CMP 1911s

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I haven't seen mention much on the forum about the CMP 1911's.

Has anyone ever purchased one from the CMP? Is it difficult to qualify?

What about grades are they still just a crapshoot?

CMP1911LogoDraft_Grayscale.jpg

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Not really difficult to qualify, but a lot of paperwork.
TOOS has a crap ton of info

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have not purchased one. Probably won't as I'd be looking for "a shooter" (like the M1 Garands) and consider them "over priced" for that desire.

Subjective call on "qualifying" to purchase one. There are a few "loops to jump through" but whether that's too much is up to your decision. (See the CMP website for qualification details).

Yes. This first year's sale, saw a little over twice the "demand" verses the available "supply" that could be sold. So that was the first 'luck of the draw' hurdle that had to be crossed. The next 'luck of the draw' had to do with what "Grade" pistol was available at the time your random order number was up, for selection. [The under lying premise being, the highest grade (Service grade) pistols would be chosen first].

I am waiting to see some pictures posted of the various grades in order to access what kind of condition they'll be in. (Not sure we'll see any "poor" condition pistols posted, however).

Last edited:

SirWillim

New Fanatic
There was a one month window in September 2018 where you could submit an order request. As of now, that was the only way you can purchase one (or via auction if the cmp ever puts some up) If you weren't one of the 19000-odd applications submitted for the roughly 6500 pistols deemed fit for sale, you're out of luck. The cmp website has details.

I applied and received a number low enough to guarantee myself a pistol. Hoops were no more than what it was to buy a Garand; just had to do it again as the Garand and 1911 sales are separate legal entities

Bill

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I figured I would buy one after they hit the market the 3rd time and prices drop a bit.

When the M45s with the logo scratched out hit the market it was crazy. But now they are selling at reasonable prices once the hype died down.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think they were. I was just using that as an example of hype and inflated prices.
I see. Guess I don't know anything about them (those were Marine Corps issued, made by Colt, right?). Who was responsible for releasing them? Why the logo scratched off (that's crazy)? Was that just a "one time" sale? And how many were sold to the civilian market? What was their initial offering price (just one price, no matter the condition)?

Last edited:

LoneOak

Fanatic
This is the report currently posted on the CMP website as of Jan, 8 2019----

SOLD OUT - NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDERS!
1911 UPDATE- JANUARY 8, 2019
We are working on assigning the random numbers to the 19,000 packets we have received and notifying every one of their number. Due to software issues and technical difficulties this is taking longer than anticipated. We are also having problems with the NIC's system, we are working closely with the FBI NICs team & ATF to rectify this problem.

– PLEASE BE PATIENT! It may be March before everyone is notified of their random number.

Please DO NOT CONTACT US ASKING WHAT YOUR NUMBER IS.

As we process orders, we will call customers as we work through the list. Once we receive payment information it may be up to 90 days before your pistol is shipped. Once it is shipped, you will receive an email stating it has been shipped and to notify your FFL that it will be delivered the next day. We only ship Monday – Thursday. Before contacting CMP 1911 asking where your pistol is, please contact your FFL first to see if it was delivered.

**If your information has changed (you have moved or your FFL has gone out of business), tell the sales person that contacts you what the change is and we will make the change. **

** If you have changed your email address, telephone number or whatever, send an email to: [email protected], if you have already received your RGN number please include it in the email as it will make it easier to locate your packet. **

** If you have not received your RGN number, WE CAN NOT GO THROUGH 19,000 PACKETS TRYING TO FIND YOUR PACKET TO MAKE THE CHANGE, we will put the information in our files and make every effort to marry it up to your packet but there are no guarantees.

Just because you receive an RGN number does not mean your packet has been accepted or is complete. Everyone will be notified if their order packet was not accepted so please be patient and bear with us.

WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDER PACKETS

The bulk of these pistols have all been through at least one rebuild in its life and 99% are mix-masters of parts and have been refinished. We will not trade slides or receivers, what you get is what you get. If you are not happy your only option is to return the pistol and we will refund your money.

Auction sales will not begin until late 2019 or later and will be announced on our web site.

Please check our website for updates - http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/.

Thank you for your patience and support.

So from the way I read this, noone has received a gun yet and if your not one of the few to have all your paperwork submitted you ain't going to get one for a while. If you have all the paperwork filed and it has been accepted it might still be months before you ever get a gun.

