Buyer's guide for first 1911s Priced Below $1000

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I'm going to create a buyers guide for the starter 1911.

What do you think should be the focus price points? I'm targeting below $1000

So far I'm going to list the
  • Ruger SR1911 $800
  • ATI Firepower Xtreme 45ACP Military 1911 $450
  • American Classic II $700
I know there will be all the reviews and some say just save more for at least a Les, Nighthawk, or a Working Man's Gun....but these 1911's are out there. If you have any, feel free to share.

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
Cimarron, Rock Island Armory, SDS, Girsan, Taurus, Springfield Defender, Kimber LW.

With careful shopping a nice pre-loved 1911 can be had too.

It's a tough time to be starting anything new right now. Prices are rising and supply is short. Both guns and ammo now are higher than a cats back.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
Out of your list, I would go with the Ruger and the main reason is their warranty if you ever needed it.
I would also not rule out a good used 1911 from some of the larger companies. You get what you pay for in 1911s most of the time.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree about Armscor (aka Rock Island Armory). So many people have good things to say about them, not just here but on all those other 1911 forums as well! Honest? Mine has around 1,100 rounds out of it, and I swear... It has NEVER had a problem at all. No FTF, FTE, mag issues, etc... etc... I've only shot 230gr "ball" out of it, and only 1 mag of Rem Golden Sabers JHP, as a test, and it gobbled those up too!

Attachments

• DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 14

Bear62

Fanatic
When the Ruger SR1911 light weight Commander came out, my best friend bought one. He sent me a picture and it made me want one. I found one a couple of months later, but had to drive 180 miles round trip to get it. My SR1911 has been flawless with not the first failure of any kind. He has had nothing but trouble from his. He has sent it back to Ruger twice, and it still is not reliable. He rarely gets a full magazine to empty without a problem. He hasn't been to the range but once since the last trip to Ruger, because of the pandemic. I feel bad for him. Since my first SR1911, I bought a LW Commander in 9mm and an Officers model in 9mm. Both of those also have been flawless. I assume my friend just got a jinxed SR1911, an extremely rare model.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
You fellas have the under a grand 1911 pretty well covered, I'd say. Lots of decent offerings and used, well if you can find one not bubba'd up, and know what to look for, good deals can be found.
Blackbeard a good idea you have for new buyers

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
Great topic. We all started somewhere. But for me there were no "cheap" guns with the goodies of today. We basically had Colt and Springfield, then as you could afford it you upgraded the same gun. It's a whole new world since Kimber rocked the 1911 market in 1996. It's been a full blown race since then. While I don't mean to be insulting, as I've matured and my tastes have changed, my advise is to buy as much gun as you can afford. You will most certainly move up the ladder, it's inevitable. I would have saved a ton of money by going through guns on my way up. Now will an RIA hit a steel target? Of course, depending on you. In my recent forays into the 1911 market, I'm seeing a reverse trend. Lower end guns and poly pistols are through the roof. Yet you can buy barely broken in upper end 1911's cheaper than ever. Great time to invest in a good quality gun.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
^^^^ this terrific advice. I've thought about all the $$$$ I could've saved following this. It is truly a different 1911 world since Kimber forced the 1911 world to adapt. Everyone would have the scar of hammer bite as I do. Buy the 1911 you want, even if it means saving for a while.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Out of your list, I would go with the Ruger and the main reason is their warranty if you ever needed it.
I would also not rule out a good used 1911 from some of the larger companies. You get what you pay for in 1911s most of the time.
Agreed. You get what you pay for.. Sometimes. I say find a good used quality 1911, have it checked out if you want..
It's nice when Dad hands down a worthwhile heirloom. Not some Yung-Fung-Dung throw away.

Sea leopard

Fanatic
I'm going to create a buyers guide for the starter 1911.

What do you think should be the focus price points? I'm targeting below $1000

So far I'm going to list the
  • Ruger SR1911 $800
  • ATI Firepower Xtreme 45ACP Military 1911 $450
  • American Classic II $700
I know there will be all the reviews and some say just save more for at least a Les, Nighthawk, or a Working Man's Gun....but these 1911's are out there. If you have any, feel free to share.
I will comment on the Ruger SR1911; I purchased this from Rural King years ago when the price was in the mid six hundreds.The only modification was to install Wilson sights which made me more accurate, no details as to the the materials and construction of the SR it is Ruger built and will stand it's ground against 1911's costing more than twice its current price. I would be interested in hearing about Rock Island 1911's and would be happy to share more on my Ruger.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Cimarron, Rock Island Armory, SDS, Girsan, Taurus, Springfield Defender, Kimber LW.

With careful shopping a nice pre-loved 1911 can be had too.

It's a tough time to be starting anything new right now. Prices are rising and supply is short. Both guns and ammo now are higher than a cats back.
I agree today is a seller's market, buyer beware. .Getting rid of undesirable arms is quit easy. buying a desirable 1911 for a price is quit hard. But, I still see many private sellers on A.L, and a few other sites that are quit reasonable. One best do his research before dropping $500-900. I always look for heirloom quality, one I will be passing down.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple of RIA's and to be honest they have never given me one bit of trouble. I added them to increase the depth with different sizes, capacities, and caliber. They have increased in price recently and I believe their quality/control has improved. Just my 2 cents worth.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Buddy picked up a Ruger 1911 at a pawn shop...it didn't work. He sent it to Ruger they fixed it at no cost to him...I love my Ruger service six 357...it makes a grreat hammer when out of ammo. Built to last.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
All great choices, amazing what can be had for 500-1000, I would add Desert Eagle/Bul Armory, same thing, these around 750-800 last I checked, I have Desert Eagle 5" bull barrel 9mm and Bul Armory bushing barrel 5" 9mm, bull barrel 5" illegal for IDPA, didn't realize that when I bought it so got another one with bushing barrel, both excellent but I will agree that you get more for money with Rock Island, fiber optic sights, G10 grips, magwell, great value for sure, still use bull barreled one for wildcat type matches but not IDPA, both extremely reliable, agree with checking out used market as well

BubbaLO7

New Fanatic
While I don't have a lot of 1911's, I have just one.. And I did a lot of hands on research prior to my purchase and asked every person I saw with a 1911.Do you like it..Would you buy it again or buy a different one? How does it shoot? Would you buy it again? Or buy a different one? Anything you would change on it? Most of them asked me if Id like to shoot theirs and I did.So I had a lot of information on them prior to my purchase..I did however rule out buying a 45 caliber for my first purchase. So I purchased the SR1911 Ruger Commander. I love it. It shoots very well. Never one Hiccup shooting all different types of 9mm ammo from match grade to cheap steel. Its been Flawless. I do like the REIA and the Dan Wesson & the Taurus as well.I paid $699. for my Ruger SR1911 about 3 years ago.

Petet D

Fanatic
I have a Remington R1 and a Ruger Commander. Both are under the 1k price point. Love both. I can put all shots into a golf ball sized hole with the R1 if I do my part. Ran and carried the Ruger bone stock for a while. Recently I had my Ruger bob tailed, front strap checkered and ambi safety installed to match the feel of my S&W E Commander (over the 1k mark). But those are preferences that I paid for long after. Not a "have to" for the budget buyer.

Latest posts