Carry Gun Match - Heartland Outdoors 5-20-12

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I know this issue has been raised before and that is why various categories were created to accomodate any type of gun/setup someone wanted to use. For example, there is an "Other" category for race guns, etc. and other categories that accomodate Lo-cap, Hi-cap, snubbies, etc.

There are no prizes based on 1st, 2nd and 3rd place so no rig or setup has an advantage of any kind on prizes that are handed out... and the scoring is provided on overall results as well as results by category. The only preferential treatment in terms of prizes is that one of the gift certificates is designated as "concealed carry" shooters only... which last night translated into a 1 in 5 chance of winning a $50 gift certificate.

For me personally, I'm competing against myself anyway... trying to shoot smoother, faster and more accurately each time.

I'm really struggling to see the "harm" caused by having an inclusive match that everyone can shoot at. I was introduced to this match about a year ago as a brand new shooter and really appreciated the open and friendly atmosphere. I know there have been and continue to be many new shooters introduced to our sport through this match so I wouldn't want to do anything to spoil that or to limit what someone has to shoot. There are many more matches out there with lots of prescribed rules... I hope this will always be a match that is open to all shooters... especially new shooters to the sport.

Perhaps we should rename this match the "Defensive / Carry Gun Match" so we remove any controversy or expectation that you must shoot from a concealed carry position. We'll be an open carry state beginning in November so it seems to be mute point anyway.

I mean no offense by my comments... just wanted to add my two cents on why this match is great just the way it is.

Respectfully,

Paul

There isn't any harm and no offense taken or intended. I do think that anyone who carries a gun for self defense should practice with the gun they carry and the way they carry it. This match is one of the very few that allows you to do that. Myself and others have found that what we thought were great carry guns or holsters really weren't when you run them with a little timed stress thrown in the mix. The original intent of the match was for carry guns to be used. Several enjoy shooting in the other category and that's great too. My fear is that someone may carry something like a snub and shoot the match with say a Glock 34. I'd hate to see them not be as competent with the snub as they might have been if they should ever really need it to defend themselves. But....as Burk can attest, this is the dead horse I continue to ride. To each their own, the match accommodates all shooters and that's a good thing.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
  1. Thanks to David for putting on a great match
  2. Thanks to Benjamin for keeping the scores.
  3. Thanks to my Kevin Shufran for running the score sheets on the squad I was on.

IMO... This is a great match. I first came to this match because I went to watch a match at H&H and asked about a 1000 questions of the people on the squad I chose to watch.
One of the people competing in that match said "You should have brought a gun and Shot",
I said "I Brought a gun but didn't know I needed a holster that covered the trigger gauard"
He said. "What kind of gun? , I bet someone will loan you a holster."
He found someone to loan me a holster and they let me shoot the last stage of the match, after the squad was done... I think they wanted to see if I was going to be safe or do something stupid. After the match a different guy said "You might try the match at Heartland next Sunday, It is a carrygun match"
I went the next week and have been to everyone I was in town for since.
No one laughs at me(unless I do something funny, like just standing still trying to decide whether to reload now or later) and everyone tries to help each other. Kind like this site does as well.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
IMO... This is a great match. I first came to this match because I went to watch a match at H&H and asked about a 1000 questions of the people on the squad I chose to watch.
One of the people competing in that match said "You should have brought a gun and Shot",
I said "I Brought a gun but didn't know I needed a holster that covered the trigger gauard"
He said. "What kind of gun? , I bet someone will loan you a holster."
He found someone to loan me a holster and they let me shoot the last stage of the match, after the squad was done... I think they wanted to see if I was going to be safe or do something stupid. After the match a different guy said "You might try the match at Heartland next Sunday, It is a carrygun match"
I went the next week and have been to everyone I was in town for since.
No one laughs at me(unless I do something funny, like just standing still trying to decide whether to reload now or later) and everyone tries to help each other. Kind like this site does as well.

yup this is a great match and i especially appreciate how safe and professional you are during the matches.. I always tell people how safe you are (and were even as a new shooter).. it is nice to have people like yourself that really focus on safety and listen to RO's... agreed with everything you said!

also want to comment on stage design, i have to say that david does a great job of balancing the idea of providing a challenge, but not to the point that people feel overwhelmed or feel like the shots are beyond their skill. It is not easy to create a match for 3 inch snubby's and 5 inch 1911!!! the stages are always fun, but not frustrating. thanks again for all the hard work from david.. also thanks to Mack for providing "steel" targets to make the match fun!! lastly thanks to burk for giving me some eye candy to look at...

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
i got to get my calander up to date for this match. It is a fun match and educational as well.
I hope to stay off the road for a while and get back to shooting this match. Sorry i missed it.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
yup this is a great match and i especially appreciate how safe and professional you are during the matches.. I always tell people how safe you are (and were even as a new shooter).. it is nice to have people like yourself that really focus on safety and listen to RO's... agreed with everything you said!

also want to comment on stage design, i have to say that david does a great job of balancing the idea of providing a challenge, but not to the point that people feel overwhelmed or feel like the shots are beyond their skill. It is not easy to create a match for 3 inch snubby's and 5 inch 1911!!! the stages are always fun, but not frustrating. thanks again for all the hard work from david.. also thanks to Mack for providing "steel" targets to make the match fun!! lastly thanks to burk for giving me some eye candy to look at...

