Case stuck in chamber

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
R.Pullicar.jr said:
It's step down to reduce case volume to help make power factor.....
It's actually to stop bullet setback. Afraid of a kaboom I guess. All you need to make PF is add powder.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry for the wait everyone, but I've got this thing fixed now. I trashed a .45 bronze brush in the process; BUT the tap method worked great so thank you Tooth and Nail for that suggestion!

Flatland Shooter said:
I'm still building my first 9mm AR so have not had this problem yet.

What size tap would you recommend? A 3/8" fine thread tapered tap? It would be good to have one on hand just in case.

I spent the better part of an hour searching for a 9mm broken shell extractor and I don't think anyone has it on the market.

(I've carried a 5.56 broken shell extractor in my 3-gun toolbox for years and have never had the chance to use it, but if I need it, its there.)
I used a 3/8-24 taper tap, and threaded it in nice and easy by hand with a 5/16 socket on an extension. I had to be careful not to go too far and bite into my chamber. Once the tap was seated I ran a wooden dowel rod down the muzzle and gave it a nice love tap with a hammer.

I also finished a beer during the process.

Attachments

• IMG_20160830_154422207.jpg
    IMG_20160830_154422207.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 23

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
My buddy has had several case separations in his cheap just right carbine with freedom munitions. Then last night I read someone complaining on freedoms Facebook post about case separations in a carbine so I'm guessing this is gonna be a common problem with their brass and carbines

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
R.Pullicar.jr said:
My buddy has had several case separations in his cheap just right carbine with freedom munitions. Then last night I read someone complaining on freedoms Facebook post about case separations in a carbine so I'm guessing this is gonna be a common problem with their brass and carbines
Interesting.....glad I load all my own ammo.
I wonder if it's a looser chamber or less dwell time or what. My guess would be the dwell time.
I've not had any problems with my carbine. But I've only shot ammo that I've loaded.
I'd be willing to run a mag or 2 of freedom through it to test though.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Btw, I use bulk range brass and I don't separate it. So, chances are I've shot more than a few of these cases.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
Btw, I use bulk range brass and I don't separate it. So, chances are I've shot more than a few of these cases.
Same here. Can't say I've seen one but I haven't been looking either.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
MikeF said:
I'm not on your level yet Tony. One beer for a 20 minute job is par for me.
20 min? Yeah, you're going to have to step up your game.
That job could have been easily stretched to about 3 or 4 beers, depending on how many friends were there in the workshop. Hell, given the right company, that job might have taken all evening.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Wall said:
20 min? Yeah, you're going to have to step up your game.
That job could have been easily stretched to about 3 or 4 beers, depending on how many friends were there in the workshop. Hell, given the right company, that job might have taken all evening.
That's the American way.

Latest posts