Carry ammunition.....45ACP....

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember well out 1st big range day, we had to qualify with all we carried then un announced with carry loadings, one, the same person failed both, never knew what was done from then on, a couple of females also had some issues with off duty guns, what I remember the most was the 3 of us that carried 1911's off duty as to the small groups we shot compared to the required at the time revolvers per policy, big difference. also we were the only ones to shoot clean all the courses with all firearms, now they get a choice of Glock or Sig 9's. What a come down, 357 mag, 357 Sig, 40, to 9mm! Back then I got grand fathered and kept the 357 SIG. All BT, GD or Ranger T.

Last edited:

Cruise

New Fanatic
Standard 230gr HST's for 45's and standard 147gr HST's for 9mm.
Agree with apipeguy. If you have to carry hardcast FP, Underwood ammo has a 255gr HCFP. You do have a lot of penetration w/hardcast so bear that in mind w/background of target.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
While my issued ammo stopped I did well by it and have seen the results of GD and Ranger T they work!
So for me those are it in any handgun, prior was Black Talons and still have some but would not carry it daily anymore as I used to. Stick with the others mentioned. Lots of good rounds out there these are what I like.

JoeDice

Fanatic
Remington Golden Sabers JHP...

I have a spare mag loaded with them at all times. I originally bought the box of 20 a few years ago when I bought my RIA full size 1911, and the Golden Sabers fed, cycled through, and shot on target without any problems at all. Good enough for me! :)

Nice choice! I think it's the broad, round head of the Golden Sabers that make this hollow point feed so well.

Another vote for Golden Saber , 147 gr. 9mm and the 185 gr. +P 45ACP.
Both preformed well for expansion and penetration in testing done by Lucky Gunner . They run perfectly in all my 1911s ,no failures to feed . My 9mm Colt Defender is ammo fussy , It does not like flat points at all , and also sometimes fails to feed Gold Dots but runs perfectly with the 124 or the 147 grain Golden Sabers.

Patriot007

Fanatic
Did I miss a good argument?

That's OK, I don't worry about 185 gr this or 230 gr that. I carry this in the 12,250 gr size...

vfM0K99.jpg

It's not much on range, but it hits like a brick. A very sharp brick.
My ancestors made that weapon Famous. Ask any Native American. Hair splitting, Effective.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Might be pretty old fashioned, but I still prefer the old 230 gr. Hardball for daily carry.

Latest posts