Dimedog

Fanatic
This is the report currently posted on the CMP website as of Jan, 8 2019----

SOLD OUT - NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDERS!
1911 UPDATE- JANUARY 8, 2019
We are working on assigning the random numbers to the 19,000 packets we have received and notifying every one of their number. Due to software issues and technical difficulties this is taking longer than anticipated. We are also having problems with the NIC's system, we are working closely with the FBI NICs team & ATF to rectify this problem.

– PLEASE BE PATIENT! It may be March before everyone is notified of their random number.

Please DO NOT CONTACT US ASKING WHAT YOUR NUMBER IS.

As we process orders, we will call customers as we work through the list. Once we receive payment information it may be up to 90 days before your pistol is shipped. Once it is shipped, you will receive an email stating it has been shipped and to notify your FFL that it will be delivered the next day. We only ship Monday – Thursday. Before contacting CMP 1911 asking where your pistol is, please contact your FFL first to see if it was delivered.

**If your information has changed (you have moved or your FFL has gone out of business), tell the sales person that contacts you what the change is and we will make the change. **

** If you have changed your email address, telephone number or whatever, send an email to: [email protected], if you have already received your RGN number please include it in the email as it will make it easier to locate your packet. **

** If you have not received your RGN number, WE CAN NOT GO THROUGH 19,000 PACKETS TRYING TO FIND YOUR PACKET TO MAKE THE CHANGE, we will put the information in our files and make every effort to marry it up to your packet but there are no guarantees.

Just because you receive an RGN number does not mean your packet has been accepted or is complete. Everyone will be notified if their order packet was not accepted so please be patient and bear with us.

WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDER PACKETS

The bulk of these pistols have all been through at least one rebuild in its life and 99% are mix-masters of parts and have been refinished. We will not trade slides or receivers, what you get is what you get. If you are not happy your only option is to return the pistol and we will refund your money.

Auction sales will not begin until late 2019 or later and will be announced on our web site.

Please check our website for updates - http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/.

Thank you for your patience and support.

So from the way I read this, noone has received a gun yet and if your not one of the few to have all your paperwork submitted you ain't going to get one for a while. If you have all the paperwork filed and it has been accepted it might still be months before you ever get a gun.

What a total PITA........
Why bother?

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're young and live long enough and the program continues to be renewed year-by-year, you'll probably be able to get one.

They got 19K "packets" (first year offering). They got at least 100K pistols in storage (by some estimates, considerably more). This is likely at least a ten year program for CMP (assuming it continues to get annual authorization).

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I'll wait! Not worth the trouble or the cost.

Edit: I do not understand why they won't sell them out of the CMP stores?! Makes no sense to me. If they took a few hundred to Camp Perry they would sell quickly.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
What I found interesting about Bill's (SirWillim) post was his numbers. This first Government Fiscal Year (GFY), the CMP received 8K pistols. According to Bill's post (#5) only 6500 were in condition to be sold. That means the CMP had almost a twenty percent (18.75%) fall off of apparently receiving pure junk (that could not be sold; or otherwise had to be cannibalized).

The law that approved CMP handling these 1911s, approved "up to" 10K units per year to be sold. This first year, they were limited to 8K units. [Of course, keeping in mind the ORIGINAL purpose in selling off these 1911s was to eliminate the government having to pay for their storage! So naturally since it's a quasi-government program, the first thing the government does is, step in and SLOW down the process of eliminating the storage costs!]. Your government @ work! [emoji849]

But I guess, after all, they DO have to make room to store all the Berettas for the next 30 - 50 years!

Last edited:

Dimedog

Fanatic
What I found interesting about Bill's (SirWillim) post was his numbers. This first Government Fiscal Year (GFY), the CMP received 8K pistols. According to Bill's post (#5) only 6500 were in condition to be sold. That means the CMP had almost a twenty percent (18.75%) fall off of apparently receiving pure junk (that could not be sold; or otherwise had to be cannibalized).

The law that approved CMP handling these 1911s, approved "up to" 10K units per year to be sold. This first year, they were limited to 8K units. [Of course, keeping in mind the ORIGINAL purpose in selling off these 1911s was to eliminate the government having to pay for their storage! So naturally since it's a quasi-government program, the first thing the government does is, step in and SLOW down the process of eliminating the storage costs!]. Your government @ work! [emoji849]

But I guess, after all, they DO have to make room to store all the Berettas for 30 - 50 years!
And then add all of the expense of sorting hoops and paperwork/ manhours to do it, and I'm sure its a total loss even after the hassle