I cant wait till he wears shorts again.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy

As a part-time RO, I love shooters like Jeff Turner (among many others) that show a great desire for safety. I have noticed that some shooters get complacent and try to hurry and anticipate my commands. DON'T HURRY! On stages like the table start, it is tempting to get your gun out of the holster before the RO says to do so. DON'T ANTICIPATE...WAIT!

But....as Burk can attest, this is the dead horse I continue to ride. To each their own, the match accommodates all shooters and that's a good thing.

Keep beating that horse. Someone might listen to you someday :lol:

lastly thanks to burk for giving me some eye candy to look at...

whore

Looks like there are some names missing from the overall scores....David, Benjamin, LB, Feegee, John, and maybe more? Off the top of my head

For some reason "other" division didn't show up on the overall scores spreadsheet. David E requested that he not be scored

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
I had ammo issues on my last stage and didn't complete it.

I'm a little torn about about including my score anyway, being as its "my" match. I'm not sure if I'll have my scores included in the results, but I'll probably keep shooting it either way.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic

I'm a little torn about about including my score anyway, being as its "my" match. I'm not sure if I'll have my scores included in the results, but I'll probably keep shooting it either way.

"Other" division is going to be scored as a separate match from now on. Burk should've received those results, but I'll check.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks for the match, and also thanks for letting me shoot through! It sure was a super stress reliever to blast some rounds right before going to work for the entire night!

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic

David, you should shoot your match and be scored

1) To see how it's ACTUALY working
2) To have some fun
3) Try new stuff, 357mag revolver with mag loads was a hoot to watch
4) To give us worthy goals
5) To have some FUN

Wes

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
First match was a great time! Defiantly be back next time. Thanks to all for putting on the match. I can tell you all put alot of effort in for everyone! Thanks again for the good time!

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
I've posted the journey I took when I was deciding what kind of match to run, but due to new shooters joining us all the time and that it's been awhile since I've gone over it, let me do so now.

IPSC - bays too narrow, Open guns too loud.

IDPA - I gave this one a lot of consideration. There is currently no IDPA match in the OKC metro that I'm aware of, so that should be an immediate draw for shooters. I am a Charter Life Member of IDPA, ran two State IDPA matches, have won State titles in the (then) all 4 divisions, some multiple times, so I'm very familiar with IDPA. But things had changed, altho some rules have always been silly. I thought I could configure my stages to avoid silly rule issues. I called HQ to discuss affiliation and while I had them on the phone, I asked for a rule clarification, even tho the Rulebook was quite clear on the matter. Long story short, what the rule makers meant is not what they wrote. I will not be the guy who enforces a rule that is contrary to what the rule actually says. (Them- "but the rule says this! Me- "I know, but they meant this."). Nope, I'm not going to be that guy.

Revolver - OKCGC has trouble attracting enough revo shooters once every other month.

Rimfire - I think there is a demand for this, but previous efforts (and current efforts by others) shows that there apparently is not.

Bullseye - ROFLMAO! It's a worthy pursuit, but it ain't me!

Carrygun - it occurred to me that I'd go to a match, take off my carrygun, put on the match gun, shoot, then reverse the procedure before going home. So if I got into a serious situation, I wouldn't be shooting my match gun I shot earlier in the day, I'd shoot the gun that I hadn't shot for months, maybe longer. Years since I shot it at a match, if ever at a match.

Well, as Chris Rock would say, "that's just ig'nint."

So the Carrygun Match was born. It is intended to be a match where you can shoot your actual carry or defense gun in a competitive environment.

Things evolved to include pocketful calibers, to include .22 rimfire. They evolved further to allow semi-raceguns to compete in "Other" division, now to be its own, separately scored match. I might rename it "Combat Action Pistol," or, CAP. There are several reasons for this, one being I don't want to "pollute" the Carrygun scores by a non carrygun. If the first 3-5 spots are "Other" shooters and Shooter X has a match time of 50 seconds using a non-carrygun, the guy who shot it in 75 seconds using his Kahr P-9 from a concealed Ky-Tac BraveHeart, he might become disheartened and show up next match with a non-carrygun, too, so he can move up in the Overall.

This match was originally and still is intended to be a venue in which you can (should?) shoot your actual carry or defense gun(s) and be competitive. You'll learn a lot about your carrygun choice and associated gear. Better at the match than during a gunfight!

Feegee

The Magic Man
I see how it is Race gun segregation... I am now a minority. 😱😱
Great match!!! got to see some shooting buddy's And try out my new gun. I had a great time thank you Dave and Bengi

Good job Matt for 1st place.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?svnalm
Sent from (NULL) Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
If this discussion takes off I might move it into its own thread.

IDPA - I gave this one a lot of consideration. There is currently no IDPA match in the OKC metro that I'm aware of, so that should be an immediate draw for shooters. I am a Charter Life Member of IDPA, ran two State IDPA matches, have won State titles in the (then) 4 divisions, some multiple times, so I'm very familiar with IDPA. But things had changed, altho some rules have always been silly. I figured I could configure my stages to avoid silly rule issues. I called HQ to discuss affiliation and while I had them on the phone, I asked for a rule clarification, even tho the Rulebook was clear on the matter. Long story short, what the rule makers meant is not what they wrote. I will not be the guy who enforces a rule that is contrary to what the rule actually says. (Them- "but the rule says this! Me- "I know, but they meant this."). Nope, I'm not going to be that guy.

With the complete overhaul of the IDPA rulebook in progress, would you ever consider making this an IDPA match?