Cheapest, bestest AR15 you've seen

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Rick Howell said:
Spike's have built receivers from at least 2 different manufacturers forgings. (Or contracted from 2 different manufacturers).

Font, color, other markings are a indicator. What you can't see from the picture is the Magwell bevels, forging/machining marks, and one is a high shelf the other a low shelf.
yeah I think one of the more confusing things for new people is how opaque the manufacturing process is.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
The vast majority of forged lowers come from the same company. Then they are machined and resold by dealers like spikes tactical.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Spencer said:
The vast majority of forged lowers come from the same company. Then they are machined and resold by dealers like spikes tactical.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what the number is now, but at one time there were four manufacturers that made up the majority of the forged receivers. It is pretty obvious that Spikes move to a different manufacture for one of the above lots. These were purchased within a year. It wasn't because one of the manufacturers went out of business at that time. The political environment was generating plenty of sales at that time.

Edit:
The same thing is going on in the billet market. For instance, Cross Machine Tactical is building for companies with much more recognizable names in the industry.

topher3134

New Fanatic
The forging only happens at certain places because forges are huge. Machining happened in a few other places. You would be surprised to know that the Daniel defense lower and upper is often times made in the same place as a few others U put down. I say spend as least as you have to on buffer tube, upper, lower, and lpk. Then spend your money on bcg, barrel, trigger, comp, spring system, and guard of your choice. Then spend money on ammo and optics. Go train. Enjoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
There is incredibly little useful information in this thread. Let's hear specifics about real-life experiences. Manufacturer names, model numbers, parts that failed. Parts that were cheap as hell and great quality.

I got an Anderson LPK a few years ago. The finish on the mag catch and takedown pins was awful: chalky, inconsistent, mottled. It had two front takedown pins instead of a front and a rear. The mag catch was too large to fit into the reciever, so I had to hand file it flat and refinish it. I ordered a DPMS rear takedown pin to flesh out the kit, and it was excellent. Every DPMS part I have ever used has been low cost and excellent quality. Every Brownell's branded part I have used has been good value and quality.

I had a cheap 16" Del-Ton governemnt profile non-chrome-lined barrel with excellent parkerizing that shot sub-1/2 MOA when free-floated. **** was lit, fam.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
I've used lots of anderson lowers and psa kits without problem.

The one spike's gun I built was even better.

My 6.8 SPC PSA kit + Anderson lower has killed deer.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
now that i have a source for $55 stripped Aero uppers, my concerns are less urgent but i like the turn this thread is taking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Mitch Gibson said:
There is incredibly little useful information in this thread. Let's hear specifics about real-life experiences. Manufacturer names, model numbers, parts that failed. Parts that were cheap as hell and great quality.

I got an Anderson LPK a few years ago. The finish on the mag catch and takedown pins was awful: chalky, inconsistent, mottled. It had two front takedown pins instead of a front and a rear. The mag catch was too large to fit into the reciever, so I had to hand file it flat and refinish it. I ordered a DPMS rear takedown pin to flesh out the kit, and it was excellent. Every DPMS part I have ever used has been low cost and excellent quality. Every Brownell's branded part I have used has been good value and quality.

I had a cheap 16" Del-Ton governemnt profile non-chrome-lined barrel with excellent parkerizing that shot sub-1/2 MOA when free-floated. **** was lit, fam.
That's what I'm talking bout! I kinda figured at some point somebody biggish like DPMS would throw down some $350 ARs so we'd all be forced to buy two more just because.

Sounds like I need to get done Andersen lowers and a few PTAC uppers to try as well as a Sportical or two.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
DPMS isn't the same company it used to be. They have now completely become Remington even so far as moving from MN to AL.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
That's what I'm talking bout! I kinda figured at some point somebody biggish like DPMS would throw down some $350 ARs so we'd all be forced to buy two more just because.

Sounds like I need to get done Andersen lowers and a few PTAC uppers to try as well as a Sportical or two.
I've never actually used a PTAC gun. I've used the freedom line of guns.

PTAC had a really rough start.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had good results from PSA lowers, uppers and parts kits. They've all gone bang reliably. The basic lower parts in my main rifle are PSA and it runs consistently.

I never messed with any of the PTAC line. The regular PSA stuff isn't much more expensive and it's always worked for me.

I've also built a few basic Del-Ton guns and they ran well from the get go.

dennishoddy

I may be totally wrong, but I suspect a garage gunsmith drilled out the gas port in an attempt to overcome some perceived
Cycling issue?

Latest posts