Cheapest, bestest AR15 you've seen

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
The real question should be: What is the cheapest barrel you are willing to put up with?

PSA has some barrels under $80.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
I do an 80% lower exclusively, but I have access to a manual mill and now a cnc.

To me it comes down to mil spec. If the parts truly are mil spec, and u use plenty of oil, it will shoot. If you are storing them to charge people way more money when the supply runs out who cares what they are. (side not I say go for it. It's their fault they didn't plan ahead)

If your storing to defend your home or family when SHTF think about actual situations where you would use it. Anything that shoots minute of human at 100 yards would be plenty sufficient. We all already have 1 or 2 "good" ARs that we can reach out to 500 semi affectively. All the others will be used for up close and personal work.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
benny hill said:
You cannot use the word "cheap" and "good" in the same sentence.
so this is related to a question that I have, as a budget-minded individual: what parts can you skimp on without losing too much value (performance, durability, accuracy)?

I've been told that, apart from cosmetics, one lower receiver is as good as another as long as everything is in spec. Likewise for LPKs other than the trigger.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
dr poopgiggle said:
so this is related to a question that I have, as a budget-minded individual: what parts can you skimp on without losing too much value (performance, durability, accuracy)?
Pins & detents

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
dr poopgiggle said:

I've been told that, apart from cosmetics, one lower receiver is as good as another as long as everything is in spec. Likewise for LPKs other than the trigger.
The shooter.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I meant, can I get away with a $50 Anderson upper receiver instead of a $100-ish one from Spikes or something (I've had trouble finding Aero stripped uppers recently).

But it's good to know that not springing for gold-plated titanium pivot & takedown pins won't get me killed during the zombie apocalypse.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Honestly, I've never been of the "all recievers are the same" crowd. I truly believe you get what you pay for & when you buy ****, you end up with ****. I've seen some of the so called "same" receivers fail, & can honestly say I've not seen that of any of the brands they are supposed to be "the same as".

I actually try to stay away from these threads because most of the time people don't actually want an answer, they just want agreement that they should buy the cheapest parts available.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Wall said:
Honestly, I've never been of the "all recievers are the same" crowd. I truly believe you get what you pay for & when you buy ****, you end up with ****. I've seen some of the so called "same" receivers fail, & can honestly say I've not seen that of any of the brands they are supposed to be "the same as".
See that's the kind of **** I want to know.

I think we all know that money spent on guns is subject to diminishing returns. I'm just trying to figure out what that curve looks like.

"finish might be uneven or the T-marks might not be centered" is fine, "machining might be off or the part might fail sooner" isn't. Googling around mostly yields Arfcom threads where people either repeat aphorisms like "buy once cry once" or they say "I DON'T CHEAP OUT ON WEAPONS I CARRY INTO BATTLE AT THE MALL" which isn't really helpful.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The established companies tend to cost more because they put more into their products. Companies can save tons of $ when they let their customers be the QA dept. Most people will simply ***** quietly and replace a failed part rather than go through the hassle of often non-existent customer service.

Spending a lot of $ doesn't guarantee you'll get a great product, but spending the minimum possible will guarantee that you won't.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Wall said:
The established companies tend to cost more because they put more into their products. Companies can save tons of $ when they let their customers be the QA dept. Most people will simply ***** quietly and replace a failed part rather than go through the hassle of often non-existent customer service.

Spending a lot of $ doesn't guarantee you'll get a great product, but spending the minimum possible will guarantee that you won't.
BOOM!

posted via Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm sure there will be someone to come along here shortly to tell about the fantastic AR they built for $150, & how they never ever never have any problems (except......), which is why I try to stay away from commenting on these type of threads.

Buy ****, expect ****.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
okey doke

to be clear, I wanted to make sure I'm spending money for part quality and not just for a BCM or Spike's rollmark

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I commented because I know you're smart enough to ask questions for information rather than self validation.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
dr poopgiggle said:
"finish might be uneven or the T-marks might not be centered" is fine, "machining might be off or the part might fail sooner" isn't. .
If the manufacturer does a half-ass job on those items you can readily see, how could you ever expect those things that can not seen are properly done? Of course I know that perfect T-marks and finish does not mean I have perfect receiver. But I know if they don't care enough about the obvious and still put their name one it, the likely didn't care with the rest of the process.

In my fictional company, if there are appearance defects in the unit, it would not leave with the company name on it. Destroy it and remove it from the books.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
dr poopgiggle said:
okey doke

to be clear, I wanted to make sure I'm spending money for part quality and not just for a BCM or Spike's rollmark
Spike's have built receivers from at least 2 different manufacturers forgings. (Or contracted from 2 different manufacturers).

Font, color, other markings are a indicator. What you can't see from the picture is the Magwell bevels, forging/machining marks, and one is a high shelf the other a low shelf.
bd5b5a7767ea832bf86f9c37920de5b4.gif

Latest posts