given recommendations and went into a room with a blank wall per KurtM's post. I was just doing presentations with one dry fire per rep. However, I found it difficult to ATTACK the grip without moving my upper body. Any insight on this problem?

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Good post. I just got finished doing some of this. I don't have a timer to go by, I'm not as good looking and I make some pretty strange faces so I am not posting my video. It looks like a lot of good information here I can use. One thing I wasn't shoving my hand down on the back strap and more times than not, I don't get the magazine release down very well, or for that matter inserting the magainze. One thing for sure, I find myself trying to muscle things around and once I relax I find it so much smoother.

Latest posts