BoomerShooter.com Deer Hunting Contest!

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Ok pics will be posted tomorrow, but I got a Texas mule deer with a slug from my RNT/Nova at 90+ yards. Brenneke THD slug, dropped him with a neck shot. I hunted for 5 days in rifle areas, and didn't see a thing,.... switched to a shotgun area and got a 2 x 2 on the last day of the season.

It was so cold the first 5 pulls of the trigger got no round to fire, I had to disassemble the gun and put the bolt between two handwarmers to thaw the firing pin from its frozen position, all the while this buck is just walking away. He went over the top of a hill with his little harem and I went around and got in front and caught him midway down the canyon side.

Trapr

dennishoddy

Kudu's for having the good sense to use some hand warmers to get everything moving again. Hunts like that will stay with you forever, vs hunts where you just go out and kill something. I saw it was 2 degrees above around Clayton this morning, and not much better around Amarillo.
Was he tough to get out of the canyon?

Sounds like my hunt in NM several years ago. The dammed oil on/in the bolt would not let the firing pin fall.
Learned real quick to use solvent and get rid of all lubes, and go back with graphite in cold temps. 25 below zero.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
hopefully this pic shows up this pic shows my mule deer as well as SDWilliams mule deer. both gotten with slugs, hers in the last 30 minutes of the season, at 105yds. Both on the same day, don't let anyone tell you a low recoil slug isn't effective, although I will say stretching the shot to 100yds is pretty tough.

View attachment 1718

Trapr

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 59

dennishoddy

hopefully this pic shows upView attachment 1718 this pic shows my mule deer as well as SDWilliams mule deer. both gotten with slugs, hers in the last 30 minutes of the season, at 105yds. Both on the same day, don't let anyone tell you a low recoil slug isn't effective, although I will say stretching the shot to 100yds is pretty tough.

Trapr
Nice one Bigbrowndog!
I've never shot a deer with a slug, but saw a buddy shoot one as it was running away from
me. It's a very devastating round.

dennishoddy

Got a doe this evening. She fell into a swamp. It took two hours to get her to ground where the ATV could finish the 1/2 mile drag. I'm a little tired tonight, but happy.
Sorry for the crappy pic, but at that point in time, I really didn't care how the pic turned out.

8bd78990.jpg

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Didn't get anything boomer as I took me forever to find her and clean her and everything but here is my entry - I defer my entry to my dad - "aggiedad02" since I can't win and he helped me drag her ass out and cooked my ribeye while I cleaned her!!!

pre_1325479125__-1.jpg

handlebar

Well-Known Fanatic
Should the winner be the donor of something cool like that backpack for next year. It would be a way of keep the contest going. Just a thought.

dennishoddy

Ok, here is the official list of entry's to the deer contest.

Imhntn
Handlebar
Bullbuster
Porter
KLG(Kenny Gant)
WillR
Brandt 9913
ef9turbo
Kevin S.
Billy D
Trapr
Aggiedad02

We had some fantastic bucks taken, and really appreciate your participation in this contest!
The drawing will be this week, so stay tuned. :D

Latest posts