Buyer's guide for first 1911s Priced Below $1000

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
So many good quality 1911's available now. Bought my first in the early 80's..a New Colt gold Cup...after a few boxes of factory loads, front sight fell off.
Soon thereafter, bought a Springfield (very lightly used) and put $$$ modifying it. Quickly passed the GC in amount of $ invested. Had adj. sites added, then a good trigger job, finally had entire pistol hard chromed. Fast forward 30 yrs or so, recently had my gunsmith fit the barrel properly. Now, it's a heirloom piece that will be passed on, not sold.

I've owned over a dozen 1911's, in all sizes & many calibers. also @ different price points. I'll add that RIA's , while not "high end" 1911's, seem to be great 1911's for the price,. If you want " Made In USA " , Springfield , or Colt are your best options, IMO.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I forgot to add Kimber, Those new LW's and Custom 2's are well under 1000 bucks, American made, Kimbers seem to be love or hate thing, I have 6, all bought used and haven't had any trouble, my first a used Custom 2 in 45, shot IDPA with it for first 2-3 years I shot IDPA in CDP division, would still probably be shooting it but all my buddies shoot 9mm in esp division so I followed along, little cheaper but really like 45

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
So many that came in our store that bought 1911s said what parts do I need to change on it 1st, my reply was 'you choice of brands if you feel that way.'Saw that many times, I pushed STI Trojans and remember we sold 5 in a week all at $749 I can still account for 4 of them with original owners still shooting them the other went the Glock way as he was not comfortable with a 1911 cocked and locked, a used one can still be had for about that now, mine has been about flawless broke slide stop after 12 years is it and a free replacement in 2 days to me with 1 call. They are a lot of gun for the price and you do not need to change anything on them just shoot them.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm going to create a buyers guide for the starter 1911.

What do you think should be the focus price points? I'm targeting below $1000

So far I'm going to list the
  • Ruger SR1911 $800
  • ATI Firepower Xtreme 45ACP Military 1911 $450
  • American Classic II $700
I know there will be all the reviews and some say just save more for at least a Les, Nighthawk, or a Working Man's Gun....but these 1911's are out there. If you have any, feel free to share.

You get what you pay for.

GB has 1 or 2, used Beers for <$1500, which are a steal, considering they are both Hillsdales.

Suggest you buy American-made, which I am thinking that two of those on your list are not.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
On 1911's get what you want not a substitute and start changing parts, good ones are out there

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
Plus often it costs you more once you start customizing a cheap gun than if you just bought a mid-level to begin with. Nobody right now can beat Dan Wesson for the best gun at it's price point.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I have proven this is true many times. So easy to buy a "bargain" 1911 and all of a sudden its has over $1k invested in it. Problem is the bones are still a bargain pistol. I'm not refering to import 1911s either, I've owned only 1 non USA 1911, out of more than I care to admit too.
If you "want" a checkered grip frame buy a pistol with that treatment, ditto extended grip safety, night sights, etc etc.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Some people just like to tinker, I've had my Desert Eagle sent off for Black Nitride, had G10 grips on it but not kind I like so I changed to white Lok Grips, sights were fine but I wanted Dawson so I changed them, I know full well I have more in gun than I'll get out of it but it's the way I like it and the gun I wanted, nothing wrong with buying a 1911 that's pretty plain and customizing to how you want it and on the schedule you want to do it

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." nothing wrong with buying a 1911 that's pretty plain and customizing to how you want it and on the schedule you want to do it"

True, all of it...putting $ into a firearm you plan to keep isn't a problem.
The problem arises when someone has put $5-600 into a $400. pistol & believes it is now worth the $900 -$1K they have invested into it.
It's very rare that anyone would pay what someone has invested into a modified firearn.. not impossible, but very rare.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Apologize for getting away from topic but some do think they will get it all back, certainly agree with you but it's their problem, fortunately not mine or yours, big boys or girls and their money, probably won't do it but once unless planning on keeping, again agree with how some folks think about upgrades

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Very few guns besides a 1911 could I describe exactly what features I want, a 1911 I can easily, and they can be bought exactly that way with a warranty.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
surprising S&W has not been discussed here they seem to do very well

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Just my preferences I would go with Rock Island because they don't need anything out of box if you pick right model, fiber optics, magwell, G10 grips, decent trigger, then Desert Eagle and Kimber, the new LW Kimbers have fiber optic sights I think, they were 600 but haven't checked lately, Desert Eagles are just good, 3 dot sights that aren't terrible but if you want better have to do those yourself, honorable mention Metro Arms Classic 2 is good also, has cheap wooden grips but you can get G10 grips off Ebay for 30-32 bucks

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." honorable mention Metro Arms Classic 2.."
A coment on Metro Arms 1911's.. I purchased a new Commander sized Metro Arms Classic 1911 chambered in 9mm..
though a little more expensive than the Rock Island Armory, it featured a nicer finish and additional features I felt
were worth the additional cost. After owning it a short time, I was cleaning the barrel & noticed a spot in the rifling.
Thought it was a piece of lead, from shooting hard cast bullets. Couldn't scrub it off., so took barrel to my gunsmith for him to take a look.
He's got a large magnifying lens maybe 6" in dia., with a light ring around the lens. Was easy to see what I thought was a lead deposit,
was actually a crater in the barrel metal.
The barrel must have had a flaw or defect, causing a small area to separate from the barrel. I contacted Metro Arms about getting the barrel replaced,
describing what I'd found . The company apparently contracts out their repair services, so I contacted them about my issue. I was told that I had to return the entire pistol ( at my cost) and then they would examine the firearm & decide if the barrel should be replaced. After discovering that I could purchase a replacement barrel from my pistol from Midway for less than it'cost to return the pistol, I went that route. Decided if that's how Metro Arms stands behind their products, I won't be buying anymore from them. Your experience may vary, I've just shared mine.

Latest posts