Cheapest, bestest AR15 you've seen

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I bought my first AR15 in 2009 after Obama got elected. I couldn't find anything back then. I ended up with a S&W M&P15R which is their 5.45x39 gun. I never thought I'd see AR's less then the $649 the DPMS sportical was going for back then.

Now the sportical is down to $499!
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/dpms-sportical-223-semiautomatic-centerfire-rifle

And companies like Radical Firearms are selling theirs with a 12" free float tube, low profile gas block and an ergo grip for the same price.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/radical-firearm-16-5-56-m4-1-7-complete-rifle-with-12-fgs-round-rail-detail.html?Itemid=0&utm_source=Atlantic+Firearms+Sales+Flyer+Oct+6th+2016&utm_campaign=Mar+21+2013+eblast&utm_medium=email

So I ask what's the least expensive & best built AR you've seen lately???

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
PSA has a kit for $350 and anderson mfg lowers have been as low as $35 shipped.

So cheapest is under $400 and still goes bang.

jtischauser

Spencer said:
PSA has a kit for $350 and anderson mfg lowers have been as low as $35 shipped.

So cheapest is under $400 and still goes bang.
Is that PSA kit assembled? Most people don't know where the mag goes much less how to build an AR.

Next time you see $35 lowers please post a link or send me a PM.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
gf wants an AR so I've been pricing budget weekend-warrior-tier stuff. everyone who's on a budget seems to be mad about PSA.

if you wait for what you want to come up on PSA's daily deal rotation, you can get an AR that goes bang for ~$450, though you'll need a bit more for a rear sight. you can save more if you're willing to get something made by Radical or PTAC, and/or you're willing to get a 16" upper with carbine gas

The upper will probably end up being a mid-tier PSA thing; I'll report back in a month or so when it's built.

E: I've been told that you get significant savings by building your own lower, because the manufacturer pays excise tax on a $55 lower instead of a $500 rifle. $6 vs $55.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I built my wife a rifle with PSA daily deal parts and a blem Anderson lower for about $450.

Actually came out halfway decent with a 15in free float hand gaurd over a 16in stainless lightweight barrel, and ergo grip.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
one caution is to keep an eye on your credit card statement if you order from PSA

CC information has been stolen from them in the past.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Is that PSA kit assembled? Most people don't know where the mag goes much less how to build an AR.

Next time you see $35 lowers please post a link or send me a PM.
Unassembled, but building an AR is easy.

$35 was awhile ago but I think the cheapest for the anderson mfg lowers might be $50 now. Fat Boy Tactical sells them.

Also, PTAC > Radical. PSA's customer service is slow, but if you get one of the crappy barrels that keyholes all the time, they should replace it.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
daily deal blem assembled lowers are also cheap. I think they had them for $170 yesterday, which is about what a cheapo lower + parts kit + basic carbine stock kit costs

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I usually build all of mine, but the prices of some of the pre assembled uppers almost makes it a no-brainer as long as the handguard is decent.

jtischauser

Spencer said:

$35 was awhile ago but I think the cheapest for the anderson mfg lowers might be $50 now. Fat Boy Tactical sells them.

Also, PTAC > Radical. PSA's customer service is slow, but if you get one of the crappy barrels that keyholes all the time, they should replace it.
Id rather smash my wiener with a hammer then buy from Fat Fuâ'¬Â£ Tactical.

What is PTAC.

Building an AR is easy after watching lots of YouTube videos and doing 5 or more. A first time AR owner doesn't have a clue where the mag goes.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
PTAC is PSA's budget brand. When it first came out, they had some bad quality issues with the barrels, but it's a little better now. PSA also has a freedom line now, and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Cope's Distributing has lower receivers in stock for $50 right now.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/anderson-stripped-lower-receivers-p-7372.html

ETA: If you wanna be super budget conscious but don't want a PTAC barrel, buy the PTAC kit and the barrel you want then switch them and sell the PTAC barrel.

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
Spencer said:

I haven't heard anything bad about radical and their customer service is supposed to be pretty damn good so not sure what makes PTACs better versus radical. I was looking at getting one of their 3 gun uppers when they were on sale just a few month ago. I'm not trying to fan boy or anything i don't own one just curious what you might have heard or seen that made you say PTACs were better. Just seems your getting more bang for you buck with a radical ar15 for $560.

jtischauser

Spencer said:
PTAC is PSA's budget brand. When it first came out, they had some bad quality issues with the barrels, but it's a little better now. PSA also has a freedom line now, and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Cope's Distributing has lower receivers in stock for $50 right now.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/anderson-stripped-lower-receivers-p-7372.html

ETA: If you wanna be super budget conscious but don't want a PTAC barrel, buy the PTAC kit and the barrel you want then switch them and sell the PTAC barrel.
PSA has a budget brand. That's what PSA is! Shopping at PSA and saying this stuff is too pricey is like going to goodwill and saying this stuff is too nice!

Fleche

Well-Known Fanatic
My credit card has been much happier since I moved and no longer drive past PSA every evening. I've built a dozen or so with their parts and the PTAC is definitely the budget line. It works. I like Radical uppers a little better for the budget builds after doing a few of them.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
PSA has a budget brand. That's what PSA is! Shopping at PSA and saying this stuff is too pricey is like going to goodwill and saying this stuff is too nice!
PSA has a chrome-lined premium kit for $470 with free shipping for today's daily deal.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/16-m4a1-chrome-lined-mp-tested-rifle-kit.html

stainless steel freedom barrel kit for $400: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-rifle-kit.html

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Military vets can build an AR directly from Aero Precision for ~$600 with their discount

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I said the cheap best AR. Just looking for something that isn't junk that's cheap. Since I'm gonna be burying these in an Undisclosed location come November.
Well what is cheap?

$400? $500? $600?

If we go higher in price, there are lots of manufacturers with "cheap" good guns. Aero, Spike's, etc.

Currently, the absolute cheapest I've found is the PSA PTAC kit. It goes bang every time as long as you don't put the trigger spring in backwards like I tend to do.

Latest posts